Confirmed with Link: Joey Daccord signed 3 years ( 1 way in year 3)

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I am completely flabbergasted at this comment. EVEN if, even if he completely sucks and is a career AHLer (I would not take that bet no matter the odds), all the one-way means is that he makes $800K no matter where he plays. Nothing more to it.

This is a no-lose contract and could very well be a steal in years 2 and 3.
I don't like it either. Goalies are brutal to project. Why gift him an NHL contract three years from now when he hasn't earned it yet?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
We will only have had 2 pro years by the time of the expansion draft. He ineligible.
I'm not sure about that. Brandon Maki on SBNATION says that he is eligible because he signed his pro contract 1n the 2018-19 season and played one game for the Sens. For expansion draft purposes that counts as one season. Ottawa will be exposing Daccord, Gustafsson and Hogberg assuming they protect Murray.

Last edited:

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Reactions: Ed Wood

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Out of all our kids in net, Daccord is the one I'm rooting for the most.

He's a battler and has been on a steady track of improvement since being drafted.

But I wonder...if the AHL is being shut down for the season (do we know what's happening yet???) how are we going to get enough ice for all our goalies?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I'm not sure about that. Brandon Maki on SBNATION says that he is eligible because he signed his pro contract 1n the 2018-19 season and played one game for the Sens. For expansion draft purposes that counts as one season. Ottawa will be exposing Daccord, Gustafsson and Hogberg assuming they protect Murray.
Oh f*** totally forgot about that game

h2

Mar 26, 2002
I would probably leave Murray unprotected.

There's a decent chance we could keep Daccord if Seattle selects one of the forwards that we'll have available. It's looking like we'll have to expose one of Abramov or Tierney with Paul, Watson, and Balcers also available. That selection might entice Seattle more than Daccord.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hogberg would likely get selected ahead of Daccord at this point. Not a knock on Daccord . He established himself as the #1 in Belleville last year.

Reactions: Yak

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
I don't like it either. Goalies are brutal to project. Why gift him an NHL contract three years from now when he hasn't earned it yet?
Again, 1-way doesn't guarantee NHL time. It's just a guaranteed salary. At 800K, who cares?
Also, as an employer you need to motivate your employees... dangle a carrot. This is a good move to me.

Reactions: DrEasy

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
There are 30 other teams with goalies to be left unprotected, I'm not sure this is something to worry about just yet. If he is indeed lights out, completely bonkers "do not lose this guy", leave Murray exposed.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Again, 1-way doesn't guarantee NHL time. It's just a guaranteed salary. At 800K, who cares?
Also, as an employer you need to motivate your employees... dangle a carrot. This is a good move to me.

We have like 5 goalies equally as likely to pan out as Joey. I don't want to be paying $4M to my AHL and ECHL goalies.

Do other teams make these kind of deals?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We have like 5 goalies equally as likely to pan out as Joey. I don't want to be paying $4M to my AHL and ECHL goalies.

Do we have 5 goalies equally likely to be ready for the NHL at the same time?

Daccord is 24, two years older than the next closest, Gustavsson, and 4 years older than the guy after that. Gus will be 25 when Daccord is in the 1-way year, Mando 23, Sogard 22 and Merilainin 21. Unlikely we will have multiple guys ready for that backup role in that specific year but if we do i guess thats a good problem to have.

We also might lose a guy to Seattle.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Do we have 5 goalies equally likely to be ready for the NHL at the same time?

Daccord is 24, two years older than the next closest, Gustavsson, and 4 years older than the guy after that. Gus will be 25 when Daccord is in the 1-way year, Mando 23, Sogard 22 and Merilainin 21. Unlikely we will have multiple guys ready for that backup role in that specific year but if we do i guess thats a good problem to have.

We also might lose a guy to Seattle.
I just dont see the point. It feels unnecessary to gift this security to a goalie prospect three years from now knowing how impossible they are to project. I'm not aware of any other teams doing this kind of deal and if that 800k turns into the reason we part with a player later I'll be pissed.

I bet the structure of this relates to the number of goalie prospects we're hoarding. Joey probably wanted a little guaranteed cash in hand now given the heavy competition.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to have him signed. It just looks like an overpayment for a guy that may never even crack the league.

Reactions: GCK

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I think a small part of giving the one-way year could be to discourage Seattle from taking him.

They've done it in the past as well. Mark Borowiecki and Max McCormick signed similar deals - there may be others that I'm forgetting.

I don't care for it myself, as it seems like an unnecessary risk. Very little upside for the team, but it's something they seem to think is prudent for some reason.

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think a small part of giving the one-way year could be to discourage Seattle from taking him.

They've done it in the past as well. Mark Borowiecki and Max McCormick signed similar deals - there may be others that I'm forgetting.

I don't care for it myself, as it seems like an unnecessary risk. Very little upside for the team, but it's something they seem to think is prudent for some reason.

I was going to mention that about Seattle.

I think of it as we are giving him a 340k per year AHL salary thats back loaded.

Kahkonen of the wild has a 1 way in year two

Ingram on NSH has a 1 way in year 3

Vladar in Boston has a 1 way in year 3

Last edited:
Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He is the best of the group, i think pretty substantially when you take into account how good he is at playng the puck. Complaining about this is unbelievable to me. Sens are going to have a hard decision to make next year if Murray doesnt play well.

Reactions: OD99

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
He is the best of the group, i think pretty substantially when you take into account how good he is at playng the puck. Complaining about this is unbelievable to me. Sens are going to have a hard decision to make next year if Murray doesnt play well.
I guess we'll see in 3 years how this pans out.

EDIT:. Wait? How is it "unbelievable" to question the logic of giving a prospect goalie with zero nhl games a one-year deal three years from now? Thats a bit rich, man.

Last edited:

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Just for fun, go back 4 years and look at the goalies who put up better than daccords .915 sv% in the AHL. There were 15 guys who did it and most of them weren't in the nhl last season. I like Daccord, but the smart money is on that cash going to him playing in the minors.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Just for fun, go back 4 years and look at the goalies who put up better than daccords .915 sv% in the AHL. There were 15 guys who did it and virtually none of them were in the nhl last season. I like Daccord, but the smart money is on that cash going to him playing in the minors.
strange place to pick a bone with a signing imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad