Cut/Released: JJ Watt

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
JJ no dead cap hit either. Not a massive dead cap if Houston moves Watson, like $5.6 mill unlike Goff or Wentz or Wilson if those teams moved them.
Which explains why it was easier for the Texans to give into the player's demand, but the motivation for the players is still the same. They both want out.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Lions have always been an incompetent franchise for as long as I can remember. Even had the magical 0-16 season.

Yet they still have never reached the disaster level that the Texans have.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
They have a sycophant making decisions more than an adult. The firm the Texans hired for the GM search didn’t recommend him (Cal McNair would’ve had to eschew his racism otherwise). Now they hired McDaniels brother who was *fired* from *Michigan* by *Jim Harbaugh*

The only thing the Texans are interested in is being a landing spot for the old boys and their equally unqualified buddies, somehow their character leading them all to the same spot.
Sounds so much how McDaniels got control in Denver.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
But when Watson signed his deal, he was told Easterby wouldn't be in a leadership role. The team lied to Watson. Since the contract was signed, they've entirely cleaned house and given control to Easterby.
Deshsaun has every right to request a trade. At the same time the Texans has every right not to trade him. That is how I see it.

They have a sycophant making decisions more than an adult. The firm the Texans hired for the GM search didn’t recommend him (Cal McNair would’ve had to eschew his racism otherwise). Now they hired McDaniels brother who was *fired* from *Michigan* by *Jim Harbaugh*

The only thing the Texans are interested in is being a landing spot for the old boys and their equally unqualified buddies, somehow their character leading them all to the same spot.

I meant in terms of personnel decisions with Caserio. If Easterby is still making those, then they are helpess. Until Cal McNair has that epiphenal moment to get rid of him, there football will most likely mirror 2020.

Reactions: Voight

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He is shell of his former self

I think best thing for him would be to latch onto a contender as a rotation LB
A shell????? I guess if you consider him one of the best ever to now just being really good. In 2020 he was graded as the 7th best edge defender in the NFL. Hell of a "rotation " player.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sounds so much how McDaniels got control in Denver.
I think it’s exactly what happened in Denver, the difference being that the Broncos had people high enough who weren’t true believers. This one with the Texans is starting with the owner.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Deshsaun has every right to request a trade. At the same time the Texans has every right not to trade him. That is how I see it.

I meant in terms of personnel decisions with Caserio. If Easterby is still making those, then they are helpess. Until Cal McNair has that epiphenal moment to get rid of him, there football will most likely mirror 2020.

Right now Caserio is a guy who is part of it until he proves he isn’t. Which is probably when he leaves. The Texans have been parachuting Patriots subordinates (who they wanted to get rid of) ever since Kubiak left.

It’s true they have a right to not trade him but unless they fix it, they don’t gain anything. You can’t go into camp with a QB who wants out, because that affects everyone else.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I think it’s exactly what happened in Denver, the difference being that the Broncos had people high enough who weren’t true believers. This one with the Texans is starting with the owner.
Sort of.

Pat Bowlen was starting to suffer from Alzheimers and Joe Ellis stepped into the void left be Mike Shanahan's firing and made the call on hiring McDaniels as coach, going over the head of the GM who was supposed to be in control Jim Goodman. Feeling was Shanahan had too much responsibility/power and the announcement was that they'd be separate posts. Anyway, Goodman and McDaniels can't work together and Ellis sides with his guy and fires Goodman and his two sons right before the combine. From then on McDaniels had no checks on him.

Fast forward to the London game and Steve Scanrnecia tapes the walkthrough. Someone blows the whistle and players, advisors and a shitload of no shows at a home game eventually convince Bowlen to step in.

Guess who's little brother is on the Texans' coaching staff?:naughty: And guess who were college teammates before joining the Pats staff?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Sort of.

Pat Bowlen was starting to suffer from Alzheimers and Joe Ellis stepped into the void left be Mike Shanahan's firing and made the call on hiring McDaniels as coach, going over the head of the GM who was supposed to be in control Jim Goodman. Feeling was Shanahan had too much responsibility/power and the announcement was that they'd be separate posts. Anyway, Goodman and McDaniels can't work together and Ellis sides with his guy and fires Goodman and his two sons right before the combine. From then on McDaniels had no checks on him.

Fast forward to the London game and Steve Scanrnecia tapes the walkthrough. Someone blows the whistle and players, advisors and a shitload of no shows at a home game eventually convince Bowlen to step in.

Guess who's little brother is on the Texans' coaching staff?:naughty: And guess who were college teammates before joining the Pats staff?
Josh McDaniels was the first guy named in rumors for this head job. Rinse, repeat though.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
He probably ends up in Tompa Bay after getting a phone call from Brady.

Brady is the de facto GM in Tompa Bay and has a lot of influence with players. Everyone wants to play with the GOAT.

If Brady wants Watt, he will get Watt.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He probably ends up in Tompa Bay after getting a phone call from Brady.

Brady is the de facto GM in Tompa Bay and has a lot of influence with players. Everyone wants to play with the GOAT.

If Brady wants Watt, he will get Watt.
Watt likes Brady:
“Just absurd what Tom Brady has accomplished in his career,” Watt wrote on Twitter. “Undisputed greatest of all time. Not even remotely debatable. Unreal.”

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Watt based on performance and ability should command a salary between $8 mill to $11 mill give or take. Be interesting to see how low he does go. This isn’t a rotational guy playing 25% of the snaps. She should still see the field 75% or more of the time

Reactions: DueDiligence

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I hope all of the people who have been very angry at Watson for asking out are equally mad at JJ Watt for asking to be released. I mean, he had a contract, right?

Watt has spent a decade with the team and been through all the ups downs already and is nearing the end of his career. He doesn't have the time left to go thru another rebuild and hopefully win a Lombardi. Its vastly different from Watsons scenario.

I hope the Packers sign Watt. Or he at least goes to KC/TB.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Before his injuries JJ Watt was the best and most disruptive defensive lineman I have ever seen. Maybe the best defensive player I’ve seen period.

I’m to young to have seen Reggie White or Bruce Smith.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Watt has spent a decade with the team and been through all the ups downs already and is nearing the end of his career. He doesn't have the time left to go thru another rebuild and hopefully win a Lombardi. Its vastly different from Watsons scenario.

He can go wherever he wants. Just hope he signs for around what his true on field value is. This isn’t a player who should be signing for $1 mill. Worth closer to $10 mill than $1 mill based on his play. Brady for $25 mill when the top end QBs get like $35 so he’s around 70%. So if JJ is worth $11 mill then don’t want to see him sign less than say $7 mill to chase a ring.

ware is the closest comparison to JJ situation in recent years. He left Dallas at 32 for a 3 year $30 mill deal a few years ago.

so expect that kind of deal vs a $1 mill one year deal.

see which teams can make that happen under a tighter cap situation.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
He can go wherever he wants. Just hope he signs for around what his true on field value is. This isn’t a player who should be signing for $1 mill. Worth closer to $10 mill than $1 mill based on his play. Brady for $25 mill when the top end QBs get like $35 so he’s around 70%. So if JJ is worth $11 mill then don’t want to see him sign less than say $7 mill to chase a ring.

ware is the closest comparison to JJ situation in recent years. He left Dallas at 32 for a 3 year $30 mill deal a few years ago.

so expect that kind of deal vs a $1 mill one year deal.

see which teams can make that happen under a tighter cap situation.
He's made his $100 million so I think he will be ring chasing. That means only considering a few teams; Pitts, GB, TB most likely. He would have to take $2 million or so to play with his brothers in Pitt as they are tight to the cap. GB has no cap room but Tampa could give him $8 million easily and let Suh walk.
How long before he gets a call from TB12 telling him how nice the weather is in Tampa?

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008

Plus he just wants out / trade /whatever , that's fine. He isnt controling a trade to a team of his choosing due to a NTC.
He will go to Tampa, uggg.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad