Joe Thornton suspended 1 game for headshot on Nosek (title updated)

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
League has become softer than a babes bum
Should reward players for these hits
It must be hard to deal with this modern day figure skating NHL as you eat glass, deadlift cars and crush p***y while watching the game.

Thornton could've tried to hit the body and smoked Nosek properly. Instead he took the opportunity to do a fly by headshot, likely because at this stage of his career Jumbo is too slow to throw a proper open ice hit without taking himself well out of the play.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
He was rewarded, with a suspension, which is the only reward he deserves. He can take a seat.

Seriously, people, do you think you sound tough when you make light of head shots? You don't. You sound ignorant. This isn't the past, where there was less awareness of the long-term effects of head injuries. We're far more aware of the risks, so if this play is an example of people being soft you might need to educate yourself on those risks.

Short version? This isn't a toughness issue. It has nothing to do with being soft. This has to do with potential brain damage.

Your brain just needs to get tougher durrrrrr

Reactions: Sojourn

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Which... is the entire issue?

I don't see why people need to grow a set. Thornton took a shot at an opposing player's head, for no other reason than he could. Concussions are a serious problem. You're basically accusing people toughen up because they think head shots are a big deal, and they are.

What Thornton did was stupid and dangerous, and he's lucky it didn't lead to an head injury.

I agree that head shots are a major issue and need to be addressed by the NHL and I believe they have been. I think everyone can agree CTE is an awful thing and no one wishes that on anyone.

That said, Thornton literally just skated through a guy. Did not charge. Did not throw a nasty elbow. Just skated. That’s what I’m complaining about. You can’t even skate anymore? You need to stop skating in open ice because you may hit someone in the head? May Joe should also apologize for being so tall as well.

It’s ridiculous, this is hockey.

Edit: It’s really not ignorant to believe that not all headshots are equal. Is Kucherov’s recent one as bad as Matt Cooke’s on Savard? Kucherov’s or Thornton? I mean If you wanna do away with head shots because of concussions, you might as well just take out fighting and hitting all together so we can watch pond-style hockey.

Realgud

Jersey ads are a disgrace
Nov 4, 2013
realguddraftsimulator.com
I agree that head shots are a major issue and need to be addressed by the NHL and I believe they have been. I think everyone can agree CTE is an awful thing and no one wishes that on anyone.

That said, Thornton literally just skated through a guy. Did not charge. Did not throw a nasty elbow. Just skated. That’s what I’m complaining about. You can’t even skate anymore? You need to stop skating in open ice because you may hit someone in the head? May Joe should also apologize for being so tall as well.

Honestly, you could be right in most circumstances. But this is Joe Thornton we are talking about. This isn't the first time AND he's been looking to injure someone the whole game, so this is not a random occurence.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Honestly, you could be right in most circumstances. But this is Joe Thornton we are talking about. This isn't the first time AND he's been looking to injure someone the whole game, so this is not a random occurence.

I do know about his history (I’m a Stars fan) and I wasn’t watching the game so I didn’t see it in that light. But that’s a fair comment.

But it’s kind of shocking seeing the outcry over that hit. If you’re looking at it from Noseks perspective then yeah it’s an awful hit but I felt the need to defend Jumbo.

Reactions: Realgud

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Edit: It’s really not ignorant to believe that not all headshots are equal. Is Kucherov’s recent one as bad as Matt Cooke’s on Savard? Kucherov’s or Thornton? I mean If you wanna do away with head shots because of concussions, you might as well just take out fighting and hitting all together so we can watch pond-style hockey.

Don’t be ridiculous. He skated through his head. That’s an important thing to be clear on. It was unnecessary, it was dangerous, and he deserved to sit for it. It was completely avoidable and he didn’t even attempt to, so it stands to reason he knew what he was doing because he didn’t even try to make body contact. His own words make it clear he knew he hit the guy, and he just didn’t think much of it.

I also didn’t say all head shots are equal. If he had put more force behind it, the punishment would have been more severe. He wasn’t punished for “just skating” he was punished for taking a shot to the head of an opposing player. The fact that he didn’t throw an elbow, or charge is why it wasn’t a bigger suspension. That doesn’t make what he did okay, and it wasn’t “just hockey.”

You’re asking us to give him credit because he didn’t do something worse. Why in the world should anyone do that? He took a shot to the head of another player, but there is no need to be upset because it could have been even worse? That’s absurd.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
This wasn’t a play where head contact was a result of the player shifting at the last second, or just head contact that can result from a body check. Those are hockey plays. Thornton straight up took a shot at an opposing player’s head, with no effort to avoid it, or even make an otherwise clean check. It’s a head shot. Simple as that. It isn’t hockey.

A game or two was deserved. He’s not the Devil or anything, but it was a cheap garbage play from him and it needed a response from the league.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
Don’t be ridiculous. He skated through his head. It was unnecessary, it was dangerous, and he deserved to sit for it. It was completely avoidable and he didn’t even attempt to, so it stands to reason he knew what he was doing because he didn’t even try to make body contact.

Every hit is potentially dangerous. Pretty much every hit can be avoidable. I don’t believe that the only onus is the player who could potentially be hit but also the player who puts themselves in bad spots.

It’s definitely a penalty. A match penalty at most. But bringing out the pitchforks is beyond absurd.

I also didn’t say all head shots are equal. If he had put more force behind it, the punishment would have been more severe.

My point is the punishment is too severe now.

You’re asking us to give him credit because he didn’t do something worse. Why in the world should anyone do that? He took a shot to the head of another player, but there is no need to be upset because it could have been even worse? That’s absurd.

I never once said that he deserves credit. I’m saying what he did was not wrong; the criteria that justifies suspending someone (in my eyes; clearly not the NHLs) is not simply a “headshot” — there needs to be more intent (not just apathy) and a clear improper use of force and/or distinct action that is punishable. Skating through someone, in my opinion, is absolutely not.

And simply because it’s a hit to the head does not make it a “headshot”. So yes I do believe people need to toughen up. Better yet, wake up. Hockey is a dangerous sport; there will be dangerous hits; there will be concussions. We’re okay with Svechnikov’s decision to fight OV and be knocked out but we’re not OK with Jumbo Joe for skating through a player and not caring if his head was there or not. I guess verbal agreement of “please scramble my brains” is necessary rather than being apathetic to your body position and other players whereabouts. But yes, concussions! CTE! You ignorant buffoons!

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
If I had all day I couldn’t list all the reasons you come across as backwards here, but I’ll tell you I learned something today: Intentionally hitting someone in the head isn’t a head shot.

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what a head shot is. By its very definition. It’s an intentional hit to the head. A shot to the head. A “head shot.”

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
this is why jumbo has made it so long without garnering a reputation

a master of "accidentally on purpose"

if you think Thornton is a master at this, then every other single NHL player with any reasonable experience is a grand-master.

I'll agree to Thornton shading his illegal plays, like any other NHL player...but that play came upon him, by surpirse, not a normal pattern. So take it as you will

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
If I had all day I couldn’t list all the reasons you come across as backwards here, but I’ll tell you I learned something today: Intentionally hitting someone in the head isn’t a head shot.

I’m pretty sure that’s exactly what a head shot is. By its very definition. It’s an intentional hit to the head. A shot to the head. A “head shot.”

Not sure if you’re being intentionally dense or just refusing to read what I said.

Apathy to hitting someone in the head is totally different than seeking to hit someone in the head. I say it’s different; you say it’s not. Agree to disagree I guess. I’ll stay in the dark ages while keeping an open mind to differing views. Hope you can do the same with your “enlightened” views.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Not sure if you’re being intentionally dense or just refusing to read what I said.

Apathy to hitting someone in the head is totally different than seeking to hit someone in the head. I say it’s different; you say it’s not. Agree to disagree I guess. I’ll stay in the dark ages while keeping an open mind to differing views. Hope you can do the same with your “enlightened” views.

If you’re aware headshots are against the rules, and dangerous, you aren’t being apathetic when you skate through someone’s head. You’re being dirty.

And if you’re aware you will skate through a player’s head, and you don’t make the effort to avoid it, you’re hitting them in the head intentionally. Indifference to potential injury is not a defense.

I guess it didn’t take me a day to list all the ways you came across as backwards. It took a couple of sentences. He deserved a game, and he’s lucky it wasn’t more and an injury didn’t result.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

When you reference the first time, I presume you are referring to the questionable suspension from the Perron hit in 2010? Such a history......

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

With his two+ decades of NHL skating experience and the amount of time he had to not skate through a player’s head, Thornton absolutely meant to do what he did. A legal hit with head contact is part of the game. This wasn’t that. He could have missed him entirely, or he could have legally just blown him up going through the center of his body (with head contact). This was predatory garbage, and it’s sophistry pretending otherwise.

Reactions: Sojourn

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
And he is a future hall of famer Reaves whereas the only way you are getting there is buying a ticket. A matter of fact I don't even think Reaves deserves to even visit the hall of fame. He should be thankful the NHL allows ****ty players to play this game.
And now you are chirping a legitimate NHL'er when the only way you'll get there is by buying a ticket.

A guy is chirping someone who just cheapshot his teammate, not sure why your that has your dander up

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
And if you’re aware you will skate through a player’s head, and you don’t make the effort to avoid it, you’re hitting them in the head intentionally. Indifference to potential injury is not a defense.

I guess it didn’t take me a day to list all the ways you came across as backwards. It took a couple of sentences. He deserved a game, and he’s lucky it wasn’t more and an injury didn’t result.

Yep. You got me.

You’re stating an opinion as fact. This is your perception. The amount of smugness and arrogance in your post is quite humourous actually.

You’re making assumptions about intent and his lack of willingness to avoid it (which I actually do agree with). But we have no clue about his “intent” at all. In fact, I do believe that if it was his “intent” to hit him in the head then it’s a headshot. As I’ve stated. Multiple times now. But I cannot believe one can sit around and know, for a fact, that was his intention. It’s a fast game and both parties are responsible for player safety. He deserved at best a match penalty. That’s my own opinion. But at least took my initial approach down a notch and tried having a decent conversation. Too bad it wasn’t the same coming from you expected more from an older poster quite frankly

I’m not defending Jumbo Joe. At all. I’m not a fan of his or the Sharks. Just disagreeing on semantics at this point really. No sense in pursing it anymore.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
And now you are chirping a legitimate NHL'er when the only way you'll get there is by buying a ticket.

A guy is chirping someone who just cheapshot his teammate, not sure why your that has your dander up
To be fair, Reaves said Jumbo was blind. He said a guy with over 1000 assists had poor vision. It was a bad chirp and even Reaves friend's said it was stupid to say that about a legend.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Yet, in the end he did headshot Nosek and deserves punishment for it. Is there really anything other than semantics to discuss here?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad