Rumor: Jets to play in the "Canadian Division" during pandemic

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
i disagree.
Leafs will have the most favourable travel schedule and they're a solid team.
Leafs
Nucks
Flambs
Jets
Oil
Sens

Depends how the leagure structures the games... back to backs I assume... by time zone... and to limit exactly what you pointed out... I expect the other Canadian teams to demand balance...

Also... it's Toronto... you can disagree, but Toronto trailing us... trailing any team... really is agreeable to Me...

And oh... I still don't think they have addressed their issues, nor will it progress maturity in their team... just My take... it's what's between their young-star's ears that is the challenge... not easily fixed...

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Yes.

Considering our key injuries and d turnover I do expect this group to perform much better.
I guess you're more optimistic than I am then. Obviously we are in a better situation than a year ago, but I just don't see the current additions improving the defense that gave up the most high danger scoring changes in nhl, to even an average level.

JetsNut

Jan 28, 2015
If they decide to hold a regular season to empty arenas then it will be purely a business development/damage control scenario. They may be willing to list money doing this as to not have too many casual fans drift away from the game. Especially in some of those southern markets. No way in hell that TV revenue puts them any where near the black!

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The MJHL has few situations where one team encounters more than one or two at a time. A sample schedule for a segment of the NHL would be:

Fri-Sat Vancouver at Edmonton
Fri-Sat Toronto at Calgary
Tue-Wed Toronto at Edmonton
Tue-Wed Vancouver at Calgary

Meanwhile ...

Fri Winnipeg at Montreal
Sat Winnipeg at Ottawa
Sun Montreal at Ottawa
Mon Winnipeg at Montreal
Tue Winnipeg at Ottawa
Wed Ottawa at Montreal

The teams would then start again with something similar on Saturday, allowing a few days for no contact with anybody.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
That’s exactly why it will happen.
We live in crazy times.:eek:
The Jets don’t play Montreal, Ottawa or Calgary particularly well either.
I hope we don’t have to go this route.

You know why, eh? It's cause we got so many Americans on our roster. When they don't get that patriotic boost to their system from hearing their national anthem before the game, they just aren't going to be in top form. That's my hypothesis, I'm sticking to it. :nod:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
You know why, eh? It's cause we got so many Americans on our roster. When they don't get that patriotic boost to their system from hearing their national anthem before the game, they just aren't going to be in top form. That's my hypothesis, I'm sticking to it. :nod:
Unless we play Vancouver 48 times... sorry @Ginger Papa :naughty:
We seem to play well against them.
Edmonton too I suppose.
Toronto evenly.
But the other 3 dunno our kryptonite.

Edmonton needs goaltending I feel.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Edmonton too I suppose.
Toronto evenly.

40589F19-3DFC-4DC1-85FF-C1EA4FDB2084.png
269EBDF6-31FA-47E0-B9C0-FD6AA064CF8B.gif

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Edmonton too I suppose.
Toronto evenly.

To be honest i think all the Canadian teams are pretty good, don't know about Ottawa, but there won't be many easy games.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Depends how the leagure structures the games... back to backs I assume... by time zone... and to limit exactly what you pointed out... I expect the other Canadian teams to demand balance...

Also... it's Toronto... you can disagree, but Toronto trailing us... trailing any team... really is agreeable to Me...

And oh... I still don't think they have addressed their issues, nor will it progress maturity in their team... just My take... it's what's between their young-star's ears that is the challenge... not easily fixed...
having Joe Thorton as your 4th line C is probably >>> than having Thompson.
the Leafs' biggest holes would be their D and their (playoff) goaltending. they didn't address the latter, which i find interesting. their D was upgraded by signing Brodie.

who would you rather have?
Reilly
Brodie
Muzzin
Lehtonen

or

Demelo
Morrissey
Pionk
Forbort (or Poolman)

i'd argue that the leafs' top have the edge. Reilly's better than our top D. our 2nd and 3rd D are better than theirs. Lehtonen's a wild card. Forbort is...well, he shouldn't be a top 4 D-man, ever. neither should Poolman

Reactions: Gm0ney and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
the Leafs' biggest holes would be their D and their (playoff) goaltending. they didn't address the latter, which i find interesting. their D was upgraded by signing Brodie.

Reilly
Brodie
Muzzin
Lehtonen

or

Demelo
Morrissey
Pionk
Forbort (or Poolman)

i'd argue that the leafs' top have the edge. Reilly's better than our top D. our 2nd and 3rd D are better than theirs. Lehtonen's a wild card. Forbort is...well, he shouldn't be a top 4 D-man, ever. neither should Poolman
We are very lucky to have Helly , he's our best defenseman. :laugh:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
That’s exactly why it will happen.
We live in crazy times.:eek:
The Jets don’t play Montreal, Ottawa or Calgary particularly well either.
I hope we don’t have to go this route.

The Jets would've been first or second last season in an all Canadian division.

Reactions: Inshallah

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I'm talking about Canadian teams records against other Canadian teams. The Jets went 8-3 against Canadian teams last season.
Oh my bad
For 48 I believe it would be different
I hate Montreal and Ottawa games :laugh:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Reilly
Brodie
Muzzin
Lehtonen

or

Demelo
Morrissey
Pionk
Forbort (or Poolman)

The Leafs must have read My post... re: "between the ears"

Joe T. is a passionate hockey player... a rock... God help the kids who don't follow his lead... He changes things "In the Room"...

Brodie is a nice addition and does add to the Leafs back end...

I would agree with you... our last conversation was without these additions and these are great pickups...

The Leafs are now solidly in the playoff discussion...

Re: "which would you rather have"...

I am excited about Sandheim and Heinola coming on board... you did not list them... and I think you are underestimating a healthy Forbort's role and ability... as long as he is completely healthy... a flier move by Chevy for sure...

Outside of Reilly... and I agree he is better than every Jets D'... but our guys have upside... I would rather have our group... young ... with upside and salary flexibility and control...

The Jets forward cohort I think is as talented as the Leafs and definitely more seasoned... but unfortunately saddled with old school systems and predictable and passive special teams...

Reality is a bitch... Toronto is in win now mode... the Jets are re-tooling for the long term while avoiding crippling cap issues...

The Leafs are not Stanley Cup material yet... last years implosion was due to youthful arrogance I am certain... and there is no certainty that it won't repeat again...

The Jets have made good moves to prepare for the future.... and I think Chevy still has "something" pending...

The Leafs are improved with their moves... doesn't make them All World...

Besides I still hold to My prejudice... Jets or any other team above the Leafs is a great thing in My world...

I am looking forward to the restart of the NHL... intriguing plot lines...

:popcorn:

Reactions: HannuJ and ps241

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
The Leafs must have read My post... re: "between the ears"

Joe T. is a passionate hockey player... a rock... God help the kids who don't follow his lead... He changes things "In the Room"...

Brodie is a nice addition and does add to the Leafs back end...

I would agree with you... our last conversation was without these additions and these are great pickups...

The Leafs are now solidly in the playoff discussion...

Re: "which would you rather have"...

I am excited about Sandheim and Heinola coming on board... you did not list them... and I think you are underestimating a healthy Forbort's role and ability... as long as he is completely healthy... a flier move by Chevy for sure...

Outside of Reilly... and I agree he is better than every Jets D'... but our guys have upside... I would rather have our group... young ... with upside and salary flexibility and control...

The Jets forward cohort I think is as talented as the Leafs and definitely more seasoned... but unfortunately saddled with old school systems and predictable and passive special teams...

Reality is a bitch... Toronto is in win now mode... the Jets are re-tooling for the long term while avoiding crippling cap issues...

The Leafs are not Stanley Cup material yet... last years implosion was due to youthful arrogance I am certain... and there is no certainty that it won't repeat again...

The Jets have made good moves to prepare for the future.... and I think Chevy still has "something" pending...

The Leafs are improved with their moves... doesn't make them All World...

Besides I still hold to My prejudice... Jets or any other team above the Leafs is a great thing in My world...

I am looking forward to the restart of the NHL... intriguing plot lines...

:popcorn:
while i think the Tavares signing was a waste of cap space, i would argue that the Leafs' forwards get a solid A in my books. Jets would be an A- to B+. leafs are pretty f'ing deep with lots of talented, unlikeable players. very unlikeable.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

Reilly
Brodie
Muzzin
Lehtonen

or

Demelo
Morrissey
Pionk
Forbort (or Poolman)

Leafs have the star power. But not the will power. Perpetually their problem. And as you said goaltending. Thornton is probably not their 4th line centre. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the 3c, with Nick Robertson on his wing, and Kerfoot moves up to the top 6 to replace Johnsson. If the Leafs have Thornton and Spezza as their bottom line centres, that's easily the slowest centres in the league at the bottom of a lineup. They would have a hard time keeping up with Lowry and Gustafsson, if we went that way. So then it's Matthews vs. Scheifele, and Tavares vs. Stastny, with our top 6 wingers having an edge. Robertson might tilt things if he climbs up the lineup.

Defense they have the edge. Reilly is a true #1, Muzzin and Brodie are probably better than Pionk and De Melo, though not by a substantial margin. Samberg or Heinola as it stands are our best hope for a top 4 addition. Lehtonen's exactly that, a wild card, having not played a single game on North American ice yet. If he doesn't make the top 4, the Leafs are relying on one of Holl (who is a lot like Poolman), Dermott, or Bogosian (who might not be so effective without Hedman) as their top 4 options. I don't feel like there is a tremendous amount of difference between Dermott-Holl and Beaulieu-Poolman per se.

Leafs are probably still better on paper.

I have been ranking Ottawa at the bottom but quietly they have some good players in their lineup. If Stuetzle starts with them they could have a pretty good top young top 9, that might skate a lot of teams hard. Chabot is up there for top d-men. Brannstrom is coming up the ranks. Just solved their goaltending problems. Might not be this year, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they passed a couple of Canadian teams.

DRC

WestJet
Feb 23, 2015
Vancouver Island
I wonder if our playing style changes due to different advisories being played so frequently. I just remembered we have PoMo at the helm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad