Joe Sakic - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM - Part II (Updates in First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Owners that don't interfere and are willing to spend money really are the best but you need a strong GM.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Owners that don't interfere and are willing to spend money really are the best but you need a strong GM.

Like Kroenke?

And no that's not a sarcastic comment. I know Kroenke is hated so people are going to think this is another one of those posts but it isn't for me. They've opened their pockets and gave the front office full control of what to do with it. As you said I think it's a perfect situation unless like us, those people have no clue how to use the money.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Hearing Pegula's comments.. Sure wish we had ownership like that.

guy who regrets not being more involved in the coaching search in the bylsma hire, still employs russ brandon as team president for the bills and the sabres and reportedly has a say in the draft room for the bills.

granted, the last part might be a good thing if it's for mixon/jourdan lewis/dede westbrook-types.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
What necessary moves has he made to get this team on the right track?

I don't get this. Sakic said they have a plan and people around here are treating him like Mike Milbury after he traded Luongo & Jokinen for Kvasha & Parrish even before he has the chance to make a deal.

The 'plan' probably involves players that could be available due to expansion draft protections. Why do I think that? Because it's exactly what I would do. There are going to be a bunch of teams that are going to want to improve and the ability to protect 7 forwards 3 d-men and 1 G (11 players) rather than 8 skaters and 1G (9 players) has got to be appealing especially if you can acquire a top player.

People around here act like Joe Sakic knows less about hockey than 95% of the people who are on this very forum. :shakehead

As I mentioned several times for months prior to the TDL, Sakic tried to get a grand slam trade for either Duchene or Landeskog thinking a GM would crack and give him an enormous price. It didn't happen. The Avs had a horrible ending to their season and those players went through a huge slump...he couldn't have foreseen this but they are STILL good players. Other GMs know this. Hell, even fans of other teams on the trade board know this, with their constant low-ball offers for our top guys.

Duchene, Barrie, Landeskog and even Soderberg will have the chance to prove that they were on a flawed team with a poor coach rather than the fact that THEY were responsible for that mess starting next week. Any team even remotely interested in any of these guys will be there watching, for sure.

So if the expansion draft and the entry draft happen and then free agency and we are still left with the same roster OR Sakic has made a bunch of Milbury-esque moves, then fine...break-out the pitchforks but to do it prior to any serious moves made is just immature venting due to a horrible season, imo.

Picked up Barbario on waivers. :nod:

The win at all costs stigma that is associated with Roy, is incorrect though. Roy wanted aggressive, Sakic didn't. Aggressive does not equal win at all costs.

It's not necessarily 'win at all costs' so I may have phrased that poorly but it's more not really knowing where your team is at, so the decisions to keep adding vets near (or past) the end of the road is ill-advised.

I'm French-Canadian and even I think there was a French-Canadian bias with the players Roy was bringing in : Cliche, Briere, Talbot, Gelinas, Beauchemin. All of these guys were just terrible.

I actually liked Roy as a coach and motivator (he just needed a really good X & Os guy as an assistant) but as far as player evaluations, I don't think he was very good. Cliche, Guenin, Holden and many others played way longer for the Avs than they should have.

Last edited:

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Like Kroenke?

And no that's not a sarcastic comment. I know Kroenke is hated so people are going to think this is another one of those posts but it isn't for me. They've opened their pockets and gave the front office full control of what to do with it. As you said I think it's a perfect situation unless like us, those people have no clue how to use the money.

I very much doubt that they've opened their pockets in terms of hiring staff like coaches (or actual people in the front office) and I doubt they've opened their pockets in terms of the scouting or development budget in comparison to better teams.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, there's something definitely wrong when we keep seeing all these Kroenke-owned franchises failing as badly as they are. The Avs were only slightly more embarrassing than the Los Angeles Rams this season. They seem willing to pony up the $$$$ and aren't meddlesome in the slightest but at the same time, there seem to be a lot of instances that when things run aground, they don't seem all that alarmed, or even interested in doing whatever it takes to fix it.

I'm very, very concerned at this point. We're how many years into the Joe Sakic Era and I haven't the slightest clue of his vision. And I'll say I'm not even sure he has one. More and more he strikes me as another Joe Nieuwendyk--a guy who continually just added pieces here and there in hopes that it would come together, but never had any real, cohesive direction. And Jim Nill is still picking up the pieces from his predecessor's failed regime.

And yes, I get that this is only Year Two coming up of Joe Sakic without Patty Roy coming in to mess things up, but frankly you can't blame Roy for everything here. I'm not even sure you can blame him for most of it.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Avs44, so I've been trying to get the media to ask Silent Joe to address the fans. Guess what the common themed reply is from the media guys:

Ryan

AJ Haefele @AJHaefele now

Replying to @Wreakingbox
We've been trying. Unfortunately they don't seem interested

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
After listening to Joe talk the other night before the draft lottery, I'm more concerned about things than ever before. The guy is so clearly in over his head, and he doesn't seem to have a clue about what to do about it. He seems content on letting things come to him, which is exactly how the NHL does not go.

He literally had a 10-minute interview with sportsnet, where the most interesting thing he said was that he thought they needed to improve the back end. Way to go out on a limb there Joe.

I mean, look at Stan Bowman with the Blackhawks. They made the playoffs and got put out in the first round, and he came out and said that changes are coming within the organization. This is a team that has won 3 Stanley cups in recent years, and he's still not content!! Joe just had the worst season in recent memory, and what was his address to the fans? Silence.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
This extreme lack of interest in addressing the fans, and at least bull******* their way through giving them some reason for optimism that things will get better, and that they have a plan, is becoming pretty annoying.

After the worst season in the NHL in 18 years, for Joe and Martineau to act they like don't give two ***** is kinda pathetic.

If you don't expel any extra energy in talking to the fans you hold yourself accountable to and pay your salaries, I'm not expecting you to expel much energy in fixing the problems you've let root themselves into this team. That's why Joe always has the mindset of just letting the solutions fall in his lap, rather than seeking them out. That's how the ROR trade went down, Murray did all the work on getting that one done.

The passivity coming from this organization, when you need some assertive moves to fix things, is own right scary. I just hope this thing turns out well, and the solutions do fall in his lap.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Honestly it's just Kroenke going on about how this season was a disappointment but there is a vision. Typical speak from a higher up management type. Typical excuses and everything we've heard for a little under a decade.

Sakic managed to finish ahead of eight other GM's purely because of the drafting and the signing of draft picks.

GM Score (out of 5): 2.7
Best Attribute: Drafting
Worst Attribute: Player Development
Change in total GAR: -37%
Max GAR Ranking: 10

After a magical first-year, 114-point season with Sakic at the helm, driven by unsustainable goaltending and success in close games, it’s been all downhill for the franchise legend. The team has struggled to embrace modern analytics, Coach Patrick Roy showed himself out, and his cadre of exciting young forwards (Landeskog, Duchene, and McKinnon) have noticeably stalled during his tenure. Not to mention, they had to turn over nearly the entire AHL roster in the 2016 offseason, along with replacing that coach, amid complaints about lack of development. For the Avalanche to truly get back into contention, they’ll need to focus on rebuilding their prospect pipeline and development system, along with ridding their blue line of aging, slow veterans.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
https://soundcloud.com/1043thefan/joe-sakic-the-drive-51017

The interview is in there. The tweet is misleading, it's not about the coaching staff. It was asked if he was going to take a President's role and add to his staff.

They were trying to find a nice way of asking him if hes considered stepping up and hiring another GM. It was worded tactfully, but obvious what he was asking because he basically asked it with a lead up of alluding to Sakic having complete control of the situation, and it not being something that was forced.

Sakic also kind of side stepped the question with that answer after stumbling a bit. I fully believe what TMV said about Sakic leaving to be true, so I think there was some point where Sakic had seriously considered it.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
They were trying to find a nice way of asking him if hes considered stepping up and hiring another GM. It was worded tactfully, but obvious what he was asking because he basically asked it with a lead up of alluding to Sakic having complete control of the situation, and it not being something that was forced.

Sakic also kind of side stepped the question with that answer after stumbling a bit. I fully believe what TMV said about Sakic leaving to be true, so I think there was some point where Sakic had seriously considered it.

I really want Sakic to stay and fix his mess now. Quitting just makes it far too easy for him now. Time to rebuild both the club, and people's perception of his as a GM.

As a player, despite what he has done as a GM, he'll always be my favorite ever player.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I really want Sakic to stay and fix his mess now. Quitting just makes it far too easy for him now. Time to rebuild both the club, and people's perception of his as a GM.

As a player, despite what he has done as a GM, he'll always be my favorite ever player.

The only hope for the Avs right now is if Sakic is active/strong in his conviction to change how people view him as a NHL GM because he's not going to fire himself. So far though he's failing the test. Maintaining the status quo in the FO is a bad move all around.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I never thought I would remember the days of the Greg from Marketing so fondly.

Seriously...did Joe get his balls caught in that snow-blower as well?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
At what point do we take a page out of the Panther fan's book and organize a banner flying around Kronke's house that says fire sakic.

hughdreamz

Jun 24, 2006
Michigan
I like our draft for the most part, but failing to trade Duchene is a HUGE failure on Sakic. It's bordering on unacceptable.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I 100% think this is the case. Every GM will win and lose trades, but you can't just be afraid in this job.

This was a huge issue with Cheveldayoff in Winnipeg for his first few years as well.

The difference is Winnipeg had excellent drafting when Chevy was afraid to make moves so they were able to get by relatively decent.

As are a different story at least so far. Either way Joe has to man up and do something soon.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Snow is also afraid to make deals, unless he feels he wins them. After getting burned with the Vanek deal, he doesn't seem to enjoy taking risks.

Poile is probably a better trade partner for Sakic.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
i miss Patrick Roy. wasn't afraid to put his balls on the table and was easily a better coach than Bednar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad