Rumor: Jimmy Howard to Retire

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Looking back on his stats, Jimmy had a remarkable NHL career.

His peak between 2011-2013 was a lot of fun to watch. He was a fiery competitor and a top tier goalie, plus he had really cool pads.

19daf0c4b692b211719184b7366be22e.png

Reactions: Red Stanley

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I wouldn't be surprised if a guy who wants to play that bad finds a way to still be involved in some capacity with the Red Wings or at least in the NHL somewhere.

Reminds me of Chelios a bit, wanting to play until the last possible moment. Can't say I blame him for wanting to live the dream as long as he can do it.

But yeah, the writing has been on the wall for a long time and writ large. He has to retire.

Reactions: kliq

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Good career for a decent goalie. He couldn't stay healthy, and some of that might just be on him and his seeming lack of physical conditioning in the offseason, but still wish him the best in whatever he does from here on out.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
His career is actually a nice story. I remember few observers thought he'd be as good as he turned out to be until he actually showed it.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Jimmy Howard had the unfortunate task of being the starting goaltender of a sinking ship, and I think got unfair treatment by the fans because of it.

He was a solid goaltender most years, but plagued with injuries and some inconsistency over the course of the season. Retirement was inevitable after his play completely cratered last season, but I appreciate what he brought to the team during his prime years.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Skill baseline he seemed to me to be an Osgood level goaltender without Osgood level teams.

Above average goalie and could have some very nice hot stretches, but even at his peak was never a top 10 goalie for a span of time.

Still, he’s a lot better at what he does than what almost anyone on this forum is at their profession. Hope he has a good retirement, always seemed like a nice guy

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
One thing I will say though is he seemed anti clutch. Goalies like Osgood always seemed to turn it up and make “the” save when it mattered most, whereas Howard always seemed to let in one near the end to blow it

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Jimmy Howard: For many years, he was far from the biggest problem with the Wings.

Until he was.

Have a wonderful retirement and best of luck in all future endeavors.

Yeah, this. Howard was an exceptional goalie for chunks of his early career, and was otherwise solid-to-very good for a while. I mean, in his first 3 full seasons he won 109 games for Detroit. A .917 SV%. It just turned out to not be sustainable. Injuries and age caught up to him quicker than anyone would have liked and at some point he was just never able to get near his best again. Not to mention the downfall of the Wings as a whole. And then he kinda hung around a while longer than many would have liked.

I remember meeting both Jimmy and Osgood in Traverse City back in 2007. Jimmy was still a couple years away from being the starter, but the feeling of the torch being passed was strong. It was still a very exciting time for the Wings, and I was pumped to get a puck signed by both of them... the legend and the future.

Last edited:

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Do you mind expanding on this? Lumping him with Abdelkader (only got his contract because of playing with Datsyuk who even acknowledged how much of an anchor he was) and Ericsson (who never even broke the 20 point barrier) seems pretty insane without demonstrating it in any way.

Coaches like Babcock/Hitchcock, with reasonable talent, are the kind of keepers who inflate goalie numbers.
A guy like Brian Elliot can look like a regular 1B/backup goalie, go to St. Louis and look like a Vezina winner, and return to 1B/backup form.
One of the reasons goalies are so hard to scout is because even a fully developed goalie is challenging to assess.
We waited a long, long time for Jimmy Howard. He was 25 before he played significant minutes. I don't remember what your take was on Jimmy, but I was always cautiously optimistic he would be a good goalie despite uneven results in Grand Rapids with a few weakish teams.
Jimmy Howard's career:
9-10: Rookie Year. Great regular season. Not as good in the playoffs - es[especially the SJ series.
10-11: Substantial decline in sve pct/GAA, but nobody really cares because his WL was about the same. Playoff performance improved. Helped Detroit comeback from down 3-0 to SJ. Wings/Howard could get it done in Game 7.
11-12 - Howard improves his GAA and sv pct. Was not good, however, in that 4-1 playoff loss to Nashville.
-----
So, we enter Jimmy Howard's contract year, 2012-13.
What do we know about Howard?
Good regular season goalie, 2 out of 3 years.
One good playoff performance. One so-so performance. One poor playoff performance.
12-13 was the shortened season. The start of the post-Lidstrom era.
Howard is nearing the end of his 12-13 regular season when Holland signs his deal
21-13-7 (pretty meh) but he also had five shutouts, 2.13 GAA and .923 sv pct.
Other factors to consider:
* Red Wings were able to keep great teams together under the cap by being thrifty on goalies.
* Petr Mrazek was a highly regarded prospect who was completing a very good rookie year in the AHL and who looked good in a brief NHL callup.
* Wings signed Gustavsson for two years.
---
In April, Holland signed Howard to one of the richest contracts among NHL goalies..

Howard had done enough to make it reasonable, but at the same time, I still felt he was unproven.
His playoff performances didn't scream "playoff stud." His regular seasons were mostly good, playing in a good system with Datsyuk/Zetterbug and Flip as his centers.

It was a break from the Wings philosophy.
I wouldn't have supported that kind of contract for any kind of goalie, unless he was a proven stud. And I never thought Howard proved it.

---
Howard finished out that year with what I thought was a solid playoffs.
Really good numbers. But lost his last 3 playoff games as the Wings blew a 3-1 series lead. The second of those, in Detroit, he gave up 3 goals in the third period.

---
Actual contract kicks in.
Never finishes another playoff series.

Four years before the new contract kicks in.
Reg season 130-62. .918 2.35
Started every Red Wings playoff game

Six year contract
113-148 .911 2.71
Never finished a playoff series in goal for the Wings.

Almost every year, started well and then deteriorated badly with the notable exception of 16-17 - when he only started 24 games.
16-17 was also the only "plus" year Howard had during the contract. Every other year his sv percentage was .910 or below.
---

I don't think Howard was ever as bad as Abdelkader, or Ericsson.
But it was another example of Ken Holland being completely oblivious to the actual value of players.
Overpaid. Over-extended.

And these kinds of contracts cost us useful players.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
Howard had a long career and was lucky have to have Ken Holland as his GM which equals $$$. He'll live like a king but there is a good chance he's 300 lbs by now.

Reactions: MBH

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Howard had a long career and was lucky have to have Ken Holland as his GM which equals $$$. He'll live like a king but there is a good chance he's 300 lbs by now.

Nearly $45 million.
Nice gig.
As long as he didn't Evander Kane or Sergei Fedorov his money away, he can spend the rest of his life doing whatever the hell he wants.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Throughout his career I was his biggest detractor or at least one of them. He was a bit of a headcase in big games, and I think people who think he could have lead a team to a cup probably are looking at things with rose color glasses. On the other hand I don't see him as one of the Holland drafted throwaway players that kept getting sweetheart deals for no reason either. In the end he had an average career and had a couple seasons where he was very good in the regular season. Wish they kept Mrazek though.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Throughout his career I was his biggest detractor or at least one of them. He was a bit of a headcase in big games, and I think people who think he could have lead a team to a cup probably are looking at things with rose color glasses. On the other hand I don't see him as one of the Holland drafted throwaway players that kept getting sweetheart deals for no reason either. In the end he had an average career and had a couple seasons where he was very good in the regular season. Wish they kept Mrazek though.

I dont think anyone used the term "lead". What I said was that if you swapped him for Crawford, I think he wins the cup with Chicago in 2013 and/or 2015 which was a stacked team.

Jimmy was paid like an above average starting goaltender, and he played like an above average starting goaltender. IMO he and Crawford are at the same level.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
I dont think anyone used the term "lead". What I said was that if you swapped him for Crawford, I think he wins the cup with Chicago in 2013 and/or 2015 which was a stacked team.

Jimmy was paid like an above average starting goaltender, and he played like an above average starting goaltender. IMO he and Crawford are at the same level.
Crawford excelled in playoff games and Howard blew two 3-1 series leads.
Never won a damn thing in his career and always folded in 3rd periods.
Comparing him to Crawford is nuts.

Reactions: odin1981

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I felt the same way about Crawford when Crawford sign his deal.
Until Crawford was a playoff stud again. His numbers weren't as hot in 2015, but he was actually much better in my estimation.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Crawford excelled in playoff games and Howard blew two 3-1 series leads.
Never won a damn thing in his career and always folded in 3rd periods.
Comparing him to Crawford is nuts.

Such a lazy take. I would agree with you if all things were equal, but do you really believe that Howard's Wings in 2013 were at the same level as Crawfords Hawks? Not even close.
You switch Crawford and Howard that year, you think the Wings win the cup? I think things play out the exact same way. Blaming Howard for the Wings loosing in 7 to the team that eventually won the cup and was on paper wayyyyy better then us is asinine.

Last edited:

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I felt the same way about Crawford when Crawford sign his deal.
Until Crawford was a playoff stud again. His numbers weren't as hot in 2015, but he was actually much better in my estimation.

To be clear, when I say they are similar I'm talking about Howard in his prime when he was healthy. Not the Howard we saw later in his career when he was hurt half the time.

I truly believe that if Howard was traded to the Hawks after they lost Neimi, he wins at least 1 cup with them. Not saying he wins the conn smythe, but with that team in front of him I believe he had the ability to do so.

Reactions: Oddbob

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
To be clear, when I say they are similar I'm talking about Howard in his prime when he was healthy. Not the Howard we saw later in his career when he was hurt half the time.

I truly believe that if Howard was traded to the Hawks after they lost Neimi, he wins at least 1 cup with them. Not saying he wins the conn smythe, but with that team in front of him I believe he had the ability to do so.

Maybe.
But I have doubts. Maybe he wins that 2013 cup, when the Hawks were just dominant after beating Detroit.
I don't think Jimmy ever showed much big-game moxie or mental toughness.
But it's possible.

2015? The Hawks were outshot at 5 and 5 and at even strength.
Crawford stood tall and probably should have been the Conn Smythe winner.
(Lots of Wings fans say Ozzie should have been the CS winner in 09. Detroit was still a dominant team in 09).

And this "injuries hurt Jimmy" thing .. even if you go down that route, you probably have to acknowledge Howard contributed this by not ever being a goalie known for staying in shape.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Maybe.
But I have doubts. Maybe he wins that 2013 cup, when the Hawks were just dominant after beating Detroit.
I don't think Jimmy ever showed much big-game moxie or mental toughness.
But it's possible.

2015? The Hawks were outshot at 5 and 5 and at even strength.
Crawford stood tall and probably should have been the Conn Smythe winner.
(Lots of Wings fans say Ozzie should have been the CS winner in 09. Detroit was still a dominant team in 09).

And this "injuries hurt Jimmy" thing .. even if you go down that route, you probably have to acknowledge Howard contributed this by not ever being a goalie known for staying in shape.

Fair enough, I can’t argue with that last paragraph.

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Such a lazy take. I would agree with you if all things were equal, but do you really believe that Howard's Wings in 2013 were at the same level as Crawfords Hawks? Not even close.
You switch Crawford and Howard that year, you think the Wings win the cup? I think things play out the exact same way. Blaming Howard for the Wings loosing in 7 to the teams that eventually won the cup and was on paper wayyyyy better then us is asinine.

Good goalie finds a way to get it done, bad goalies lose multiple 3-1 Series leads, but Jimmy is Jimmy, below average goalie who was never in great shape.
I hope all his "fanboys" remember how it was for years, going into the 3rd period with a lead, just to see Jimmy lose it, consistently.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Good goalie finds a way to get it done, bad goalies lose multiple 3-1 Series leads, but Jimmy is Jimmy, below average goalie who was never in great shape.
I hope all his "fanboys" remember how it was for years, going into the 3rd period with a lead, just to see Jimmy lose it, consistently.
Unfortunately for you, most people have eyes and the ability to be at least somewhat objective. Not even the stats back up your terrible take.

Reactions: ShelbyZ and kliq

StargateSG1

Nov 26, 2016
Unfortunately for you, most people have eyes and the ability to be at least somewhat objective. Not even the stats back up your terrible take.
I can say the same, unfortunately for you, unlike you and some on here, most people understand hockey better
and actually do some research before making statements.
Stats Breakdowns by period show Howie was always terrible in the 3rds.
Look it up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad