Waived: Jim O'Brien, Corey Cowick, Tyler Eckford, Nathan Lawson (MOD - all cleared)

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I really don't like these waives. I guess that's just how it is but it's just a matter of time before 4 guys get injured and we're without decent assets to fill those spots. I guess them getting picked up by another team would be good for them so that's just how it is.

Berserker*

I really don't like these waives. I guess that's just how it is but it's just a matter of time before 4 guys get injured and we're without decent assets to fill those spots. I guess them getting picked up by another team would be good for them so that's just how it is.

Its part of the CBA, which protects players from getting stuck in the minors by deep organizations.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I like Cowick, hopefully he doesn't get claimed. Loved him with the 67's, tons of heart, grit and determination. Willing to fight occaisionally.

The epitome of a solid 4th liner actually.

SensHero

Jul 19, 2010
Ottawa
No ones getting claimed. All other teams need to assess their assets first. Do you want to be stuck starting JOB for the whole season? or Hoffman? Too many questions?

Hoffman is zero risk, he has a two-way. Any team can claim him, try him out in a couple games, and then put him back on waivers. If nothing else he would be great to have on your AHL team. If that actually happened that he was claimed, and then put back on waivers, I could see Ottawa claiming him back if it went that far.

JOB on the other had carries a risk, one way deal.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
Typically the safest time in the year for waivers, every team is still analyzing 3 or 4 players that they have already and deciding what to do with them, before even even thinking about assessing a player from another organization.

Also what message does it send to players in their own org? We were going to keep you up, but there's this other player we got for free that we have to keep up now, but his old team didn't need him.

Wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't an unwritten 'code' amongst GMs that you don't claim players off waivers at the begining of the season.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Typically the safest time in the year for waivers, every team is still analyzing 3 or 4 players that they have already and deciding what to do with them, before even even thinking about assessing a player from another organization.

Also what message does it send to players in their own org? We were going to keep you up, but there's this other player we got for free that we have to keep up now, but his old team didn't need him.

Wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't an unwritten 'code' amongst GMs that you don't claim players off waivers at the begining of the season.

There typically is. Every year this discussion is had and every year it is a non-issue.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Pop_the_cork.77124051_std.jpg

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Last year showed the importance of farm depth in the face of injuries. JOB is a nice safety blanket for now.....but long term he probably has no hockey future.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I like JOB and hopefully he keeps playing for the AHL.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call with respect to how we look at our own prospects.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
:cry:

I guess JOB is going to disappear again

:sarcasm:

I like JOB and hopefully he keeps playing for the AHL.

Hopefully this is a wake-up call with respect to how we look at our own prospects.

Why? All those guys aren't special enough to be NHLers, even if it was Hoffman and DD... Now if it would have been Da Costa...

WhiteLight*

too bad could have saved uncle Eug a few bucks

Why? All those guys aren't special enough to be NHLers, even if it was Hoffman and DD... Now if it would have been Da Costa...

either means

1-Shouldn't be too quick to give out 1-way contracts

2-Should have more respect for the talent in Bingo/prospect pool

2 extremes don't know which it is

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I like Cowick, hopefully he doesn't get claimed. Loved him with the 67's, tons of heart, grit and determination. Willing to fight occaisionally.

The epitome of a solid 4th liner actually.

Also loved Cowick with the 67s. Would love to see get a call up this year. I think he could surprise.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Is everyone convinced that JOB will be sent down now that he, DD and Hoffman have cleared waivers. Do they want him taking a roster spot in Bingo or be the 13th or 14th forward in the stands in Ottawa. Either way they'll be paying him. Any advantages / disadvantages either way?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad