Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Brought this from the free agent frenzy thread, since it applies to what Sakic has done so far.

So, spend to spend? Just to get...who? Stastny priced himself out of the Avs' league. Maybe the Avs should have traded for ROR? Haha. Colorado is where they are. A bubble team with a promising future. Stay the course, don't get dumb trying to spend just because you have some coins in your pocket. (well, Ian Cole, maybe).

This really should have been obvious to those that listened to Sakic in his season ending presser. He basically outlined everything for everyone. Used those same words saying they were gonna stay the course, and might even get younger in the coming years.

When asked about Tavares he preached staying the course. Hence no expectation of Tavares. When asked about Bernier he refused to even say his name, or that they were talking. Hence Francouz and Grubauer. When asked about whether they'd go after Maine for an ECHL affiliate, he said they were already working on a deal with a team where they wanted to be. Hence them going with the closest team in Utah.

Even today for those that wanted to just add a bunch of salary because they have the cap space, and figure it out later, he said, "We wanted to make sure we didn’t do anything crazy. We know internally we got a lot of guys here in the next few years that we’re gonna have to pay, and we wanna make sure we don’t get stuck, or handcuffed with some longer term deals."

He's not trying to build a team with a 2-3 year window. He wants to build a team that he can keep together and remain competitive for 8-10 years.

Other things to look out for from that presser were him saying he expects Timmins to make a push for a spot out of camp, and that some of their guys didn't want to send him down last year. My guess is this would only happen with an injury, or Z/Nemeth not being ready to start the year.

The other thing he hinted at was Makar joining the team at the end of the season. Something I'm sure they want to get a look at before they make their final decision on Barrie next summer.

Reactions: arun and Clainer09

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think the pending extensions to Rants, Barrie, Z and maybe some others im not aware of are a bigger priority that I realized. I mean I still think they could have added some talent but idk maybe they wanted to make sure they had plenty of cash to work with. It does feel better knowing you have some of that talent locked up and then you can strategize from there

Add that with the strong desire to transition the younger guys and give the other younglings more PT and responsibility

Plus they ( barring any crazy trades ) have some nice pick currency should they want to create a nice package to acquire that top 6 fwd or even move up into the draft or the hockey gods smile on us and we get a lottery pick (or two)

And also maybe Skinner and Silf make it to FA next year (highly doubtful) but id rather after all our ducks are in row with contracts sign them than Neal or whoever was available this year

Byzantium

Jun 17, 2017
Brought this from the free agent frenzy thread, since it applies to what Sakic has done so far.

This really should have been obvious to those that listened to Sakic in his season ending presser. He basically outlined everything for everyone. Used those same words saying they were gonna stay the course, and might even get younger in the coming years.

When asked about Tavares he preached staying the course. Hence no expectation of Tavares. When asked about Bernier he refused to even say his name, or that they were talking. Hence Francouz and Grubauer. When asked about whether they'd go after Maine for an ECHL affiliate, he said they were already working on a deal with a team where they wanted to be. Hence them going with the closest team in Utah.

Even today for those that wanted to just add a bunch of salary because they have the cap space, and figure it out later, he said, "We wanted to make sure we didn’t do anything crazy. We know internally we got a lot of guys here in the next few years that we’re gonna have to pay, and we wanna make sure we don’t get stuck, or handcuffed with some longer term deals."

He's not trying to build a team with a 2-3 year window. He wants to build a team that he can keep together and remain competitive for 8-10 years.

Other things to look out for from that presser were him saying he expects Timmins to make a push for a spot out of camp, and that some of their guys didn't want to send him down last year. My guess is this would only happen with an injury, or Z/Nemeth not being ready to start the year.

The other thing he hinted at was Makar joining the team at the end of the season. Something I'm sure they want to get a look at before they make their final decision on Barrie next summer.
The fact that he was a late cut last year and that some guys wanted him on the team is a testament of this kids potential. And he was defender drafted in the 2nd round that year, pretty unreal.

Reactions: MacBradley

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs are better than last year and we still have a lot of internal growth to rely on the season after and beyond. Hell, if players like Meloche and Greer become NHLers we will have an abundance of resources we can turn into other assets.

If a Skinner shakes loose for an affordable price, go for it but this is clearly not the year Avs window open wide. Sakic has proven to be patient in both words and action, so I'm not worried.

Know who was mocked for being the most passive GM in the NHL? Chev all day off. But he knew growth would come from within and now they are pretty good.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not a big fan of the two latest moves but given the wacko market and how utterly stupid so many GMs are they could’ve done worse. A lot worse.

These are both overpayments for sure but I’m very relieved they aren’t buyout-proof nor do they carry any trade protection that’ll have to be honored in the event of another expansion draft. Also not crippling term either.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, I'm fine with Calvert. He's younger then Comeau and an upgrade to Comeau. That signing made sense and honestly at $2.8M it was pretty decent value as well compared to what other bottom 6 forwards got yesterday, a lot fo them got $3.xxM for 4 years.

Cole was undoubtedly an overpayment of at least 750k. I think he's worth about 3-3.5M certainly not 4.25M. He'll be our 4th Best Dman next year and I suspect we'll all be big fans of his. But still an overpayment. The good news is its only 3 years and considering we have almost no bad contracts on the team right now we should be able to manage just fine.

Reactions: MarkT

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont really know what statistics he's using to create the chart... That said to be in close company with Toronto, Tampa, and Winnipeg and pretty much be separated from the rest of the pack alongside those teams... That's some real good company to be a part of.

Reactions: Sea Eagles

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I dont really know what statistics he's using to create the chart... That said to be in close company with Toronto, Tampa, and Winnipeg and pretty much be separated from the rest of the pack alongside those teams... That's some real good company to be a part of.

Amazing, isn't it mate. Next season, I can actually also see massive progression / moves forward from players like:

X Jost
X Kerfoot
X Compher
X Girard
X Zadorov
X Andrighetto
X Nieto
X Kamenev

So I think we still have massive improvement / growth in us. Healthy, we are an exciting team now. If Sakic / Bednar can get that second line tweeked to perfection, we are a force again.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Sakic is responsible for the team being as bad as it was last year. But in hindsight, I think the Avs would be bad regardless.

Free agent signings that Sakic made - Jarome Iginla, Fedor Tyutin, Francois Beauchemin, Joe Colborne, Carl Soderberg - commanded a ton of salary, but produced literally zero.

However, the prospect pool has been completely dry in Sakic's first four seasons. The only prospects who graduated into being full time NHL players were Mikko Rantanen and Calvin Pickard; in other words, a can't miss prospect and a back-up goalie.

Going into this season, the Avs will be ripe with young players either drafted (Jost, Greer, Mironov, Lindholm) or acquired (Compher) during the Sakic regime.

The prospect pool is insanely healthy compared to last year. In addition to acquiring Bowers and Kamanev via trade, the Avalanche have five picks in the first three rounds next year. If Ottawa finishes where we think they're going to finish next year, their 2019 3rd round pick will basically end up being a 2nd rounder.

Free agency this year was a bit status quo, but I think we'll see Sakic swing a trade at some point early this season.

During the Sakic regime, Colorado has swung back to acquire players they were previously linked to. Examples include Rene Bourque, Sven Andrighetto, and recently Ian Cole. Just a hunch, but I wouldn't be shocked to see the Avalanche go after Jordan Eberle, who they were rumored to be interested in last off-season (prior to his acquisition by the New York Islanders).

Basically the team is in great shape. There is young, competitive, inexpensive product on the ice, and a strong prospect pool to back it up.

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
Is sakic doing a kindoff approach to what cheveldayoff did with Winnipeg a very patient approach to building a team and building through the draft as well because he’s looking like a genius right now with the drafting and the trades he’s made

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Is sakic doing a kindoff approach to what cheveldayoff did with Winnipeg a very patient approach to building a team and building through the draft as well because he’s looking like a genius right now with the drafting and the trades he’s made
I think WPG is a perfect example of how Sakic is trying to rebuild the team. Its funny because Chev would be panned for not making consolidating deals or big UFA signings and just stay the course. Now that the team was fully established you saw him dip in the UFA/TDL market (Kulikov/Stastny). I think we have to get though at least this draft and maybe 1 more and then see where we are at.

The Caps just won the cup with the team virtually built through the draft. OV at 32 got his first cup. I hope we don't have to wait that long but at the same time I want a deep prospect pool in place before were make those next level moves.

Reactions: MarkT

Auston mcdavid

Mar 10, 2018
Well we could have a top 3 pick this year if Ottawa sucks this year and with karlsson going they could be the worst with that pick we’d could easily contend even if it’s not number 1 this draft looks really deep and when Makar comes up and timmins and Bowers we could be a contender especially with the defence and a veteran like Ian cole on that defence is smart too the plan is there Sakic really reminds me off chev as a gm because sakic is building this team just like the Winnipeg Jets maybe a better younger version but that’s just my opinion so happy sakic is our gm his plan is genius and he could be a top 5 to top three gm very soon.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I think WPG is a perfect example of how Sakic is trying to rebuild the team. Its funny because Chev would be panned for not making consolidating deals or big UFA signings and just stay the course. Now that the team was fully established you saw him dip in the UFA/TDL market (Kulikov/Stastny). I think we have to get though at least this draft and maybe 1 more and then see where we are at.

The Caps just won the cup with the team virtually built through the draft. OV at 32 got his first cup. I hope we don't have to wait that long but at the same time I want a deep prospect pool in place before were make those next level moves.

This. Sign FAs when the team has reached a stage in its development, maturity if you will, necessary to go deeper in the POs. But only when you've got an established prospect pool and the pipeline of prospects developing internally and graduating to the NHL first. The foundation is in place.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Well we could have a top 3 pick this year if Ottawa sucks this year and with karlsson going they could be the worst with that pick we’d could easily contend even if it’s not number 1 this draft looks really deep and when Makar comes up and timmins and Bowers we could be a contender especially with the defence and a veteran like Ian cole on that defence is smart too the plan is there Sakic really reminds me off chev as a gm because sakic is building this team just like the Winnipeg Jets maybe a better younger version but that’s just my opinion so happy sakic is our gm his plan is genius and he could be a top 5 to top three gm very soon.

I dare anyone to read this out loud without taking a breath. I agree btw, but wow.

Reactions: CobraAcesS and arun

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002

;
-
:
/

Sakic has, in theory, positioned the team well in some respects. Development is key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad