Post-Game Talk: Jets win in OT 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
The thing with Connor imo.

All he does is score . He can’t play defence or make to many plays out of no where .

He just has a nose for the net .thats it

thags why he is struggling for so long. the only thing he has to get him out of a slump is a goal or two .

he doesn't hit and he cant play D.

he just needs a goal

Ehlers worked his way into some points with hard forechecks and back checks . Flying into guys and bouncing off. Forced himself into some good momentum.

Connor can’t do that
Why can't he? Because he chooses not to?

Reactions: Keystone

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
The only reason the Jets are in this race is because all the teams we are fighting with for the playoffs suck as much as the Jets do.
16 teams make the playoffs. Jets rank 14th in point %.

Jets are in the race because... well... their record is competitive enough to secure a wild card spot. They're pacing for 95 points, which is the typical mark for a playoff team.

To say the "only reason" we're in the playoff race is because other teams suck... like, hey... 16 teams make it. You're making a nonsense point.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Why can't he? Because he chooses not to?
I guess so .

I don’t see him bouncing off guys . Or throwing any checks . Or back checking fiercely . Doing all the other things right or everything he can at least .

Those are the types of things scorers need to do to not hurt the team during a slump. And eventually if you do enough good things the goals come back .

He’s just going to have to have one go in.

Reactions: hn777

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The thing with Connor imo.

All he does is score . He can’t play defence or make to many plays out of no where .

He just has a nose for the net .thats it

thags why he is struggling for so long. the only thing he has to get him out of a slump is a goal or two .

he doesn't hit and he cant play D.

he just needs a goal

Ehlers worked his way into some points with hard forechecks and back checks . Flying into guys and bouncing off. Forced himself into some good momentum.

Connor can’t do that

Not to disagree - entirely. But I think you overstate Connor's weaknesses. He does all of those things to some degree, just not as much or as well as everyone would like.

Orrrules

Mar 6, 2021
I guess so .

I don’t see him bouncing off guys . Or throwing any checks . Or back checking fiercely . Doing all the other things right or everything he can at least .

Those are the types of things scorers need to do to not hurt the team during a slump. And eventually if you do enough good things the goals come back .

He’s just going to have to have one go in.
Perimeter player.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Not to disagree - entirely. But I think you overstate Connor's weaknesses. He does all of those things to some degree, just not as much or as well as everyone would like.
I will slightly agree with you as well . All players do these things. I just don’t think Connor does any of them well enough to impact the game positively enough to gain confidence

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
As Mark Twain famously said: "Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable."

I think in this age of rapid consumption of content and novelty, people are creating more and bizarre statistical analysis that contradicts other analyses to the point of absurdity. Advanced stats essentially exist to advance a certain viewpoint or desired outcome when usually the most desired outcome is to create a statistic that other people will value and endorse so as to increase your own income or attention.

Many people will disagree and an argument ensues in which people proclaim their support for this or that statistic, thus achieving the objective of its creator.

And don't get me started on how little accuracy goes into the recording or compilation of so many statistics.
I have no interest in speaking for or against statistics but your parting shot brings back a couple of memories.

Back in the days when I lived with a BF and a PVR, he groused a couple of times about how shots are counted. (Yeah, I know, but he was an accountant. Still is.) Pretending to be interested, I sat with paper and pen and he replayed the first period of a few games and we counted the actual shots on the goalie. Didn't tally with the 'official number'. Sometimes the discrepancy was enough that we had to go back and repeat the counting (yeah, accountant) and confirm the recorded number was off by as many as 2 or 3 shots.

When I see all these TOI and %SV and WTF and whatever, I wonder if they're just as "pliable".

Reactions: GNP and Stumbledore

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
As Mark Twain famously said: "Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable."

I think in this age of rapid consumption of content and novelty, people are creating more and bizarre statistical analysis that contradicts other analyses to the point of absurdity. Advanced stats essentially exist to advance a certain viewpoint or desired outcome when usually the most desired outcome is to create a statistic that other people will value and endorse so as to increase your own income or attention.

Many people will disagree and an argument ensues in which people proclaim their support for this or that statistic, thus achieving the objective of its creator.

And don't get me started on how little accuracy goes into the recording or compilation of so many statistics.

Sure - but do you agree or disagree that the colours on the chart accurately reflected the game?

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

I think its pretty safe to say those stats matched the eye test from my point of view

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I will slightly agree with you as well . All players do these things. I just don’t think Connor does any of them well enough to impact the game positively enough to gain confidence

I think that when we see goals start to go in we will also see some other aspects of his game get better. Probably just the opposite of what you want from a slumping player, but confidence matters.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I think that when we see goals start to go in we will also see some other aspects of his game get better. Probably just the opposite of what you want from a slumping player, but confidence matters.
For sure. I agree with that too and goes back to my main point of just needing a goal or two .

Hopefully gets hot right before we “ maybe “ make the playoffs lol

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Honestly, I'm a cranky old man who doesn't bother looking.

Aww, go ahead. Just this once. :laugh:

I am not convinced that all of these fancy or advanced analytics have value either. But IMO that chart did accurately reflect the game I saw. Though I didn't think Dillon/Pionk were quite that bad, but I wasn't focusing in on them either.

• Haha
Reactions: Stumbledore

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I have no interest in speaking for or against statistics but your parting shot brings back a couple of memories.

Back in the days when I lived with a BF and a PVR, he groused a couple of times about how shots are counted. (Yeah, I know, but he was an accountant. Still is.) Pretending to be interested, I sat with paper and pen and he replayed the first period of a few games and we counted the actual shots on the goalie. Didn't tally with the 'official number'. Sometimes the discrepancy was enough that we had to go back and repeat the counting (yeah, accountant) and confirm the recorded number was off by as many as 2 or 3 shots.

When I see all these TOI and %SV and WTF and whatever, I wonder if they're just as "pliable".
You guys must have been fun at parties lol

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I think I was too much fun. That's what led to me moving out.

BTW, I have a sublet on a furnished place way up on Grant Avenue. I move in two weeks from today.
Too much fun? That sounds interesting. Care to share some more details?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Accountancy is a noble profession.

Reactions: Stumbledore

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013

Yeah I'm probably one of Connor's least fans but there's no question he does most of those other things to some extent

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad