Speculation: Jimmy Vesey **Signed with NYR**

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
OK... lets get serious.

Anyone who doesn't see the talent edge the Isles have up front, with JT as the centerpiece and now a second strong veteran voice in the locker room in Ladd; PLUS solid young players like Lee, Nelson, Strome, Cizikas, etc.; PLUS five (5) legit blue-chip prospects like Barzal, Bellows, Beauvillier, MDC, Ho-Sang, etc. (that the Rangers simply cannot match) AND a superior defense core that goes eight (8) players deep is simply not taking the entire package into account.

The Isles might not have the (Mod Edit) in net, however, the Isles have a glut of quality goalies in the system, including one of the foremost G prospects in the world in Ilya Sorokin as well. Sorokin is going to be a beast.

For all of the grief Strome has taken, he still has a 50-point season in the NHL and is six (6) months YOUNGER than Vesey. Put Strome in the NCAA and he would dominate.

And I keep hearing about Pavel Buchneivch, who went 16-21-37 in 58 KHL games. The Isles fourth-round pick, Anatolyi Golyshev, went 25-19-44 in 56 KHL games and he isn't even close to the top of the Isles prospect pool, like Buchevich is for the Rag$.

Of course Vesey chose the Rag$, he probably realizes they are his easiest path to a second big contract. Why would he want to battle Ladd, Nelson, Lee, Strome, Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, MDC, Ho-Sang, Golyshev, etc. when he can take down such luminaries like Kreider (who might be more interested in drinking than playing hockey), Miller, Grabner, Buchnevich, Gropp, etc. at LW?

Last edited by a moderator:

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
OK... lets get serious.

Anyone who doesn't see the talent edge the Isles have up front, with JT as the centerpiece and now a second strong veteran voice in the locker room in Ladd; PLUS solid young players like Lee, Nelson, Strome, Cizikas, etc.; PLUS five (5) legit blue-chip prospects like Barzal, Bellows, Beauvillier, MDC, Ho-Sang, etc. (that the Rangers simply cannot match) AND a superior defense core that goes eight (8) players deep is simply not taking the entire package into account.

The Isles might not have the (Edit) in net, however, the Isles have a glut of quality goalies in the system, including one of the foremost G prospects in the world in Ilya Sorokin as well. Sorokin is going to be a beast.

For all of the grief Strome has taken, he still has a 50-point season in the NHL and is six (6) months YOUNGER than Vesey. Put Strome in the NCAA and he would dominate.

And I keep hearing about Pavel Buchneivch, who went 16-21-37 in 58 KHL games. The Isles fourth-round pick, Anatolyi Golyshev, went 25-19-44 in 56 KHL games and he isn't even close to the top of the Isles prospect pool, like Buchevich is for the Rag$.

Of course Vesey chose the Rag$, he probably realizes they are his easiest path to a second big contract. Why would he want to battle Ladd, Nelson, Lee, Strome, Barzal, Beauvillier, Bellows, MDC, Ho-Sang, Golyshev, etc. when he can take down such luminaries like Kreider (who might be more interested in drinking than playing hockey), Miller, Grabner, Buchnevich, Gropp, etc. at LW?

tLFb.gif

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Sorry, I should have said Strome is two (2) months younger than Vesey, not six (6) months but the point remains the same.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
OK... lets get serious.

The Isles might not have the (Mod Edit) in net, however, the Isles have a glut of quality goalies in the system, including one of the foremost G prospects in the world in Ilya Sorokin as well. Sorokin is going to be a beast.

I'd like to make this it's own thread and sticky it forever. I don't think we have an Isles forum HOF, but I would vote for this.

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
OK... lets get serious.

Very nice post :handclap:

I take the Isles' forwards over the Rags as well because of the massive advantage the Isles have with the best forward on either team by a mile playing for them. The forwards on the whole are close though.

The Rangers' defense is a disaster though. I don't think many people realize how bad they were WITH Yandle, and now he's gone.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
OK... lets get serious.

This. 100%

Has anyone gone over to the Newsday comments and seen what that lunatic anon Gruber keeps saying? Some people....

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
This. 100%

Has anyone gone over to the Newsday comments and seen what that lunatic anon Gruber keeps saying? Some people....

Lol, I just went to check it out. He said that if Vesey was draft eligible this year, he would have been a top-3 pick. And I could definitely see that... if the AARP was drafting a team he would def be a premium pick.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
OK... lets get serious.

Very nice post. Also, I'm glad grabner landed somewhere, even if it was the rags. Nice guy, only ranger I probably don't dislike. There's still time on that though.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
OK... lets get serious.

Good post...Spot on.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
Very nice post :handclap:

I take the Isles' forwards over the Rags as well because of the massive advantage the Isles have with the best forward on either team by a mile playing for them. The forwards on the whole are close though.

The Rangers' defense is a disaster though. I don't think many people realize how bad they were WITH Yandle, and now he's gone.

As bad as he was and as an ancient as he is Dan Boyle was probably the Rangers #5 Dman...Stall is atrocious and signed to a terrible contract. Between Yandle and Boyle leaving, the (Mod Edit) will be 35 come playoff time (if they make it...unlikely)...this team will be a defensive tire fire. Enjoy Vesey.

Also age...

Rags

Girard 32
Klein 31
Staal 29
Mcdonagh 27
Mcilrath 24
Skjei 22

Isles

Boychuk 32
Hickey 27
Hamonic 26
De Haan 25
Leddy 25
Pulock 21

It's crazy to think Hickey is our 2nd oldest D man at 27 years old. We have 4 Dmen younger then him who are just entering their prime and a promising young Pulock.

After Mcdonagh does that team even have another a D man any other elite team would consider a #2 or #3 dman ? I would choose Hickey over any ranger D man not named Mcdonagh (based on skill and age) and Hickey is considered by most our #5-6 D man.

If I were Vesey and I was concerned with going to a team with the best chance to win I would've chose Chi or NYI...He went to the Rags because the competition is weak and because he will get a shot on the 2nd line. Could've chose chi or isles and played in the middle 6 and proved himself on a good team while having a much better chance to win a cup. Chi can win next year and isles are about 1-2 years away from a finals team and will be good for a very long time. Bad choice by him...his best bet to improve to his full potential is not with a dying team like the Rangers. Would've been nice to get the asset but with the prospect pool we have I will not lose any sleep over it.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Not impressed until I see him do well. Where would he have played here? Over Ladd and Lee? Don't think so.

Haven't seen a tire fire like that thread in a while lol.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I don't think anyone considers the Rangers forward prospect depth or breadth better than the Isles.

Rather, that this notion that Rangers are on the precipice of some catastrophic demise has been overstated. They have quality young players at an age range (22-25) generally ready to produce over the next few years.

With regards to the Isles, they have wonderful prospects and young players... But many of them still seem to be of the "still developing variety." For the Isles to take the next step the Isles need their prospects and youth to solidify themselves. None of this is meant to sound controversial... Pretty straight forward observations shared to a degree by the majority of posters on this board.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I don't think anyone considers the Rangers forward prospect depth or breadth better than the Isles.

Rather, that this notion that Rangers are on the precipice of some catastrophic demise has been overstated. They have quality young players at an age range (22-25) generally ready to produce over the next few years.

With regards to the Isles, they have wonderful prospects and young players... But many of them still seem to be of the "still developing variety." For the Isles to take the next step the Isles need their prospects and youth to solidify themselves. None of this is meant to sound controversial... Pretty straight forward observations shared to a degree by the majority of posters on this board.

My thoughts as well

I'm just trying to be a realist. I love our Islanders, but I just think the gap is closer than what it appears.

We have a much better prospect cupboard.

The only 2 edges I see the Rangers having over us would be much more balanced scoring in there lineup, and of course goal tending.

If we get some more help this year from Lee, Nelson, and Strome then things will be different

Prospects are a great thing to have, but until you have a proven NHL product they are an unknown factor that cannot contribute in the present until they make it to the bigs and show what they got and if they can stick around for the long haul.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
The kids need to step it up this year...Strome especially.

cappy has to stay patient with strome as #2 C .He's not going to get stronger at all facets of C at the nhl level if he's constantly moved to RW after a bad game .

otoh , strome better come ready otherwise Barzal might bounce him to W

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
cappy has to stay patient with strome as #2 C .He's not going to get stronger at all facets of C at the nhl level if he's constantly moved to RW after a bad game .

otoh , strome better come ready otherwise Barzal might bounce him to W

It's not just about being patient. You could have no coach at all and that non-entity would show Strome all the patience in the world.

A good coach should also teach Strome, or any player, how to reach his potential. We can all see that Strome has a lot of talent and it's not all on the coach to realize it, but I hope that we can all agree that developing players isn't exactly capuano's strong suit. The players develop in spite of him - Not because of him.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
OK... lets get serious.

I would LOVE to see this posted in the Vescey thread on the Rangers board. You really can't dispute any of it. Would love to see the blowhard anti-Isles people try to respond to this.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

This is all very true. The rangers could easily be in the mix for a Cup this season. They've added three very interesting pieces in Mika, Pavel B, and Vesey. Of course they're all question marks, but they're question marks with a good amount of potential to make the rangers offense better than it has been in years.

Still the key is Lundqvist. He wan't his invincible self last season, but was still stellar. The rangers just happened to run into the hottest team in the league, and eventual Cup winners, in the playoffs. If Henrik plays like his usual self I still expect them to be in the mix in the East and that makes them Cup contenders (unfortunately).

That said, once Henrik starts tailing off or retires, the rangers will become an average team almost instantly assuming they don't replace him. They really don't have any high-end prospects at F or D in the pipeline so as we know it will take years to accumulate/develop even 2-3 of them.

As a result they willl be reliant on FA/trades to stay a contender, but once Henrik goes then you have to wonder about what their "core" will look like and who will be worth building around - Or should they just blow it up then. This will be a very interesting season for them to tell where they are.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I would LOVE to see this posted in the Vescey thread on the Rangers board. You really can't dispute any of it. Would love to see the blowhard anti-Isles people try to respond to this.

Unfortunately, you cannot fix stupid. It is better to let them remain ignorant and wallow in their own lack of awareness.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
One other point on prospects, it is not just what they can do for you when they make the lineup (cheap, quality depth) but also what they can return in trade, if you need one or two final pieces. And that is a huge edge that the Isles have that the Rag$ simply do not.

The Isles can deal from strength and depth if they need to. Although I guess the Raggies can keep trading away first and second rounders for the Yandle's and Staal's of the world.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
This is all very true. The rangers could easily be in the mix for a Cup this season. They've added three very interesting pieces in Mika, Pavel B, and Vesey. Of course they're all question marks, but they're question marks with a good amount of potential to make the rangers offense better than it has been in years.

No way Jose.... not with that defense. They will be good enough to get into the playoffs and maybe go a round if Lundqvist stays healthy, but that's their hard ceiling. Staal and Girardi are half of their top 4, that means plenty of time 5V5 and on the PK. No bueno

The pieces they added were nice, but at what cost? Zibby is younger and cheaper, but is he better than Brassard? Vesey and Buch are unproven... but considering age and league, hardly posted eye popping numbers. The big question up front is can Zuccarello sustain what he did last year? Very doubtful he carries that 15.7% shot percentage again when his career best was 11% prior to last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad