Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmunson to Washington for 3rd and 7th rounders-Montreal retains 50%

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
1688236096384.png

1688236161084.png

1688236215316.png

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Edmundson was the Orpik to the Habs finals run. He's had injury troubles and is getting old but he brings an element of physicality to the Caps backend that has been missing. I approve of the deal. Worst case scenario he is a 1,75 mil cap hog in a season where we weren't going anywhere anyways.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Coming in peace as a Habs fan.
You guys got a good veteran on a low salary and are likely to recoup the pick if you're out of the playoffs by the deadline. He's a great complementary D who would be terrific on a 3d pair with the ability to step up to top 4 in spurts. Habs are going through a rebuild from scratch otherwise he'd have been kept despite some issues after many injuries.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Washington extend him, honestly.

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I'm fully prepared for the Caps to suck in 23-24 while working in youth and paying off bad contracts. This move here though is really bad. At best, he turns into a 2nd round pick several months from now. He'd also be useful in a tank, so we have that going for us, which is nice.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
BM said today the Montreal doctors told him he was healthy the last 20 games. Habs last 20 games: Edmundson 20 gp, 1 g, 6 a, 7 p, -8, 19:19 avg TOI. Team went 5-13-2 in that stretch.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
BM said today the Montreal doctors told him he was healthy the last 20 games. Habs last 20 games: Edmundson 20 gp, 1 g, 6 a, 7 p, -8, 19:19 avg TOI. Team went 5-13-2 in that stretch.

Yeah, that's one of those things that doesn't really tell you much though. Maybe he made them worse, maybe he made them better, maybe his contributions as one guy couldn't or didn't move the needle either way.

What I trust is that Mac and his staff did their due diligence both medically and in watching those performances and responded accordingly. He's always had a good nose for this kind of thing. Gus was a "horrible!!" addition same time last year and turned out pretty great.

Still remains to be seen how much we'll need him. Where's the "Are we just GIFTING this spot to Alexeyev/Johansen?" crowd now? They wouldn't shut up last year, lol.

I like that we got an established player that might have real upside to add depth, provide some thump, and push those kids to win that spot.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
To those saying Justin Schultz turned out fine in DC…pass me what you’re having! Unless it’s drugs. I don’t do drugs.

Schultz got $4 million a year to play in the top 4 and absolutely defecated the bed in that role. He was below replacement in 21-22 on the third pairing and only looked ok at times because TVR did the heavy lifting on that pairing.

Pretty much all of the good defensive acquisitions MacLellan has made have been with guys with good numbers and all of his bad acquisitions have been guys with bad numbers. Edmundson’s numbers are bad and this is going to be a bad acquisition in all likelihood. Caleb Jones would have been a much better bet and I suspect will be a similar price and wouldn’t have cost draft picks.

Reactions: Hivemind

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
Meh. Not a huge fan but this board told me Justin Schultz and Erik Gustafson were going to stink and they both did well here. I’ll wait and see how he looks on the ice.

They could probably get their third rounder back at the deadline if he’s even halfway decent this year.
They might get more than a third if they eat another 50% on his contract at the deadline. The cap crunch this season is a significant factor this offseason.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I wasn't a big fan of this but i get it's for additional leadership, size and grit. In a year where teams overpay for it, it's not brutal. I wouldn’t have done it but it is what it is.

As for how he plays, i hope you can't draw much of a conclusion from last season. He's on the downswing but he was thrown to the wolves late last season.

Habs played him against top competition on a brutal team and D core and his late season game logs had him over 22 minutes several times and even over 23 minutes once. That's a tanking move. If he plays more than bottom-pairing minutes + PK... we aren't likely going to be a very good team. But in that role he could be serviceable while providing that leadership and grit. Maybe he can teach Alexeyev and Fehervary to clear the crease better.

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I wasn't a big fan of this but i get it's for additional leadership, size and grit. In a year where teams overpay for it, it's not brutal. I wouldn’t have done it but it is what it is.

As for how he plays, i hope you can't draw much of a conclusion from last season. He's on the downswing but he was thrown to the wolves late last season.

Havs played him against top competition on a brutal team and D core and his late season game logs had him over 22 minutes several times and even over 23 minutes once. That's a tanking move. If he plays more than bottom-pairing minutes + PK... we aren't likely going to be a very good team. But in that role he could be serviceable while providing that leadership and grit. Maybe he can teach Alexeyev and Fehervary to clear the crease better.
Yeah, if he's healthy the practice battle quotient alone should be nice to have around, show the kids how it needs to be to take the next step

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018

Habs played him against top competition on a brutal team and D core and his late season game logs had him over 22 minutes several times and even over 23 minutes once. That's a tanking move. If he plays more than bottom-pairing minutes + PK... we aren't likely going to be a very good team. But in that role he could be serviceable while providing that leadership and grit. Maybe he can teach Alexeyev and Fehervary to clear the crease better.
Yeah, I really can't think of a way for him to have been in a more difficult situation last season besides making him play with a hand tied behind his back. Eating the toughest minutes while paired primarily with two 21 year old rookies (Guhle and Barron) for a tanking team with terrible goaltending in a division with 5 of the 9 highest scoring teams in the NHL, all while recovering from injuries. If he put up even average numbers last year he would've deserved the Norris. Also, fun fact I just stumbled across: he was the unluckiest player in the NHL last year. He had the lowest on-ice S%+Sv% in the league (min 60 GP). His on-ice save percentage was the lowest in a single 60+ GP season since they started tracking that stat in 09-10.

Now he's got a full offseason to get healthy, and he'll likely get tough but not overwhelming minutes playing with TVR on the third pairing. He only turned 30 a week ago, so he's actually younger than the whole right side of the defense. Bouncing back to what he was two years ago really isn't that farfetched.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jags

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad