Blue Jays Discussion: Joe Panik traded for the reliever we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Vo2jpzAJgLo_iUBuBpSvSj_ErhY=.gif

I'll also put up a new thread later tonight. When it's late on the west coast and most of you have gone to bed so it doesn't cut into any ongoing conversation.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Vo2jpzAJgLo_iUBuBpSvSj_ErhY=.gif

I'll also put up a new thread later tonight. When it's late on the west coast and most of you have gone to bed so it doesn't cut into any ongoing conversation.

See, if you just hit *all* of the home runs, then the other team just forfeits out of fear or build a lead so large not even signing Sam Gaviglio could blow it.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I've seen some confusion regarding the Blue Jays being viewed as a possible fit for Cruz so I just wanted to add a few things to that.

1) In 2017, J.D. Martinez was traded from Detroit to Arizona for Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara, and Jose King. For those who are not familiar with those names, I can translate what Arizona traded for him - essentially nothing. I would not be worried about the cost for Cruz, who is both significantly older than Martinez was at the time and hasn't put a fielding glove on in 3 years, which should remove NL teams from his market. I can't see Cruz costing more than a prospect or two in the 20-30 range and maybe a lottery ticket who we probably don't even know exists right now.

2) If that is indeed the price for Cruz, it is hard not to acquire him and figure out the roster later. Sure, Grichuk had a hot start but he has significantly cooled off since then. If you can add a 150+ wRC+ bat to your lineup for pennies on the dollar in a playoff race, you do that every day regardless of whether or not Grichuk is in the way. I also don't think there is a scenario in which a potential Cruz trade takes them out of the running for pitching help.

3) Take anything Jon Heyman says with a grain of salt. He has perfected the art of the 'mystery team' and throwing his own theoretical ideas out there as legitimate rumours.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
I would have zero problem moving Pearson in a trade for Jose Ramirez. With the development of Manoah, and SWR looking very promising. Pearson seems to be constantly hurt and if there's a time to move him, it's now before teams don't go near him with injury concerns.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
If only Crus was a lefty masher. Would give the lineup so much balance. What about Rizzo if he's available? Pending free agent not having a great year so it might not cost as much.

Kimbrell and Rizzo would be great adds. As much as we need a starter, a lights out bullpen guy would really have won us a lot of games this year.

Love it, gives them another lefty out of the pen as well :sarcasm::sarcasm:

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
This series with the Rays is huge. Every series is important but this seems extra important. Our #2, #3 and #4 starters are up. We have Romano rested and Borucki maybe on the way with Cimber and Richards added. Lineup is also healthy so this is essentially who we are right now as a team which is my point. Last series before the break too.

Reactions: phillipmike

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
This series with the Rays is huge. Every series is important but this seems extra important. Our #2, #3 and #4 starters are up. We have Romano rested and Borucki maybe on the way with Cimber and Richards added. Lineup is also healthy so this is essentially who we are right now as a team which is my point. Last series before the break too.
Romano,I cringe watching him pitch.:eek:

Reactions: FreeBird

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
1) In 2017, J.D. Martinez was traded from Detroit to Arizona for Dawel Lugo, Sergio Alcantara, and Jose King. For those who are not familiar with those names, I can translate what Arizona traded for him - essentially nothing. I would not be worried about the cost for Cruz, who is both significantly older than Martinez was at the time and hasn't put a fielding glove on in 3 years, which should remove NL teams from his market. I can't see Cruz costing more than a prospect or two in the 20-30 range and maybe a lottery ticket who we probably don't even know exists right now.
Al Avila's asset management during the Tigers rebuild has been awful and I doubt we'll get away with a similar highway robbery that the Diamondbacks did. That being said, I do think the price will be fairly reasonable compared to other big names at the TDL but zero prospects inside the top 20 would be a god send.

I wonder if we agree to take on Colome's money, if there's something there. Seeing as he's still owed some cash this year and has a buyout next year because I have to assume the Twins aren't picking up his 5.6 million dollar option. Use him as a reclamation project or just have him report to Trenton as soon as he gets here.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Kiley McDaniel mock draft 3.0 - with some rumored players after the 1st round as well.

2021 MLB Mock Draft 3.0: Kiley McDaniel predicts the first two rounds

i

19. Toronto Blue Jays

Jay Allen, CF, John Carroll Catholic HS (FL), Florida commit
The Jays are tied most to Allen, Trey Sweeney, Ryan Cusick and Jud Fabian at this pick, with Tyler Black also mentioned and Thatcher Hurd and Hunter Parks among their targets with a later pick as well.

Thatcher Hurd is a HS RHP (#68 overall on Kiley's big board), Hunter Parks is a JUCO RHP.

Also of interest: Tyler Black who he has as "also mentioned" for #19 is a 20 year old Canadian 2B who he ranked as #16 in the class:

16. Tyler Black, 2B, Wright State

My pick to click is a late-blooming, mid-major, Canadian second baseman with a spotless track record and power potential. Get on the bandwagon while you still can.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Keith Law also posted a new mock draft today and he also has us taking OF Jay Allen at #19.

19. Toronto Blue Jays: Jay Allen, OF, John Carroll Catholic (FL) High

The Blue Jays have been linked to Allen for a while now, having scouted him heavily during the state all-star tournament at the end of the spring. I’d heard them earlier on Florida senior Tommy Mace, but Mace wasn’t good later in the spring, and the Blue Jays don’t have a second-round pick (for signing George Springer) so going under slot here makes little sense; it’s far more likely they’d just go slot on someone like Tyler Black or Connor Norby than try to save some cash.

That means that Kiley, Keith Law, and Fangraphs (Goldstein/Longenhagen) have all mocked Jay Allen to the Jays in recent days.

Reactions: phillipmike

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Anyone heard where these legacy's are suppose to go in the draft

Max mcguire - father mark

Jarred pettite - father andy

Edinson renteria - father edgar

Guessing they are all later rounds as i havent seen them mentioned in any of the top 100s

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I've seen some confusion regarding the Blue Jays being viewed as a possible fit for Cruz so I just wanted to add a few things to that.

2) If that is indeed the price for Cruz, it is hard not to acquire him and figure out the roster later. Sure, Grichuk had a hot start but he has significantly cooled off since then. If you can add a 150+ wRC+ bat to your lineup for pennies on the dollar in a playoff race, you do that every day regardless of whether or not Grichuk is in the way. I also don't think there is a scenario in which a potential Cruz trade takes them out of the running for pitching help.

3) Take anything Jon Heyman says with a grain of salt. He has perfected the art of the 'mystery team' and throwing his own theoretical ideas out there as legitimate rumours.

The issue I have with Nelly Cruz is this: we already loaded with right handed bats. Does he really put us over the top or move the needle in any significant way?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The issue I have with Nelly Cruz is this: we already loaded with right handed bats. Does he really put us over the top or move the needle in any significant way?

I would say that absolutely he moves the needle relative to having Grichuk in the lineup with everyone healthy. I don't really care about the RH/LH stuff that much unless guys have ridiculously terrible splits, and Cruz doesn't.

The issue I'd have is that if we picked up Cruz and moved Grichuk along and then Springer gets hurt for an extended period ... we'd be forced to play Davis in CF, and that would be a major step back. The thing about the current arrangement with the 4 quality OFs and rotating DH is that it's 'safe' and can absorb an injury pretty well. A pure DH reduces roster flexibility considerably.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Anyone heard where these legacy's are suppose to go in the draft

Max mcguire - father mark

Jarred pettite - father andy

Edinson renteria - father edgar

Guessing they are all later rounds as i havent seen them mentioned in any of the top 100s

You have to think even if he's essentially a non prospect the Yanks will draft Andy's kid. No issue burning late picks on bloodline kids. Clemens kid is the only one that was a bust for us so far that I can think of

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
You have to think even if he's essentially a non prospect the Yanks will draft Andy's kid. No issue burning late picks on bloodline kids. Clemens kid is the only one that was a bust for us so far that I can think of

thats how i see it. id prefer to go after edgar and andy's kid but you cant deny what marks kid might end up doing either lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad