Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I think we’ll probably miss the playoffs next year but not actually be a worse team. The central is just really crowded and the margin for error is tiny. The following year will be Makar’s rookie season. Jost, Girard, and Kerfoot will all have a couple years experience. That’s when we should really find out what this core is made of.

I'll reserve my final thoughts until after UFA but yeah, unless they bring in a Tavares or Stastny, this team will take a step back. A lot of things went right this year despite all the injuries.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'll reserve my final thoughts until after UFA but yeah, unless they bring in a Tavares or Stastny, this team will take a step back. A lot of things went right this year despite all the injuries.

A lot of things internally could improve, even without going after UFA's. Not losing their #1G and #1D right before the playoffs would be an improvement. So would Jost, Kamenev, Compher, Zadorov, and Girard taking another step in their development and contributing more. Prospects like Greer, Beaudin, or even Timmins may take a step as well and start to contribute for the Avs.

Some of their most important players like MacKinnon or Soda and his line may take a step back, but they may be able to negate those negative impacts, with positive impacts from others. Becoming less top heavy as a team, but getting more contributions throughout the lineup.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
A lot of things internally could improve, even without going after UFA's. Not losing their #1G and #1D right before the playoffs would be an improvement. So would Jost, Kamenev, Compher, Zadorov, and Girard taking another step in their development and contributing more. Prospects like Greer, Beaudin, or even Timmins may take a step as well and start to contribute for the Avs.

Some of their most important players like MacKinnon or Soda and his line may take a step back, but they may be able to negate those negative impacts, with positive impacts from others. Becoming less top heavy as a team, but getting more contributions throughout the lineup.
That's too many "mays" and "ifs" for my liking.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
That's too many "mays" and "ifs" for my liking.

I'm not saying they all need to happen. There's a decent chance some of them could, and that improvement in a few areas would offset some of the decline in other areas of the team like the top line.

If the team keeps growing as expected, I don't think we need to worry about a big step back in competitiveness. That's my main point.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
All due respect, a rebuilding team SHOULD rely on "mays" and "ifs." Isn't that part and parcel of development? Trying to get too many proven commodities on the roster has you ending up like the New York Rangers.
I just think the team is in serious danger of regressing. We had a lot of good luck this year, I would hate to see the core take a step back and start to doubt themselves while wasting a year of MacK's deal, that's pretty much the worst case scenario for next season. Wasting all the momentum and good feelings from our latest miracle year seems like a lost opportunity to me, I think it's worth it to start making some moves to shore up against our backslide and not just crossing our fingers and hoping.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
I just think the team is in serious danger of regressing. We had a lot of good luck this year, I would hate to see the core take a step back and start to doubt themselves while wasting a year of MacK's deal, that's pretty much the worst case scenario for next season. Wasting all the momentum and good feelings from our latest miracle year seems like a lost opportunity to me, I think it's worth it to start making some moves to shore up against our backslide and not just crossing our fingers and hoping.

I see the exact same danger, but I just don't think any of the UFAs available outside of maybe Tavares are going to make a huge difference. I think if there's regression next season we just have to take it as a part of the rebuilding process and try to remember that MacKinnon is only 22 regardless of his deal. I'm not saying we shouldn't make an attempt to sign some free agents, but I think it's a mistake the think that free agency is going to make the difference between playoffs and no playoffs next season. I also think it's a mistake to measure next season on playoffs or not - I want to see us take another step towards being a contending team next season. I know that would normally mean playoffs again, but it could be that most of the team develops and gets better and we still miss the playoffs because Varly plays poorly/gets injured or MacKinnon goes through a slump at the wrong time or we suffer other major injuries.

Basically, I'm not looking at next as being as important as the next 5 years as a whole. As long as we finish next season feeling like we've taken another step forward I'll be happy.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think it’s important Sakic keeps his current mentality up as far as patience goes. While it is an important offseason I would rather him make minor moves than major that leave us with a Lucic contract. If Sakic can manage to coax one of Carlson or Tavares over however, I don’t think there would be any hesistation from him.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
I think it’s important Sakic keeps his current mentality up as far as patience goes. While it is an important offseason I would rather him make minor moves than major that leave us with a Lucic contract. If Sakic can manage to coax one of Carlson or Tavares over however, I don’t think there would be any hesistation from him.

I think JVR is a very good candidate to be the next Lucic.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think JVR is a very good candidate to be the next Lucic.
That take is a little hot for my liking. Lucic is a big power forward who only had two 25 goal seasons in his career before signing in Edmonton. Four out of JVR's last five seasons have tallied 25+ goals, twice 30+, and the fifth season was 14 goals in 40 games. That's a consistency of scoring that Lucic has never matched in his career, and he plays much more of a power forward style than JVR which shortens his productive years.

I'm not putting JVR super high on my wish list or anything, but he's not going to be as useless as Lucic for whatever team he signs for.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I don't like this regression talk - we outperformed at times, sure, but there were also some key points dropped from losing a lead after going into the third with a 1 or 2 goal lead. Our young guys are (hopefully) going to improve, and most vets are depth players. Goaltending is the MASSSSIVE question mark, but I think our D will be the same (or better), as will our offensive corps.

Sakic will find a way to land Tavares :sarcasm: in Joe we trust

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't like this regression talk - we outperformed at times, sure, but there were also some key points dropped from losing a lead after going into the third with a 1 or 2 goal lead. Our young guys are (hopefully) going to improve, and most vets are depth players. Goaltending is the MASSSSIVE question mark, but I think our D will be the same (or better), as will our offensive corps.

Sakic will find a way to land Tavares :sarcasm: in Joe we trust

It's not so much what the Avs do or don't do, it's more the rest of the Central. Tell me which one of those teams you think is going to take a massive step back? And in the case of the Blackhawks, do you really think they'll remain in last place? It's possible but I wouldn't bet on it, especially if Corey Crawford is back in net. None of the teams will be pulling the plug, even if they should (hello Minny).

I'm avoiding the term "regression" because it suggests the Avs are set to take a big step back. I don't think they will, but it's entirely possible they miss by as small a margin as they made the playoffs this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I just think there are too many assumptions being made that none of our rookies will have sophomore slumps and that they'll just fill all the holes internally. We all know that never happens. That's why I think the team needs to make some aggressive moves to make sure there's insurance against regression from guys like Jost, Nieto, Compher, and Kerfoot, because mark my words, at least one of those players will not have the season we're hoping for, and that will likely be the difference between playoffs and not next year if we stand pat. Especially since the rest of the West is not looking like they'll be getting out of our way.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I just think there are too many assumptions being made that none of our rookies will have sophomore slumps and that they'll just fill all the holes internally. We all know that never happens. That's why I think the team needs to make some aggressive moves to make sure there's insurance against regression from guys like Jost, Nieto, Compher, and Kerfoot, because mark my words, at least one of those players will not have the season we're hoping for, and that will likely be the difference between playoffs and not next year if we stand pat. Especially since the rest of the West is not looking like they'll be getting out of our way.

Fair but I’m not necessarily in agreement with them taking an aggressive approach. They’ve done that before and it didn’t work. At all. I’d like them to take a look at all available options but if the price ends up being too steep, I’m fine with them staying the course and sticking with what they have.

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
Any chance Sakic goes after Mark Hunter for GM and moves upstairs? They were trying to get Dubas last seasin if I recall.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Any chance Sakic goes after Mark Hunter for GM and moves upstairs? They were trying to get Dubas last seasin if I recall.

Definitely a chance. It wasn't clear what position they were offering Dubas and Fenton last summer, or if they were guaranteed the GM position down the line. Joe might have been waiting to move up to President until after he handled the Duchene trade, but he might feel re-energized now with the season the team had.

Hunter would be a great hire though if Joe does want to move up. Wealth of experience and championship pedigree.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
No, I don't think so, no way in hell. If they wanted a guy like that they could just hire Patrick Roy back.

And no, he would not be a great hire.

Mark Hunter is one of the best scouts in the world. He knows what players you win with and has proven it over and over. That being said, he also has a personality that needs control, and I don't see him meshing in this organization. Plus Macfarland has done a really good job in his role. Maybe if Hunter was happy with taking a "director of hockey operations" role, but I think Hunter wants a GM job. He's a likely candidate for Seattle to target IMO.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I just read the whole list in the first post. My god, kudos to @Waingro geez

No worries, happy to do it. I like the idea of having a full record of moves, so you can get a birdseye view of each GM’s tenure. It's not really a pain if you just update things as they happen. Unfortunately HF purged a bunch of old threads a while back and lost the original Francois Giguere thread, but I was able to save the Sherman Record on Wayback, if you have any interest in checking that out. The link’s at the bottom of the first post.

Reactions: arun and Pokecheque

arun

Click here to hide this advertisement
Jun 23, 2016
Holland
@Waingro don’t be modest, you deserve credits for your efforts. Somebody make him an avatar badge or something :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->