Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
He needs to play with Nash or not at all. he's such a different player playing with Nash

This. So much this.

Vesey elevates his game when he has been with Nash this season. He absolutely is a different player. He oozes much more confidence. Not sure why AV even broke up the combo to begin with.

It was, however, nice to see Vesey in that one shift in the 1st (not sure if anyone else remembers) on the 4th line buzzing around the offensive zone throwing some big hits. To me it was him showing hw wanted to be bumped back up.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Nice goal and a good game last night. Let's see if he keeps it up.

Not really in love with AV giving PB a period playing in the top-6 before bumping him back to the fourth line, but what can ya do.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Nice goal and a good game last night. Let's see if he keeps it up.

Not really in love with AV giving PB a period playing in the top-6 before bumping him back to the fourth line, but what can ya do.
Well that was definitely because of the delay of game penalty, which I didnt agree with penalizing him for since the whole unit of 5 was terrible on that shift, but he was demoted after that

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Well that was definitely because of the delay of game penalty, which I didnt agree with penalizing him for since the whole unit of 5 was terrible on that shift, but he was demoted after that

I had thought the same, but that wasn't the case. PB finished the period with Nash, and then opened the second period on the fourth line. Realistically, I think AV just didn't see whatever it is he thought he wanted to see from PB, and demoted him after 20 minutes.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Kid has played his best hockey in the playoffs since November. He's going to be a big game player for the team. A rare trait to have.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
Stepan is hugely overrated by Ranger fans as a player. Except for the fact he's scored some clutch goals in the past and been a good defensive forward. But as an offensive player he is meh because he cannot skate and over passes sometimes. I think he slows down Kreider and any speedy winger hey put on him. Vesey is one of them. What I see from Vesey is a player who can disrupt a lot. His skill has not caught up with his husltle and he loses the puck over it but when it does he'll be a consistent 25 goal scorer.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
So Vesey......

He's really not good and the last 60 games of the season were horrendously uninspired even by the "college rookie wall" standards.

Truth be told, he's the first F I scratch if we end up with a good surplus.

What say you?

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
So Vesey......

He's really not good and the last 60 games of the season were horrendously uninspired even by the "college rookie wall" standards.

What say you?

He's been the kind of player that has brief moments of brilliance but haven't be sustained at all over long stretches. I think this year should be a good measuring stick of what kind of player and peak he will have moving forward.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He's been the kind of player that has brief moments of brilliance but haven't be sustained at all over long stretches. I think this year should be a good measuring stick of what kind of player and peak he will have moving forward.

He's also the kind of player who's relatively safe by the eye test and will literally never get punished for being garbage defensively (which he is), and that's the kind of player AV adores.

I really don't want to be stuck with a player like that, but like you said, this year should be telling.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So Vesey......

What say you?

I think he's more bad than good. I think he should've spent quite a bit of time in the AHL last year. I think it's likely that it's probably more of the same this year. I think a lot of the hate that Pirri got last season was actually due to having to play with Vesey.

Pirri was borderline good away from Vesey last year, and Vesey was still horrendous away from Pirri. One of those players spent a lot of time with Lindberg and Fast, the other player spent a lot of time with Nash and Stepan.

Everybody also seemed pretty thrilled with Vesey's play in the post-season, but I can't say I agree with that take.

This year will pretty much tell us what kind of NHL player Vesey will be.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I think he's more bad than good. I think he should've spent quite a bit of time in the AHL last year. I think it's likely that it's probably more of the same this year. I think a lot of the hate that Pirri got last season was actually due to having to play with Vesey.

Pirri was borderline good away from Vesey last year, and Vesey was still horrendous away from Pirri. One of those players spent a lot of time with Lindberg and Fast, the other player spent a lot of time with Nash and Stepan.

I was still pretty "meh" on Pirri for the most part. He needed to find ways to shoot the puck more even when he wasn't with Vesey.

As for Vesey to be honest I thought the game was moving a bit too fast for him all year long and you could see it in how many passes he made that were just completely behind some teammates because he hesitated and couldn't process the play fast enough.

He just needs to hang out more around the net and continue working on his puck retrieval and stuff. Don't worry about carrying the puck a lot, don't worry about being a playmaker, just be a net front guy

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Everybody also seemed pretty thrilled with Vesey's play in the post-season, but I can't say I agree with that take.

This year will pretty much tell us what kind of NHL player Vesey will be.

Pirri/Vesey together:

131 mins
43% CF
0% GF (0 GF, 11 GA)

His numbers are alarmingly awful when you look at it.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
So Vesey......

What say you?

We have no idea what the roster will look like. So it's hard to answer your question.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We have no idea what the roster will look like. So it's hard to answer your question.

And (just speculating here) I can't see a surplus that usurps Vesey in AV's eyes unless there's another big move or somebody really surprises us.

What I men is, knowing AV, even if a Nick Jensen [let's just say...] came in and killed it in analytics a la Clendening, it wouldn't be enough. It would have to be visually obvious.

I think Rasp would agree with me there.

I would bet on Vesey being a regular regardless of the quality of his play, again, unless it's painfully obvious.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Vesey absolutely should have been in the A at some point last season or spent more time in the pressbox. He started the season OK and somehow carried that rep throughout the whole season. Terrible defensively. He's actually kind of a Hayes twin both in his style of play and treatment by AV.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Vesey absolutely should have been in the A at some point last season or spent more time in the pressbox. He started the season OK and somehow carried that rep throughout the whole season. Terrible defensively. He's actually kind of a Hayes twin both in his style of play and treatment by AV.

he's one of those guys who's active on the ice which looks good at times but can also just mean he's running around all over the place.

I think he does some stuff well. His forechecking is pretty good, and when he spent more time around the net I thought he was more effective, but yeah his defense is meh for sure

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
ill give him another year before i say hes not very good....i do think some of you are being a little rough on him

he showed flashes of being a a good top 9 winger, i do agree that his play last year left alot to be desired but as a third line winger he could score 15-20 goals a year and that would be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad