Speculation: Joe Thornton to Vegas?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Sick that despite cutting costs, The Athletic still employs Kevin Kurz, who is a complete clown that posts ridiculous Tweets like this for the purpose of trolling fans? Yes, I am a tad sick.

I've been a Sharks fan for years and it's an absolute travesty that this guy is employed. Kurz is a terrible writer and an even worse human being, and the world would be a better place if he were unemployed and on the street begging for change and a truly capable individual had his job instead.

Yikes. Care to fill in the rest of us on why hes a terrible human so we can join in the hate? :)

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Yikes. Care to fill in the rest of us on why hes a terrible human so we can join in the hate? :)
Always has snarky responses to fans. Talks down to fans like they’re idiots (not even to the ones that truly are idiots either, usually reasonable comments), thinks his opinion on hockey is the only one that matters and all of the SJ fans just hate him because he’s from Philly and not that he’s a shitty journalist. Never breaks any news because he doesn’t have connections. Doesn’t write any in depth analytical articles.

Reactions: DJB

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Come on. What if Tom Brady went to go play for the Jets (other than it being hilarious), Big Papi left for the Yankees, ect. Get it together man for real

Also, sometimes the Kurz hate gets annoying to see all the time, and then he does this and I remember he deserves it

Tom Brady is a literal god in New England, so I think people would be frustrated but get over it. Joe Thornton is not comparable to Tom Brady.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Tom Brady is a literal god in New England, so I think people would be frustrated but get over it. Joe Thornton is not comparable to Tom Brady.
They're both 1st ballot hofers. Just because Brady is worshipped in the land of dwarfs doesn't make the point the other poster made any less valid.

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Climbing to the top of all time leader boards will keep Joe in the NHL. Hopefully with a team that's not the Sharks. Time to move on.
Then.....Comeback on a 1 day deal to retire as a Shark

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
They're both 1st ballot hofers. Just because Brady is worshipped in the land of dwarfs doesn't make the point the other poster made any less valid.

I wouldn't rate the fanbase being mad at Joe as childish myself, but I'm not sure that was his point. It seems his point was just to make an excuse for it seeming childish, instead of outright refuting that it is childish - which I would agree with.

1st ballot HOFers lmao. That doesn't make the comparison the other poster made any more valid or less hilarious. When you actually win championships and go down as the GOAT, your fanbase affords you more rope. Thornton has done neither for the Sharks.

This isn't even Sharks hate, I wouldn't be out here comparing McDavid to Tom Brady either.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I wouldn't rate the fanbase being mad at Joe as childish myself, but I'm not sure that was his point. It seems his point was just to make an excuse for it seeming childish, instead of outright refuting that it is childish - which I would agree with.

1st ballot HOFers lmao. That doesn't make the comparison the other poster made any more valid or less hilarious. When you actually win championships and go down as the GOAT, your fanbase affords you more rope. Thornton has done neither for the Sharks.

This isn't even Sharks hate, I wouldn't be out here comparing McDavid to Tom Brady either.
Comparing a qb winning championships to a center in hockey not is asinine. Qb's have the ball in their hands for most of the game. Thornton can't help how his team is constructed. Just the same as McDavid can't help the fact Oilers management is trash.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If it's about the rope your fanbase afford you then there's no difference. It's not about the championships won. The fans love Jumbo here. He doesn't need to win championships or go down as the GOAT for that to apply.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast

So you're now questioning whether Jumbo is a first ballot HOF, and saying that our emotional experience as fans that watched him the last 15 years win a Hart, WCF, Gold Medal ect is less valid just cause he didnt win a ship. Whatever dude, you're out to lunch on that one. But now there is a small part of me that hopes one day McDavid signs with Calgary, just so you can get a taste of your own shit take

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Sick that despite cutting costs, The Athletic still employs Kevin Kurz, who is a complete clown that posts ridiculous Tweets like this for the purpose of trolling fans? Yes, I am a tad sick.

I've been a Sharks fan for years and it's an absolute travesty that this guy is employed. Kurz is a terrible writer and an even worse human being, and the world would be a better place if he were unemployed and on the street begging for change and a truly capable individual had his job instead.

I feel like there are a lot of stories Sharks fans should share with the class. :D

Apr 9, 2009
USA

Why do you care this much about someone speculating on Twitter? He acknowledged that he was "thinking out loud" and even explained why he felt this way. It isn't a big deal. My goodness.

Reactions: CupInSIX

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
So you're now questioning whether Jumbo is a first ballot HOF, and saying that our emotional experience as fans that watched him the last 15 years win a Hart, WCF, Gold Medal ect is less valid just cause he didnt win a ship. Whatever dude, you're out to lunch on that one. But now there is a small part of me that hopes one day McDavid signs with Calgary, just so you can get a taste of your own shit take

Nope, I'm not questioning that he is a 1st ballot. The 'lmao' was that Joe Thornton = Tom Brady because they are both "1st ballot HOF". McDavid can sign anywhere he likes at 40+ years old, that's how a business works, he's earned the right.... I don't think it's childish if you were to be mad about him signing somewhere else in the short term. To say that it would ruin every bit of goodwill is utter nonsense, and I do think that is totally stupid. You're getting all upset about my comment and heaping glowing praise on Jumbo for all the things he did in a SJS sweater, but then you're going to what?...Be mad that he plays a year or two for a team that didn't even exist for the majority of his career and hold it against him haha. It's not like he's going to Anaheim or LA. Another reason why the comparison was stupid.

The Sharks are still going to retire his number, and you'll most likely still be clapping along at the ceremony when they do. You might get your wish if Hall signs in CGY this year, not that he is comparable to Jumbo. Will it suck when Hall scores against us? Sure. Will I have a tantrum and hold a grudge against him because he ruined all his goodwill toward the city? Lmao, no. That's CGY/EDM, a rivalry that is much more fleshed out than SJS/VGK. You keep reaching for things that really aren't that comparable.

Seems my "take" has hurt you as much as Kurz has hurt others in your fanbase. Better get that looked at.

Comparing a qb winning championships to a center in hockey not is asinine. Qb's have the ball in their hands for most of the game. Thornton can't help how his team is constructed. Just the same as McDavid can't help the fact Oilers management is trash.

Tom Brady is the Greatest Of All Time in the sport of Football, the type of sport is irrelevant. His comparables are Michael Jordan, and Wayne Gretzky.

How many times have the Sharks made the playoffs the last 15 years? Jumbo has had a ridiculous number of post season attempts, what is this about the construction of the team.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
I thought if he was leaving he'd go to Dallas via the Tom Holy connection. I also understand they've tried to acquire him on multiple occasions. Realistically, I think he's a Shark or nothing.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Why do you care this much about someone speculating on Twitter? He acknowledged that he was "thinking out loud" and even explained why he felt this way. It isn't a big deal. My goodness.

Because it's not somebody speculating on Twitter. It's somebody trolling Sharks fans on Twitter. And that somebody happens to be a staff writer at The Athletic who covers the San Jose Sharks, and who has a history of doing this.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Nope, I'm not questioning that he is a 1st ballot. The 'lmao' was that Joe Thornton = Tom Brady because they are both "1st ballot HOF". McDavid can sign anywhere he likes at 40+ years old, that's how a business works, he's earned the right.... I don't think it's childish if you were to be mad about him signing somewhere else in the short term. To say that it would ruin every bit of goodwill is utter nonsense, and I do think that is totally stupid. You're getting all upset about my comment and heaping glowing praise on Jumbo for all the things he did in a SJS sweater, but then you're going to what?...Be mad that he plays a year or two for a team that didn't even exist for the majority of his career and hold it against him haha. It's not like he's going to Anaheim or LA. Another reason why the comparison was stupid.

The Sharks are still going to retire his number, and you'll most likely still be clapping along at the ceremony when they do. You might get your wish if Hall signs in CGY this year, not that he is comparable to Jumbo. Will it suck when Hall scores against us? Sure. Will I have a tantrum and hold a grudge against him because he ruined all his goodwill toward the city? Lmao, no. That's CGY/EDM, a rivalry that is much more fleshed out than SJS/VGK. You keep reaching for things that really aren't that comparable.

Seems my "take" has hurt you as much as Kurz has hurt others in your fanbase. Better get that looked at.

Tom Brady is the Greatest Of All Time in the sport of Football, the type of sport is irrelevant. His comparables are Michael Jordan, and Wayne Gretzky.

How many times have the Sharks made the playoffs the last 15 years? Jumbo has had a ridiculous number of post season attempts, what is this about the construction of the team.
Qb, yes. Jerry Rice is the best overall player ever.

Just because a team consistently makes the playoffs doesn't mean they don't have flaws. The best team Wilson has put together is the same one that won the conference, and Joe was a big part of that.

Also, a team is much more likely to win a championship in football when making the playoffs than hockey, statistically speaking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad