Speculation: Jimmy Vesey II

Status
Not open for further replies.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i think Vesey signs with the Golden Seals

Those white skates are really cool makes me think of Dorothy Hamel and Peggy Fleming

he's brushing up on his bacarat game. gonna take a year off, play in switzerland and then come back and sign with vegas as their first-ever player.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If Chicago or the Bruins called me on my first contract right now,I'd be heading for Chicago. Isn't the goal to win a cup,especially when all else is equal?

But things aren't all equal. Vesey isn't a life long Blackhawks fan. He isn't from the Chicago area nor has he stated a desire to remain in the Central Timezone because of a desire to be close to home. His best friend isn't in the organization and he doesn't have teammates from Havard who are in the Blackhawks organization.

We do know that the Blackhawks have spurned two of his better friends in the Hayes brothers, so if the rumors are true that Hayes' family is secretly whispering to the Veseys about the dangers of being a Bruin, they would most likely 86 any possible trip out to Chicago for Vesey.

beantown bullies

LOOOOOOCH
Jul 3, 2008
Boston
But things aren't all equal. Vesey isn't a life long Blackhawks fan. He isn't from the Chicago area nor has he stated a desire to remain in the Central Timezone because of a desire to be close to home. His best friend isn't in the organization and he doesn't have teammates from Havard who are in the Blackhawks organization.

We do know that the Blackhawks have spurned two of his better friends in the Hayes brothers, so if the rumors are true that Hayes' family is secretly whispering to the Veseys about the dangers of being a Bruin, they would most likely 86 any possible trip out to Chicago for Vesey.

The opposite argument can be made tho. The Blackhawks drafted Beau Starrett and just had brother Shane in for the development camp. While the Hayes family name is more popular because Jimmy and Kevin were both drafted, Jimmy (V) did grow up playing with the Starrett brothers.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The opposite argument can be made tho. The Blackhawks drafted Beau Starrett and just had brother Shane in for the development camp. While the Hayes family name is more popular because Jimmy and Kevin were both drafted, Jimmy (V) did grow up playing with the Starrett brothers.

Ahh, I did not know that. IMO, neither Starrett's will amount to much.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Just bumping this tweet again, because, well, it seems like a big deal?

Dom's tweet suggests Vesey is signing with the Bruins.

SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN.

New Thread: Jimmy Vesey line combinations? :nod:

Just to get it out of the way, I think the new thread should be 'Is Jimmy Vesey a bust?' You know it's coming after the kid has a rough season, or even first couple of months in the NHL. He'll then get some heat in the local media and be traded where he goes on to have a productive career. Any bets on the poster to create such a thread? :laugh:

"First couple of months?" Bwhahaha! I give it 3 shifts! :laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

Other predicted future threads:

"Confirmed with Link: Julien calls out Vesey"

"Vesey on Claude relationship"

"Is Jimmy in Claude's Doghouse?"

"Player Discussion Jimmy Vesey Part XCVIII Page 103939303"

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Sweeney has all the tools available to him that only one other GM has - the secret Harvard handshake and I can assure you Vesey is not going to Edmonton :laugh:

I really think it is coming down to Boston vs Chicago.

Chuck Fletcher (Minnesota GM) is also a Harvard Grad.

This thread is hilarious. Does a really nice job of showing you what type of poster a person is in general, given all the different takes. We have the eternal optimists, the curmudgeons, the "grass is always greener" folks, the stats guys, the prospect guys (and gals for all of these :D).

Classic bathroom reading in the morning :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I was told tonight by a person in Providence and another in Chicago that Patrick Kane will be in Foxborough on Wednesday night :popcorn::popcorn:

Kane for years played in a similar summer league in Buffalo but this year the Hawks asked him to avoid his hometown during the summer. We know Bowman has been in Foxborough watching so did Stan suggest this to Kane :dunno:

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/event-name-countdown-clock-51b22f09-e37f-4703-90ba-6edf818fa70a

If I'm trotting out a guy to extol the virtues of Chicago and make a good impression on Vesey, not sure Kane is the guy I'm sending. It would be like BUF having E Kane talk to him instead of Eichel :laugh:

Maybe it's the last name.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

Hasn't the equalizer always been money? Since that's equal,what's next? Playing for the rebuilding home team or having a real chance at a cup,immediately? Or is it about listening to a couple of overrated,underperforming non championship team caliber players?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If I'm trotting out a guy to extol the virtues of Chicago and make a good impression on Vesey, not sure Kane is the guy I'm sending. It would be like BUF having E Kane talk to him instead of Eichel :laugh:

Maybe it's the last name.

agreed, you`d think Toews would be the guy, much in the way I suspect Bergy would be the go to guy to help recruit possible UFA`s who are thinking of Boston as a destination

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
agreed, you`d think Toews would be the guy, much in the way I suspect Bergy would be the go to guy to help recruit possible UFA`s who are thinking of Boston as a destination

I'm sure the league MVP who is also a winger with 3 Stanley Cups,a Conn Smythe and a scoring championship will have some sway.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hasn't the equalizer always been money? Since that's equal,what's next? Playing for the rebuilding home team or having a real chance at a cup,immediately? Or is it about listening to a couple of overrated,underperforming non championship team caliber players?

Chara, Krejci, and Bergeron have all won the Cup and aren't overrated.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'm sure the league MVP who is also a winger with 3 Stanley Cups,a Conn Smythe and a scoring championship will have some sway.

Let's be honest here, if money is equal, which of his friends or idols are on what teams is going to be pretty low on the priority list of factors that influence his decision.

Jimmy Vesey is going to do what's best for Jimmy Vesey.

Yes it's nice to have a familiar face in the dressing room coming in, but it's far from a deal-breaker.

HiyaGeorgii

Apr 6, 2016
I really hope Vesey decides on the Bruins, but if not I will look forward to the "He's not going to be that great anyways" posts that always follow this type of thing.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm hoping to go with Vesey "Making the Bruins Great Again".

If they lose Vesey and the kids suck lot of silver linings m
No bathroom lines
Parking not so crowded
No ticket increases
If they really suck free vouchers again to games
HF goes back to a few posters as folks bail

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Well, if he signs with the B's he'd be out of a job since there are 85 blue chip prospects just bursting through the system. Only a matter of time before Jesse Gabrielle takes his job away.

I think Gabrielle is traded to Vancouver as part of the Horvat deal in June 2018

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
My Mom's third cousins stepdaughters babysitters grandson is from 'The Town' and he says that Vesey always picked the Sabres when they played hockey on XBox growing up. Damn you Buffalo!!

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Let's be honest here, if money is equal, which of his friends or idols are on what teams is going to be pretty low on the priority list of factors that influence his decision.

Jimmy Vesey is going to do what's best for Jimmy Vesey.

Yes it's nice to have a familiar face in the dressing room coming in, but it's far from a deal-breaker.

I do not know Jimmy Vesey at all. But IN GENERAL things like friends and hometown teams and stuff like that means WAY more to fans than professionals.

It's a business. Guys are going to value different things at different levels. $, winning, quality of living of area, facilities, depth at that position are all things that I think most players care about more than what logo was on their bedspread when they were 8.

Of course there are some individuals who that stuff might matter more for. I guess we'll find out where Vesey stands in a couple weeks.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Believe it or not, you're actually way off on the bolded. The average age of an NCAA team is actually up over 22. (source:
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/). If you go to Vesey's frosh season in 2012/2013, the average age was almost 25!

I'm just going off the EP ages. In the Ivy League last year;

Harvard - average age 20.29
Cornell - average age 20.46
Princeton - average age 20.79
Brown - average age 20.92
Yale - average age 21.04
Dartmouth - average age 21.08

Obviously, top players in the Ivy league players stay to graduation more often than other schools. If you look at top programs outside the Ivy League it's even younger;

Boston College - average age of 19.79
Michigan - average age of 19.95
Boston U - average age of 20.0
Minnesota - average age of 20.08
North Dakota - average age of 20.44
Denver - average age of 20.59

Maybe I should have said just over 20 instead of just under 20. To get an average age of 22 you'd have to include the DII and III teams where 21 year old freshman are not uncommon. To get an average age of 25 I think you'd have to include the ages of coaches, administrators and maybe DHK. :naughty:

In any event, Vesey does have a peer group, but it's not Hobey Baker winner Johnny Gaudreau, who was putting up a ppg as a very young 18 year old, and it's not Jack Eichel, who won the Hobey Baker at an even younger 18 posting 1.8 ppg. One of those guys is elite and one is generational.

Vesey's peer group is a good one in it's own right, but clearly not in the company of Gaudreau/Eichel and players of that ilk. If we are talking about players with NHL size winning the Hobey Baker in their senior year of college on the strength of 40ish-60ish point seasons this century we are talking about Drew LeBlanc, Jack Connolly, Blake Geoffrion, Kevin Porter, Matt Carle, Junior Lessard, Jordan Leopold, Mike Mottau. That's not a bad peer group in itslef and Vesey ends up being the caliber of one of those guys that's alright to. I don't think any of those guys jumped into a top 6/top pair role (maybe Leopold & Carle?). Some never made it at all.

I am as impressed as everyone else by Vesey's interview with Hags, in that he comes accross as a level headed, articulate young man with some good strong character. That's everything you would expect of a 4 year Harvard man and qualities the Bruins rightly covet. In fact that interview for me, hearing directly from the kid, changed my opinion on him in a very positive way. At the same time, I feel the expectations around here don't match the resume. If we are worried about Jimmy Vesey getting the Jimmy Hayes treatment, it seems to me the best thing to do is start tempering expectations. Not lowering them, but keeping them relative to his actual peer group and not holding expectations of him that he simply can't live up to. It's the unrealistic expectations that risk turning into a self fulfilling prophecy, re: Hayes treatment.

I'm not at all saying Vesey will come in and compete for the Calder (wherever he ends up), but it's just wrong to consider him an average NCAA prospect. He should definitely be considered a high-level prospect coming into whatever organization, and would definitely change some things for us if he came here.

I used the Zach Hyman comparison because it fits, but you can use any of his cohorts listed above to arrive at reasonable expectation. Hyman is roughly the same size, put up 22 goals and 54 points as a senior wearing a letter for Michigan. He played a little in the NHL in the year immediately following his graduation and also groomed his game in the AHL. Those are pretty safe expectation for Vesey as well. If he surpasses those expectations then whatever team ends up with him will be very happy. As for unrealistic fans ... well, there's never any satisfying that crowd. I'm sure the threads on here will be unfairly cruel if it goes that way.

(NOTE on Andy Miele: I don't consider him in Vesey's class because he's 5'8 and didn't reach ppg numbers until he was older than his opponents. Smaller guys who have success tend to do so against older and stronger players. Vesy much > Miele)

This thread is hilarious. Does a really nice job of showing you what type of poster a person is in general, given all the different takes. We have the eternal optimists, the curmudgeons, the "grass is always greener" folks, the stats guys, the prospect guys (and gals for all of these :D).

Guilty!

Last edited:

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I think Gabrielle is traded to Vancouver as part of the Horvat deal in June 2018

Good point, but you are neglecting that with future #1 Ds Carlo, Zboril, Lauzon, McAvoy, Arnesson and Tommy Cross (who really impressed last year), it's very possible one of the other amazing D prospects switches to LW.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
If I'm Vesey I want Toews to visit me and at least offer to give me 19 It would be a classy move and Vesey won't take it but endear himself to the Chicago fans.

More importantly I want Bowman promising top 6 minutes and powerplay so I can reach all incentives and get somewhere near $4 M this year.

Kane, Toews, Hull, Mikita, Ted Bulley, all fine just make sure I am getting prime minutes with the best players

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good point, but you are neglecting that with future #1 Ds Carlo, Zboril, Lauzon, McAvoy, Arnesson and Tommy Cross (who really impressed last year), it's very possible one of the other amazing D prospects switches to LW.

I know your smarter than me in hockey so I'm not offended - just don't bust me on football or baseball where I excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad