Rumor: Jimmy Howard to Retire

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Good goalie finds a way to get it done, bad goalies lose multiple 3-1 Series leads, but Jimmy is Jimmy, below average goalie who was never in great shape.
I hope all his "fanboys" remember how it was for years, going into the 3rd period with a lead, just to see Jimmy lose it, consistently.

As solid of a point as “good goalies find a way to get it done” is, when you have an actual point grounded in the reality let me know. Or just keep up your usual ad hominem attacks, just proves how weak your takes actually are

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I do remember a few years where the Wings absolutely sucked in the third period.
However, I can't find any websites with goalie numbers by period, which is kind of surprising.

Reactions: kliq

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I can say the same, unfortunately for you, unlike you and some on here, most people understand hockey better
and actually do some research before making statements.
Stats Breakdowns by period show Howie was always terrible in the 3rds.
Look it up.
Normally the person who makes the assertion has the burden of demonstrating it.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Jimmy was for a long time a major part of the reason this team didn't fall out of the playoffs. Very underrated in those terms considering a lot of people wanted to lay the credit for that 100% at Datsyuk and Zetterberg's feet.

Tough for a goalie to hit his stride just at the same time as the team in front starts losing all defensive talent. All-in-all he had a good career for us.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Jimmy was for a long time a major part of the reason this team didn't fall out of the playoffs. Very underrated in those terms considering a lot of people wanted to lay the credit for that 100% at Datsyuk and Zetterberg's feet.

Tough for a goalie to hit his stride just at the same time as the team in front starts losing all defensive talent. All-in-all he had a good career for us.

I remember the 2013 playoffs series against Chicago. After falling down 0-1, he posted 3 consecutive games with a 3-0 record, allowed 2 total goals with a save percentage of 0.977. He had a rough game tossed in there, but that game 7 he stopped 33 of 35 shots and the last goal was the Seabrook shot that deflected off of Kronwall's skate in overtime. He single handedly willed that team to that position, and we should have been able to advance.

Reactions: Red Stanley

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Nice career bud, wish we got that one in 09`. Wish him luck with whatever else he's interested in.

Would of been nice to watch him get one last run with another playoff team even as a backup. I understand though, he's older, kids are older, go to school in the area. Plus he did look shot last year on top of being on a bad team.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Was able to find goals by period by team.
These are the seasons where jimmy played a majority of the Wings games:
Hockey reference only has this going back to 14-15.
Season 1-2-3
14-15 64-66-77 = +12
17-18 69-82-91 = + 15.5
18-19 64-103-100 = + 16.5

Here's the same for goals for
Season 1-2-3
14-15 59-84-81 = +18
17-18 63-71-75 =+8
62-67-86 = +21.5

So yeah, Howard did suck more in the third period, most likely.
But it might have been a function of the game. Because the Wings also scored more in the third period.
Plus empty netters skew these stats.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Yeah, that is not something that happened.

It absolutely is something that happened, and I have dozens of Blackhawks fans who will attest to it. The primary reason the Wings were in that series is because Jimmy played out of his mind.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
It absolutely is something that happened, and I have dozens of Blackhawks fans who will attest to it. The primary reason the Wings were in that series is because Jimmy played out of his mind.

What? Hometown fans thinking they did everything right but couldn't score on a hot goalie? Impossible! :sarcasm:

Up 3-1, Howard had two games where he gave up 4 goals.
You can say Howard played great in games 3-4 and I won't dispute that.
But he faltered.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
What? Hometown fans thinking they did everything right but couldn't score on a hot goalie? Impossible! :sarcasm:

Up 3-1, Howard had two games where he gave up 4 goals.
You can say Howard played great in games 3-4 and I won't dispute that.
But he faltered.

Games 2 through 4 he stopped 86 of 88 shots. One of the 4 goal games he stopped 41 of 45. Game 7 he was fantastic and was beat because his defender half committed to getting in the shooting lane.

That series he posted had a GAA of 2.14 and a save percentage of 0.937. GTFO pretending like he faltered and was somehow the problem.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Games 2 through 4 he stopped 86 of 88 shots. One of the 4 goal games he stopped 41 of 45. Game 7 he was fantastic and was beat because his defender half committed to getting in the shooting lane.

That series he posted had a GAA of 2.14 and a save percentage of 0.937. GTFO pretending like he faltered and was somehow the problem.

3 games with a chance to move on to the conference finals.
3 losses. 2 games giving up 4 goals.
That's the definition of faltering.

Plenty of blame to go around.
Datsyuk and Franzen.
Babcock for that asinine Abb-Datsyuk-Franzen line.
But yeah, Jimmy choked in Games 5 and 6.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
been following wings since 94. Jimmy was my favorite red wing goalkeeper and if he was with the team like in mid 90 , we might have more Stanley cups

Reactions: Red Stanley

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
It’s a shame things ended the way they did for Jimmy. Still one heck of a career, possibly underrated.

Reactions: kliq

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I do remember a few years where the Wings absolutely sucked in the third period.
However, I can't find any websites with goalie numbers by period, which is kind of surprising.

I have no idea where this stat is either, but if my memory serves me correctly, this was a problem for both Howard and Mrazek. Considering we had the worst (or at least close to the worse) D in the league, I can’t say I’m surprised when every final 2min of a game we were peppered with quality shots.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
I can say the same, unfortunately for you, unlike you and some on here, most people understand hockey better
and actually do some research before making statements.
Stats Breakdowns by period show Howie was always terrible in the 3rds.
Look it up.
You've been talking trash about Howard for years. We all know you hate the guy. If you can't say something nice in a retirement thread, why post at all? And you're wrong to boot.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I have no idea where this stat is either, but if my memory serves me correctly, this was a problem for both Howard and Mrazek. Considering we had the worst (or at least close to the worse) D in the league, I can’t say I’m surprised when every final 2min of a game we were peppered with quality shots.

I remember that one year when Jimmy Howard turned into Steve Sax in the shootouts.
Might have been the same year Mrazek's game totally went to hell. I don't now if Mrazek had some kind of personal issue, but he went from really solid, really good goalie to nightmare - overnight - with that Bruins game.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Retired Jimmy Howard retires?

Ok.

Did won 2 Champsionships with him in a Keeper league. After his first season as a Red Wings starter (2009-10) .924 sv%, and after that last good season (2016-17) .927 sv%.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
I wonder if Abdelkader will go the same route and retire, or if he’ll try Europe or KHL first. Maybe join Dats and pull that piano once again

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad