Waived: Joel Armia and Gustav Lindström waived (cleared)

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Armia is probably still better than Pearson and Gallagher… Even when production isn’t there he still reliable and way harder to push off the puck…
I agree, but I think it's his lackluster effort that's the problem. Gally is washed and barely 4th line-level but maybe his leadership is seen as what puts him over the edge. He's respected in the org so it's not that easy to just ship him to Laval for the year and call it a day.

Just this once

Feb 22, 2019
I checked out the page. Do you or anyone else know in the Habs specific case, does the club accrue space once the Armia/Xhekaj flip is/was done?

Once we flip Price and Dvorak, will we be able to accrue the difference?
They won't accrue, but they will get a lump some for both those moves.
So around 300k for the Armia swap and 7M for the Price swap.
You only accrue when you are below the cap, and right now they are at cap space.

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I agree, but I think it's his lackluster effort that's the problem. Gally is washed and barely 4th line-level but maybe his leadership is seen as what puts him over the edge. He's respected in the org so it's not that easy to just ship him to Laval for the year and call it a day.
Gallagher has a full no movement. Laval will never be an option for him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They won't accrue, but they will get a lump some for both those moves.
So around 300k for the Armia swap and 7M for the Price swap.
You only accrue when you are below the cap, and right now they are at cap space.
So, we have zero space ro start. We get:
0.321M for Armia-Xhekaj swap
6.050M for Price-Dvorak swap
0.890M when Primeau is waived to activate Dvo
0.762M by putting Wideman on LTIR until he can be waived

8.023M Total cap space "lump sum"

Now suppose we call up a 900k guy like Heineman for short term injury purposes and he stays for 1/10 of the season.

After we send him back down, do we still have 8.023M of space to add an 8.000 player?

Or did we lose 900k?

Or did we lose just 90k?

Secondly, when we add an 8.000M player with 25% of the season remaining, does he count for 2.000M on our cap or 8.000M?

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Whether he can turn his career around or not, because of his age, he's not part of the future. So better to put him on waivers than Ylonen or Primeau, who at least have a chance of being a part of the future.
Yes but you mention two names who aren't really hot but I agree they still has a chance to pan out.
I think the names should be mentioned considering real future plans are Heineman, Pezzata, Beck, Mesar, Roy, etc. I know for the moment it's a matter of protected list. Ylonen and Primeau may not really figure in great future plans but they can improve and become tradable. Having Armia cut some chances somewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 26Mats

ML16

Aug 28, 2020
Montreal
So, we have zero space ro start. We get:
0.321M for Armia-Xhekaj swap
6.050M for Price-Dvorak swap
0.890M when Primeau is waived to activate Dvo
0.762M by putting Wideman on LTIR until he can be waived

8.023M Total cap space "lump sum"

Now suppose we call up a 900k guy like Heineman for short term injury purposes and he stays for 1/10 of the season.

After we send him back down, do we still have 8.023M of space to add an 8.000 player?

Or did we lose 900k?

Or did we lose just 90k?

Secondly, when we add an 8.000M player with 25% of the season remaining, does he count for 2.000M on our cap or 8.000M?

According to a PuckPedia:

If a team is not in LTIR (under the cap), then all cap hits are pro-rated. When a player is traded, the new team takes on their cap hit pro-rated for the remaining days in the season. In the case of this season, they would be taking on the player's cap hit * (42 days / 185 days).

For LTIR teams however, cap hits are not pro-rated. So an LTIR team needs room in LTIR for the entire cap hit, with no pro-rating.

Reactions: Habs 4 ever

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
According to a PuckPedia:

If a team is not in LTIR (under the cap), then all cap hits are pro-rated. When a player is traded, the new team takes on their cap hit pro-rated for the remaining days in the season. In the case of this season, they would be taking on the player's cap hit * (42 days / 185 days).

For LTIR teams however, cap hits are not pro-rated. So an LTIR team needs room in LTIR for the entire cap hit, with no pro-rating.

Thanks you answered the second question. We need $8.000M of room to fit in the $8.000M player.

Any idea on the first question? We bring up Heineman for 18 days and then send him back down. While up, he counts 100% on the cap, ok got it. But after we send him back down, do we still have the room to take on an $8.000M player, or did we lose some due to the callup?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Thanks you answered the second question. We need $8.000M of room to fit in the $8.000M player.

Any idea on the first question? We bring up Heineman for 18 days and then send him back down. While up, he counts 100% on the cap, ok got it. But after we send him back down, do we still have the room to take on an $8.000M player, or did we lose some due to the callup?
The team recuperates the cap hit at 100%. So if they had the room for a $8m player before, they have it again after sending the extra player down.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The team recuperates the cap hit at 100%. So if they had the room for a $8m player before, they have it again after sending the extra player down.
OK, so I understand that we do not accrue cap space, but it seems we also do not accrue cap usage. That's fair.

If we activated Dvorak ($4.450M) and demoted Primeau ($890k), then traded Monty ($1.000M) for an $8.000M goalie today, costing us $7.000M -- could we put Wideman on LTIR, and still have $1.023k of room left if we need a short-term injury callup?

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
It's a nepotism move, is what youre saying. Gallys job is safe, not because he's a better player, but because he's more "respected" and has been here longer.

Get this clown off my f***ing team.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
It's a nepotism move, is what youre saying. Gallys job is safe, not because he's a better player, but because he's more "respected" and has been here longer.

Bargain bin did a masterful job of anchoring us to that contract long term...

Can't waive him
Can't buy him out without ridiculous cost
Can't trade him without paying a big premium

That's why he's planted in the Habs NHL roster, has nothing to do with nepotism is preferential treatment imo

Reactions: Runner77

BarracudaMtl

Apr 15, 2018
Armia could do a lot of good in Laval if he goes in with the right attitude, being such a young team and all. I doubt he's the Alzner type personalitywise though.

this is just Armia's problem, he has no attitude.

We want to see emotions from our players, to feel that they are just as concerned about the team as we are.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

No one is signing up for Gally's cap hit, unfortuntely.

Meanwhile, he scored at an 18 goal pace last year, better toward the end than the beginning.

On the ice, giving him a chance to produce in a bottom 6 role is not crazy. Even if he pots 14 this year and is healthy, it is not going to hurt us.

But I sure hope his initial tenure on PP2 does not continue unless he is contributing. RHP could take his place if he re-finds his scoring touch.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Gallagher is still on the team because he gives an honest effort and despite declining at a steep pace, he's still hard to play against in front of the net and is still fairly good defensively.

If Armia gave an honest effort, he would probably still be on the club.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Armia is probably still better than Pearson and Gallagher… Even when production isn’t there he still reliable and way harder to push off the puck…
Gallagher and Pearson are Canadian...they suck because they're worn down from years of hard battles.

Armia is finish...he sucks because he doesn't care or try.

:sarcasm:

Gallagher is still on the team because he gives an honest effort and despite declining at a steep pace, he's still hard to play against in front of the net and is still fairly good defensively.

Gallagher, as much as I don't like saying this, has earned the benefit of the doubt to still play a meaningful role on this team.

I just hope they don't stick to it beyond common sense, if a guy like Ylonen plays better, he should play ahead of him.

But Gallagher should have an opportunity early in the year and from what I understand, he's very keen on proving people wrong.
If Armia gave an honest effort, he would probably still be on the club.
I really don't think effort is the issue with Armia as much as a very, very fragile confidence , is.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bargain bin did a masterful job of anchoring us to that contract long term...

Can't waive him
Can't buy him out without ridiculous cost
Can't trade him without paying a big premium

That's why he's planted in the Habs NHL roster, has nothing to do with nepotism is preferential treatment imo
Im pretty sure you can actually waive a player even if he has a NMC. You would just have to pay out the contract. Contract termination also exist. (Btw look up nepotism)

Last edited:

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Im pretty sure you can actually waive a player even if he has a NMC. You would just have to pay out the contract. Contract termination also exist. (Btw look up nepotism)
NMC prevents Gally from being waived / sent to the AHL. It does not prevent the team from buying him out though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00