Confirmed with Link: Joel Edmunson to Washington for 3rd and 7th rounders-Montreal retains 50%

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Hopefully they can flip him for more at the deadline. Not sure the direction the team is taking. If they can’t improve the forwards they are just shuffling chairs around while wasting draft picks.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I actually don’t mind this deal. An extra 3rd and 7th for a big bodied defenseman and Montreal retained half his salary. Not a bad deal. None of the prospects in Hershey were bound to make the jump. LuJo is the only one near NHL ready but he could easily slot into a 7th D position.

Fehervary could be asking for too much money and could be gone in a trade for a top 6 forward. Hopefully we aren’t bidding farewell for out top pair, future lock for the hall of fame

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Just a reminder that Alexeyev couldn’t beat out Matt Irwin and Dylan McIlrath (at the end of the season) for playing time. Yes I know Irwin is Lavi’s boy and is probably a Ranger today

Reactions: RandyHolt

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I kind of like it as a 6/7 D because they always make this kind of move at the deadline but must have been god awful last year

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Just a reminder that Alexeyev couldn’t beat out Matt Irwin and Dylan McIlrath (at the end of the season) for playing time. Yes I know Irwin is Lavi’s boy and is probably a Ranger today
That had nothing to do with AA plays and everything to do with Lavi.

I also think people were kidding themselves if they really thought they were going to go into next year with Sandin, Fehervary, and AA as their depth at LD. They were always going to add a veteran somewhere.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Wow, a lot of doom here for adding a D that after retention has a 1.75M cap hit for one year, for the cost of one of the Caps three 2024 3rds (the Minnesota one, so probably middle or last of the 3). Worst case, he's the type of guy you can always get a 3rd for at the deadline, maybe a 2nd if he's had a decent year and stayed healthy and the Caps retain another 50%.

Reactions: pth2

JayBeagleFanAccount

May 30, 2018
Washington, DC
it’s so funny how bowel movement talks all off season about injecting youth into the lineup and then his first move in free agency is to trade picks for a 30 year old garbage defenseman, buddy has completely lost the plot

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
This is totally fine. He's big. He's serviceable. And he's been to the finals. And he's cheap.
It’s not the worst deal ever. But they still have limited cap space and I’d rather see that money go towards a top six forward.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
Edmundson as a veteran depth dman makes sense to me only if we’re trading a dman. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Fehervary go out for a bigger deal. I’m not a fan of losing a 3rd for him in a vacuum. This addition doesn’t move the needle for this team.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
It’s not the worst deal ever. But they still have limited cap space and I’d rather see that money go towards a top six forward.
They were going to have to add at least one more defenseman besides signing Fehervary, and Edmundson at 1.75 is about 8-900K more expensive than the minimum they could've been paying. This really isn't a huge roadblock to making changes to the top 6, they would've needed to move someone to make a change before this anyway and that's still the case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad