Prospect Info: Jets Top Prospects Poll: #8 Prospect

Who is the Jets #8 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think his ceiling is pretty low compared to some of the guys still left. Not that they all have high ceilings either at this point but I dont see Gus as being any better than a 3rd liner. And even that is still a long shot.
He may be project as an offensive dynamo, but he may also be the best internal option for a long term 2C. Fingers crossed.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He is 22 - not 32.
Players peak at around 25. At 22 they are pretty close to being a finished product. If they can’t step into the NHL and play at 22 the chances of them ever being more than a bottom pair D or 4th line F is pretty low.

The possibility of a coach saying: "I’m not going to play him because he’s a rookie" aside. If a 22-year-old like Kovecevic is going be more than the replacement level depth D-man he need to show it in year 1 with the team. If he can’t play effectively at the NHL level right away it's doubtful he'll ever be more then a bottom of the roster player.
We're not sure about Poolman yet.
I’m reasonably comfortable saying Poolman will never be anything more then a 5/6/7 D.
He may be project as an offensive dynamo, but he may also be the best internal option for a long term 2C. Fingers crossed.
I don’t see him becoming a significantly better player than Lowry or Copp. If you are not happy with these guys in the #2 C spot you’re not going to be happy with Gustafsson either. Personally, I think you can get away with a player like this at the #2C spot when you have high-end talent on both wings, which we do.

Reactions: GumbyCan2

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Players peak at around 25. At 22 they are pretty close to being a finished product. If they can’t step into the NHL and play at 22 the chances of them ever being more than a bottom pair D or 4th line F is pretty low.

The possibility of a coach saying: "I’m not going to play him because he’s a rookie" aside. If a 22-year-old like Kovecevic is going be more than the replacement level depth D-man he need to show it in year 1 with the team. If he can’t play effectively at the NHL level right away it's doubtful he'll ever be more then a bottom of the roster player.

I’m reasonably comfortable saying Poolman will never be anything more then a 5/6/7 D.

I don’t see him becoming a significantly better player than Lowry or Copp. If you are not happy with these guys in the #2 C spot you’re not going to be happy with Gustafsson either. Personally, I think you can get away with a player like this at the #2C spot when you have high-end talent on both wings, which we do.

Very sobering post. If we are going to pay big bucks to complimentary wingers we won’t have the cash to add high end centre talent. This org is going to live and die by how good Guys like Connor and Laine get at driving lines. You can’t build a championship team around scoring wingers waiting to be serviced who can’t carry lesser talent.

Reactions: Duke749

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

On avg, players peak around 25. Not all players are avg. 22 is still 3 years short of 25. Kovacevic may very well be ready to step in now, but there are other players he has to beat out for a job. I doubt they put him in the press box in his first year.

Agree about Poolman but we haven't seen him in the NHL in a while so we don't know how much he may have improved. He may be more the #5 now instead of the #7 he was when we last saw him. He just might be a #4.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think his ceiling is pretty low compared to some of the guys still left. Not that they all have high ceilings either at this point but I dont see Gus as being any better than a 3rd liner. And even that is still a long shot.

I think he has second line upside but not a high probability of hitting it.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Very sobering post. If we are going to pay big bucks to complimentary wingers we won’t have the cash to add high end centre talent. This org is going to live and die by how good Guys like Connor and Laine get at driving lines. You can’t build a championship team around scoring wingers waiting to be serviced who can’t carry lesser talent.

The sobering part is that we got beat by a team that had O'Reilly, Sundqvist, Bozak, and Barbashev up the middle. Would have given the Jets a clear advantage up the middle going into that one. Tide turned when Perron moved up the lineup, and Schenn moved into the middle. We also got beat by a team that had Karlsson, Haula, Eakin and Bellemare as pivots (vs. Scheifele, Stastny, Little, Lowry.) There's a lot more at play than talent up the middle. Goaltending is the backbone of playoff success. Structure is also a key, the Jets d for all their talent has been broken down, by attacking their weakness, some of which is aggressiveness, leaving lanes on pinches, some forward play in their own end. I think work ethic is underrated. Playoffs are a grind, and being able to wear down your opponent is necessary. To me looks like speed is the asset we are relying on the most, and I don't mind that approach. Clean breakouts that generate speed are fundamental to our success. Execution on special teams is also key. We definitely need more wrinkles in our PP. And better puck pressure on the PK.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The sobering part is that we got beat by a team that had O'Reilly, Sundqvist, Bozak, and Barbashev up the middle. Would have given the Jets a clear advantage up the middle going into that one. Tide turned when Perron moved up the lineup, and Schenn moved into the middle. We also got beat by a team that had Karlsson, Haula, Eakin and Bellemare as pivots (vs. Scheifele, Stastny, Little, Lowry.) There's a lot more at play than talent up the middle. Goaltending is the backbone of playoff success. Structure is also a key, the Jets d for all their talent has been broken down, by attacking their weakness, some of which is aggressiveness, leaving lanes on pinches, some forward play in their own end. I think work ethic is underrated. Playoffs are a grind, and being able to wear down your opponent is necessary. To me looks like speed is the asset we are relying on the most, and I don't mind that approach. Clean breakouts that generate speed are fundamental to our success. Execution on special teams is also key. We definitely need more wrinkles in our PP. And better puck pressure on the PK.
ROR was far superior to Scheifele last year and the whole top 6 was set up to fail. I love Lowry and Copp as depth centres though.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
ROR was far superior to Scheifele last year and the whole top 6 was set up to fail. I love Lowry and Copp as depth centres though.

I also thought O'Reilly was superior, but the scoresheet wasn't where he made his mark. It was Schwartz, Perron, Sundqvist, Bozak that scored the biggest goals. I think our defense was our biggest weakness. Latter part we are in full agreement. Wrong thread anyways, my apologies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
He is 22 - not 32. Or not even 24 like Poolman and Tanev were. Even at that, Tanev seemed to manage to improve. We're not sure about Poolman yet.
Injury bug keeps setting Poolman back and then always playing to catch, regain some previous'gain'. If he stays healthy, lots of potential opportunity right in front of him this season! I think he can grow and improve quickly this year, be a possible main-stay. Mainly stay healthy, 1st and foremost. He has the size, strength, shot and some decent skills for a defender. Just been buried, hidden, recovering from injury too often for 'them to shine.'

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny

My thoughts equalled. Give Copper a trial run early with KConnor on left and Roslo on his right. Then, Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers, and Perreault-Little-Wheeler. 4th could be Centered by Lowry and whoever Rookies step up on the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad