Waived: Jim O'Brien, Corey Cowick, Tyler Eckford, Nathan Lawson (MOD - all cleared)

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
JOB is a decent 4th liner, unfortunately he's behind Smith in that department. Wish him good luck, as he seemingly doesn't have a future with this organizaton under Maclean.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If no trading partner is found, then Hoffman is next on the list to be put on waivers. SDC stays, at least temporarily - while Pageau is pencilled into the opening day lineup.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If I had to take a guess at a pedantically specific chance of O'Brien being picked up on waivers, I'd say there's a 38% chance he gets claimed

Hmmm, I was thinking about 36%. You're being overly optimistic :sarcasm:

No seriously, please someone pick him up. He's a good NHL 4th liner too. He's just a victim of our neverending depth

PS : it would suck if Lawson was picked-up but it shouldn't happen as I think all teams have 2 NHL goalies right now?

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
I'm not sure Eugene will want to pay him $650k to play in Bingo, perhaps a buy out if he isn't claimed?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I'm not sure Eugene will want to pay him $650k to play in Bingo, perhaps a buy out if he isn't claimed?

There's an internal budget, but it hopefully took this scenario into account. Euge isn't that broke, especially when it comes to the best interest of the team's management of assets.

Berserker*

This is such an outrage. So much for the whole best players play thing. Eckford has been outstanding all preseason; he should be considered for top pairing minutes let alone just a roster spot. :sarcasm:

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I don't think he'll ever be an NHL regular.

He's not a bad player, he can be an effective 4th liner. The problem is he doesn't really excel at anything and teams are always going to want to fill his spot with a promising youngster that has the potential to be better then him.

I hope he gets a chance to stick somewhere.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
IIRC, a player picked up on waivers has to stay with the NHL club for a period of time. I think there's a chance that O'Brien gets picked up, but I see little to no chance that the others do. It's hard to see a team looking at Cowick right now and saying, "There's a guy we see on our opening night roster."

As Tim Murray is no doubt aware, the club is going to have to cycle out some of the older prospects to make room for new ones. If you hit age 24, which should be the prime of your career as a skater, and you can't crack an NHL lineup, you have officially gone from prospect to suspect. That's just the circle of life in pro sports. I feel badly for Cowick, a local kid who would absolutely kill for his NHL shot, but I just don't see it happening for him, Hoffman, or DaCosta for that matter...

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
If I had to take a guess at a pedantically specific chance of O'Brien being picked up on waivers, I'd say there's a 38% chance he gets claimed

In lawyer speak...... I'm of the opposite view. I'd say there's a 62% chance he won't get claimed. ;)

If he doesn't get picked up I wonder if the Sens are willing to put his one-way $$$ in Bingo. Given the choice, I'd do it, if it comes down to losing one of Hoffman, Da Costa or even DD to keep O'Brien in the NHL. IMO, it would be worth wasting the 650K.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Melnyk hoping he gets claimed. O'Brien makes NHL money regardless of NHL/AHL.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008

They can't. The buyout period was months ago.

They should have done it when they had the chance earlier this summer - due to his age he could have been bought out for only 1/3 of his salary. That's a lot less then they're going to pay him now.

Fingers crossed that somebody takes him, because the Sens have not been keen to put one-way deals in the minors on a long term basis.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I think the Senators organization knows JOB won't be claimed. This is a precaution to ensure that we can keep one of the other guys eligible for waivers. We will see JOB again in November, its inevitable that we lose bodies along the way

MusicTeacher

Mar 10, 2008
No ones getting claimed. All other teams need to assess their assets first. Do you want to be stuck starting JOB for the whole season? or Hoffman? Too many questions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad