Rumor: Jets to play in the "Canadian Division" during pandemic

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
In terms of a possible order finish, I think depth and goaltending play a big role.

Habs
Flames
Jets
Leafs
——————
Canucks
Oilers
Sens

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I think some really good rivalries would develop out of an all Canadian division. Would miss getting to watch them in Vegas, LA and Anaheim.

Nucks
Jets
Leafs
Flames
Oilers
Habs
Sens

Reactions: Ginger Papa

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Rumours that have been out for next season:
Foley with Canadian division.
Limited number of bubble cities where teams fly into for two weeks, play a number of games, then go home.
Potential limited arena attendance. Melynyk rumoured to have said he has plans for a 5000 seat layout for games.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Limited number of bubble cities where teams fly into for two weeks, play a number of games, then go home.
Potential limited arena attendance. Melynyk rumoured to have said he has plans for a 5000 seat layout for games.
So basically it's business as usual in Ottawa... :sarcasm:

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Just give them all Trump's magical medicine and you don't have to quarantine for 14 days... :sarcasm:

I think a Canadian league will be fun. Lots of great players to enjoy, cool rivalries, except the Toronto media will become even more annoying...

CanWin

What happens now?
Mar 7, 2014
Winnerpeg
Hockey Night in Canada! The phrase would take on new meaning again, maybe very night. More people would watch all the games because the teams are all in their division. The U.S. would be on their own though. Good thing Tampa Bay just won the cup and Lafreniere went to New York.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Actually, if the Canadian TV ratings are really high, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it permanent. Although, that would mean 7 teams in the Canadian division while one division in the US had 9.

Unless one of those teams *coughArizonacough* moves to Quebec :naughty:

Last edited:

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
They had a Canadian Division in the WHA one year, 1974-75. That was the only season the Jets missed the playoffs. Just looking, it was Quebec, Toronto, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Edmonton. The top two in each of three divisions made it, plus two wild card teams, which ended up both coming from the West Division. So despite Bobby Hull's 50-in-50 and 77 goals in total season, they were eliminated.

I'm guessing that the NHL doesn't mind being "forced" to try this idea out for one year. It adds a lot of definiteness for U.S. TV in terms of how many U.S. teams there will be, eliminates the chance of an all-Canadian final ratings dud, etc. Plus it has corresponding benefits for Canadian TV.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I wonder if there might be one or more American teams that might consider "relocation" to a Canadian city if their local conditions are particularly difficult.

2 good dressing rooms an ice sheet and media facilities is pretty much all the arena you need for no fans hockey, right? The Saskatoon Panthers vs the Hamilton Predators?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Actually, if the Canadian TV ratings are really high, I wouldn't be surprised if they made it permanent. Although, that would mean 7 teams in the Canadian division while one division in the US had 9.

Unless one of those teams *coughArizonacough* moves to Quebec :naughty:

4 time zones so it ain't happening

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Do you really believe Demelo, Forbert who and rookies are going to fix one of the worst defenses in NHL last season? Demelo helps, but Fortbert and rookies aren't tipping the scale much. Samberg and Heinola will both need time to have a bigger impact
Yes.

Considering our key injuries and d turnover I do expect this group to perform much better.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am not in the least surprised by this...

U.S. Covid numbers will not decrease until there is widespread availability... and more importantly acceptance of vaccination in the U.S. ... this is merely a pipe dream until at least June 21' or further along... and with many people that do not understand vaccines... maybe impossible...

Juthin' Trudeau will not open the border ongoing for any sports league... Bubble Cities excluded...

I assumed all along this is how the league would play out the next "reduced" regular season... holding out for vaccines...

When this does happen I see the following happening...

I see the Canucks placing first in the Canadian division, 2nd the Habs... Jets, Flames and Sens fighting for 3rd and 4th.... Toronto behind closely to that group and the Oilers... well Coiling...

I am not sure how the league will balance out one playoff representative geographically to satisfy the centers of the Universe... Toronto and Montreal... no guarantee either makes it as one of the top 2 Canadian teams...

Do we see a hub mini-tournament with the two top Western teams & top to Eastern teams and a Wildcard play... ? What will satisfy Cable viewership, Ad money payers, NHLPA, NHL H.O. , Canadian Big Market Cable Co's... that is more uncertain than an all-Canadian Division, which I thought was almost a Duhhhhh... obvious solution...

We shall see hopefully in early January...

We should call it the "Hoser Division" in honor of Canadian Icons... Doug & Bob...

giphy.gif

:popcorn:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I see the Canucks placing first in the Canadian division, 2nd the Habs... Jets, Flames and Sens fighting for 3rd and 4th.... Toronto behind closely to that group and the Oilers... well Coiling...

:popcorn:

i disagree.
Leafs will have the most favourable travel schedule and they're a solid team.
Leafs
Nucks
Flambs
Jets
Oil
Sens

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad