Rumor: Jets to play in the "Canadian Division" during pandemic

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yeah that's been proposed for awhile now. All the Canadian teams will play in one division and then presumably everyone will go back in the bubble for playoffs.

Reactions: Halberdier

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I guess that's how they'll get around the closed border.

Yeah which means we will face off against all the Canadien teams probably 5 or 6 times or so. There was a proposal for double or triple headers as well to ease up on the travel more.

Reactions: Jets 31

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
Can't wait to beat on Toronto 6 or 7 times. :nod:

ownerfistpump.gif

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
This Canadian division is an awesome idea. Get to play our Western Smythe Division foes more often. I think there would be more TV viewership with a Canadian division, and back to backs make the games a little more intense too.

Strange how many players we will need to cross the border though to start the season. I wonder what happens for the A, there's only have 4 Canadian AHL franchises. And we are not near any of them.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah which means we will face off against all the Canadien teams probably 5 or 6 times or so. There was a proposal for double or triple headers as well to ease up on the travel more.

I was figuring that they would have to go with more of an AHL type of schedule where you stay in once city for a number of days and play the same team 2 to 3 times. I mean you could theoretically have the team on the road for 2 weeks and play Edmonton and Calgary 6 to 7 times before coming back home.

Reactions: Inshallah

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Canadian division? How’s that going to work
Jets can’t just play the Canadian teams exclusively for the season

RetroWinnipeg

Oct 27, 2016
www.youtube.com
This Canadian division is an awesome idea. Get to play our Western Smythe Division foes more often. I think there would be more TV viewership with a Canadian division, and back to backs make the games a little more intense too.

Strange how many players we will need to cross the border though to start the season. I wonder what happens for the A, there's only have 4 Canadian AHL franchises. And we are not near any of them.

If no fans, I'd except a CFL-style cancellation for the AHL.

Reactions: robertocarlos

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If no fans, I'd except a CFL-style cancellation for the AHL.

I think that's likely. I just don't see how they can generate any revenue without fans, and no television revenues.

So then the NHL probably allows for another 31 player roster, which allows teams to use different players.

I was trying to figure who Jets would carry if we go with 31. I'm going to assume that Roslovic is getting traded, because I think Claude Lemieux will get his clients out of Winnipeg, so I'll say that there is a top 4 LD that comes back for him.

So something like

Hellebuyck
Brossoit
Comrie

Morrissey
De Melo
Pionk
Defenseman X
Forbort
Poolman
Beaulieu
Sbisa
Samberg
Kovacevic
Stanley
Nogier

Wheeler
Scheifele
Connor
Laine
Stastny
Ehlers
Copp
Lowry
Harkins
Appleton
Thompson
Perreault?
Toninato
Gustafsson
Suess
Vesalainen
(Reichel)

Leaves Chisholm and Mc Kenzie out for signed players in North America

Players like Berdin, Gawanke, Luoto and Holm could stay on their respective teams in Europe, unless needed as callups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad