Prospect Info: Jets Top Prospects Poll: #7 Prospect

Who is the Jets #7 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He’s a great prospect, always was. He will spend the next year or two playing big AHL minutes and then he should ready for the show.
Yeah, no need to rush him. He has all the athletic ability so give him all the time he needs to make sure his positioning and structure is where it needs to be before brining him up.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Hellebuyck was passed over his first year of eligibility then spent 2 years in the NCAA. He didn’t play in the AHL until his D+4 year.

Right you are. Then I am comparing Berdin's D+3 to Helle's D+4. Looks even better for Berdin. Both also did well in the 2 preceding years but I wanted to highlight same league play.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Berdin is an exciting prospect. Goalies are an odd bunch but it’s nice to have him in our mix. That thoughts of having an NHL goalie that is a plus puck mover one day is appealing. Time will tell I guess but he is not boring.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Berdin is an exciting prospect. Goalies are an odd bunch but it’s nice to have him in our mix. That thoughts of having an NHL goalie that is a plus puck mover one day is appealing. Time will tell I guess but he is not boring.
Wow that hurts :nod: :D

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I feel like Suess is a forgotten man right now because he got hurt. He was playing pretty good until then. I just realized he's too old for this list anyway but I think he is a guy that will be on the opening day roster as @Whileee suggests.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I am not sure I understand that logic. The Swedish Elite League is weaker in talent than the AHL. I was watching some Jets Prospects videos on You Tube, and nothing in Gustafsson's game stands out to me. Good positioning is his strength from what I can tell. I think he is a development option to replace Lowry, if we lose him. But I honestly would not rank him ahead of Mc Kenzie, who came from the powerhouse Winterhawks program. Then there is Kovacevic. As for Smith, I don't know how to judge the USHL but our amateur scouts are certainly scouring it for talent.
I don't know what rationale you're struggling with, but it is far harder for an 18 year old to score in a men's league than it is for a 20 year old to score against a bunch of teenagers.

We know that players who score like Gus have been more successful on average than players like McKenzie and Smith - far more successful.

McKenzie is in the same class of prospect as DeLeo, Lipon and probably a bit behind Kosmachuk. Good picks, there is some upside, but he's a long shot.

Smith is below that. He's got some physical skills, but he's clearly never put it all together.

I'm excited for Gus to come over and get placed in a more offensive role. He's done well in a men's league at 17 and 18. That doesn't come easily.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't know what rationale you're struggling with, but it is far harder for an 18 year old to score in a men's league than it is for a 20 year old to score against a bunch of teenagers.

We know that players who score like Gus have been more successful on average than players like McKenzie and Smith - far more successful.

McKenzie is in the same class of prospect as DeLeo, Lipon and probably a bit behind Kosmachuk. Good picks, there is some upside, but he's a long shot.

Smith is below that. He's got some physical skills, but he's clearly never put it all together.

I'm excited for Gus to come over and get placed in a more offensive role. He's done well in a men's league at 17 and 18. That doesn't come easily.
I didn't catch if he's coming to the AHL for sure? That would be a good move for him to get different looks for sure.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'm a big fan, but all goalies are longer shots IMO. I have him in the next tier after Gus.

I still don't see Gus. He could turn out well of course. But he is a very long shot right now. I've read the reports of his strengths, but he needs to score more before he becomes an NHL prospect.

I have Berdin at #6, the bottom of a tier. The next tier down has Gus, Stanley and Kovacevic, in any order. JMO

But I remain surprised that Berdin didn't get more support in this poll - even though he is a goalie and therefore harder to predict.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I still don't see Gus. He could turn out well of course. But he is a very long shot right now. I've read the reports of his strengths, but he needs to score more before he becomes an NHL prospect.

I have Berdin at #6, the bottom of a tier. The next tier down has Gus, Stanley and Kovacevic, in any order. JMO

But I remain surprised that Berdin didn't get more support in this poll - even though he is a goalie and therefore harder to predict.
Gus' age and league adjusted scoring is far better than every left on this list.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Gus' age and league adjusted scoring is far better than every left on this list.

Not sure about the league adjustment. 2 goals in 36 games is underwhelming in any league.

He might take a big step forward this year with a different role. I'm waiting to see it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Not sure about the league adjustment. 2 goals in 36 games is underwhelming in any league.

He might take a big step forward this year with a different role. I'm waiting to see it.
Are we living in a world where assists don't matter? His production was fine and his shooting percentage will regress up from 4.4%.

Scoring this year was on par with Gundstrom and ahead of Asplund. His U18 scoring was ahead of Vesalainen, Kempe and a pile more. Not really worried about the offense.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

That's fine, but Gustafsson didn't exactly light up a league that I still submit is weaker than the AHL, and especially so because of the bigger ice. I don't see how he places ahead of Suess right now. Spacek? Next year we might have some hope for Gustafsson, but right now he is just a middle of the road prospect, in my mind. And that's where it becomes take your pick.

I'll stick with McKenzie who grew playing with top players, than Gustafsson. I think draft position has a lot to do with the prejudice. That and we are going to need centres soon, which is why is he was drafted, according to Randy Hillier.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Are we living in a world where assists don't matter? His production was fine and his shooting percentage will regress up from 4.4%.

Scoring this year was on par with Gundstrom and ahead of Asplund. His U18 scoring was ahead of Vesalainen, Kempe and a pile more. Not really worried about the offense.

Fair enough - but I will just continue to wait and see.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I voted for Gus. I think he gets underrated around here. Guy has potential to be a good pro. I thought he was solid at the World juniors and I would expect him to get a bigger role there this year

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I'm a big fan, but all goalies are longer shots IMO. I have him in the next tier after Gus.
I agree, that’s why I have him at the very bottom of the prospects I’m excited about. When you get down to prospects like Gustafsson, Stanely and Kovacevic the fact that there is less uncertainty stops working in their favor because while they are trending towards being NHL players, they are trending towards being easily replicable NHL players near the bottom of the roster. More uncertainty would actually mean there is a greater chance they become an important player down the road.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Not high enough for me to see him as a likely top-6 forward. The most likely outcome for him is to be a relatively low scoring defensively responsible bottom 6 Center. This type of player is too easily replaced for me to assign a lot of value to. A goaltender trending towards being a good starter, even with the uncertainty involved with goaltending, has more value because there is a higher likelihood of becoming a player that can be difficult to obtain.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad