Cut/Released: JJ Watt

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Texans hire Nick Caserio from the Patriots.

Nick Caserio pisses off DeShaun Watson.

Nick Caserio cuts JJ Watt.

Nick Caserio trades Watson to the Pats

JJ Watt signs with the Pats.

Belichik has team back in contention.

giphy.gif

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Makes me wish the Steelers had the defensive scheme, personnel, and cap to bring him in...may be too many large problems to make that work just so the Watt brothers can all be teammates.

Gonna be weird seeing him in a different jersey.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Texans hire Nick Caserio from the Patriots.

Nick Caserio pisses off DeShaun Watson.

Nick Caserio cuts JJ Watt.

Nick Caserio trades Watson to the Pats

JJ Watt signs with the Pats.

Belichik has team back in contention.

giphy.gif
Nick Caserio is more likely to trade Watson to the Jets for number 2 to spite Belichick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
So why cut him and not trade him?
His base salary is $17 mill. No more guaranteed money. He’d have to redo his contract anyways. This allows him to actually speak to teams first.

how many guys his age have been traded who are/were not OL. That’s t he only group that ages slow.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I hope all of the people who have been very angry at Watson for asking out are equally mad at JJ Watt for asking to be released. I mean, he had a contract, right?
Whenever that comes up with Bronco fans I have to remind them of a few things that make us indelible to hold that opinion:

R487151a6cc818031b52f02465a0c8bfc

hqdefault.jpg

and it's worked out for us the other way:

Radd97c5e5f22486ac3f59b7ccda51850

OGC.4f5a4520852829aed665cffd46bb7300

Anyway I figure a player can ask out once in their career before you have to worry too much.

Reactions: DaveG and VikingAv

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Anyway I figure a player can ask out once in their career before you have to worry too much.
And when we're talking about the direction the Texans are heading with owner turning over total control of the team to some preacher who is not a football person, there's a good reason for any player who cares about winning to want out.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
And when we're talking about the direction the Texans are heading with owner turning over total control of the team to some preacher who is not a football person, there's a good reason for any player who cares about winning to want out.
Yep.

Preferable to even a money dispute as motivation.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I hope all of the people who have been very angry at Watson for asking out are equally mad at JJ Watt for asking to be released. I mean, he had a contract, right?
It is a bit different for me. I have an issue with Deshaun because he signed his contract in September, JJ signed his in September of 2014. Had JJ just signed a new deal and asked for a trade, I would be critical of that too.

These issues with the organization have been there over the past few years, a few former players have even commented on that. He didn't have to sign an extension. Even if he got hurt he still would have gotten paid by another team.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It is a bit different for me. I have an issue with Deshaun because he signed his contract in September, JJ signed his in September of 2014. Had JJ just signed a new deal and asked for a trade, I would be critical of that too.

These issues with the organization have been there over the past few years, a few former players have even commented on that. He didn't have to sign an extension. Even if he got hurt he still would have gotten paid by another team.
I'd say the conditions for both Watt and Watson changed dramatically after Watson singed his deal.

Yes, it was only a few months ago when Watson signed his deal, but since then, everyone between the players and owner has been turned over. They fired the coach and GM. They then went about a GM search where the end result was to ignore the recommendations of the search committee and instead go with the buddy of the Rasputin figure the owner has put in charge of the team. The team president recently quit because he didn't get along with Rasputin. It's out of control chaos.

Reactions: DaveG

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
I'd say the conditions for both Watt and Watson changed dramatically after Watson singed his deal.

Yes, it was only a few months ago when Watson signed his deal, but since then, everyone between the players and owner has been turned over. They fired the coach and GM. They then went about a GM search where the end result was to ignore the recommendations of the search committee and instead go with the buddy of the Rasputin figure the owner has put in charge of the team. The team president recently quit because he didn't get along with Rasputin. It's out of control chaos.
I'm normally on the players side, I'm not completely against Deshaun here but he didn't have to sign that contract. There were rumblings here in Houston over a year ago about Easterby being shady. Sure things did change within the organization, probably the most after O'Brien was sacked in October. But again, Deshaun didn't have to sign it.

The have have no intention on trading him and they shouldn't right now and I think most knew they would hire Caserio as they tried to in June of 2019 but the Patriots were going to file tampering charges.

The Texans seem to have an adult at the table now with Caserio making personnel decisions. If things don't start to change in that regard this season, I'll change my stance to completely for Deshaun. I can understand those who think he should be traded.

In terms of Watt, he isn't done by any level. He was still doubled teamed often, the Titans did so on many of their plays week 17. He still has talent left.

Reactions: Voight

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm normally on the players side, I'm not completely against Deshaun here but he didn't have to sign that contract. There were rumblings here in Houston over a year ago about Easterby being shady. Sure things did change within the organization, probably the most after O'Brien was sacked in October. But again, Deshaun didn't have to sign it.

The have have no intention on trading him and they shouldn't right now and I think most knew they would hire Caserio as they tried to in June of 2019 but the Patriots were going to file tampering charges.

The Texans seem to have an adult at the table now with Caserio making personnel decisions. If things don't start to change in that regard this season, I'll change my stance to completely for Deshaun. I can understand those who think he should be traded.

In terms of Watt, he isn't done by any level. He was still doubled teamed often, the Titans did so on many of their plays week 17. He still has talent left.
But when Watson signed his deal, he was told Easterby wouldn't be in a leadership role. The team lied to Watson. Since the contract was signed, they've entirely cleaned house and given control to Easterby.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

JJ no dead cap hit either. Not a massive dead cap if Houston moves Watson, like $5.6 mill unlike Goff or Wentz or Wilson if those teams moved them.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They have a sycophant making decisions more than an adult. The firm the Texans hired for the GM search didn’t recommend him (Cal McNair would’ve had to eschew his racism otherwise). Now they hired McDaniels brother who was *fired* from *Michigan* by *Jim Harbaugh*

The only thing the Texans are interested in is being a landing spot for the old boys and their equally unqualified buddies, somehow their character leading them all to the same spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad