Confirmed with Link: Joe Thornton announces retirement from NHL

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Thornton is more old school then he is this new generation, where those types of things just did not happen. And to be honest it is not that big of a thing in the NHL to sign a 1 day contract to retire with a different team.

Old school would be to have a press conference with Grier announcing his retirement, not doing it in a video.

Reactions: Sandisfan

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Never really understood the point of the whole "Retire as a <insert team name" thing. It just feels like a dumb gimmick. Does anyone really remember or think about that? He is always going to be associated with the Sharks. His number will go up next to 12 hopefully very soon. When you look up his career stats 10 years from now, his last game and numbers will be with another team regardless of whether he "retires as a Shark" or not. So, what does it really accomplish?
The only thing it would accomplish is allowing Sharks fans to buy custom sweaters with his name/number on them. The NHLPA contract allows official sales for a player's active team or the one he retired with. So you couldn't buy an official Thornton #19 from the Sharks team store now, but you could buy one from the Panthers. If he signed a 1-day contract, you'd be able to customize one like you can for Marleau or Nabokov.

I dunno if the players benefit directly from their own sweater sales, but that would be the only reason I can think of that it would matter.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Old school would be to have a press conference with Grier announcing his retirement, not doing it in a video.
Except that's not how any other player outside of i believe Gretzky, but Gretzky needed everything to be a spectacular event. Every other player pretty much announces like Thornton did.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The only thing it would accomplish is allowing Sharks fans to buy custom sweaters with his name/number on them. The NHLPA contract allows official sales for a player's active team or the one he retired with. So you couldn't buy an official Thornton #19 from the Sharks team store now, but you could buy one from the Panthers. If he signed a 1-day contract, you'd be able to customize one like you can for Marleau or Nabokov.

I dunno if the players benefit directly from their own sweater sales, but that would be the only reason I can think of that it would matter.
Nhl.com allows you to customize one for Thornton.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
Nhl.com allows you to customize one for Thornton.
Interesting. Then either they know more than I do or I know less than I thought.

Last I looked, though, I was trying to see if I could do an Owen Nolan 25th anniversary sweater and they wouldn't let me, so it could have changed at any point since then :laugh:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Interesting. Then either they know more than I do or I know less than I thought.

Last I looked, though, I was trying to see if I could do an Owen Nolan 25th anniversary sweater and they wouldn't let me, so it could have changed at any point since then :laugh:
With nhl.com you can customize the prime green authentic pro home jersey with any name that you want.

If you wanted to be a really bad jersey fan you could do a McDavid sharks jersey lol.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I think i've told this story here before, but here we go:

*Long personal post warning*

I grew in a NYC suburb where people support a mix between the NY sports and some Boston sports. We were a Giants/Yankees/Knicks house, and I guess Rangers neither parent really liked hockey enough to push a team, so I grew up just liking hockey.

In 1997 I went to an Avs-Rangers game at the Garden and sat behind the penalty box and was witness to Patrick Roy deking Gretzky and doing the spin-0-rama at the red line. I guess I thought that was super cool (I was 6), so for my next Bday my godfather got me a signed Roy jersey. From then on I loved the Avs and went to every game they played in NY. A few years later Kirk McLean moved into the neighborhood and I became friends with his stepson. My parents must have said I was a fan of Roy and Kirk got me a personalized game-used stick.

Then in 2003, Roy retired and I was without a team. BUT, starting in 2001 or so, I was old enough to have my own video games and I had NHL Hitz 2002, which is an amazing game to this day. You could create a team in that game and use credits earned from wins to improve player stats. What you could also do is reduce player stats, accrue credits, then trade for a NHL player. IDK why, but for some reason I bought Joe Thornton off the Bruins.

I scored like a million goals with Thornton in that game, and even more in NHL Hitz 2003. Like I would only shoot with him - I was obsessed. He was becoming my new favorite player even though i never watched a Bruins game, and incidentally I hated the Sharks because i thought Ricci was so ugly lol. I finally saw the bruins play in MTL when I was up for a CANAM tournament, and Jumbo was using the stick I wanted but couldnt afford (CCM Vector IIRC). That solidified it.

Anyway, fast forward to the lockout. I'm 14 and just starting to really establish preferences for things, so I made the claim to my hockey friends I was picking a new team. Sure enough, Jumbo got traded to the Sharks and I made the decision that day to start following a new team for the rest of my life.

18 years later, i'm still obsessed and Jumbo remains my favorite player of all-time. I only ever made it to maybe 10-15 Sharks games of his, but he is the reason I will be a fan for life. He is the reason I stayed up until well after midnight to watch every game while in middle/high school/college on the east coast; he is the reason I still watch every Sharks game in a small window on my desktop during work hours; he is the reason I'll always consider repatriating and settling in the Bay Area so I can watch more Sharks games.

Thanks for everything, Jumbo. From being my hero, to my hockey role model, to a guy who constantly reminds me that hockey and hockey fandom should be fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad