Pre-Game Talk: Jets & Stars • Home and Home • Tue, Dec 3 & Thu, Dec 5

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
JetsStarsHomeAndHome.png

Results of our 2 previous meetings this season...
Nov 10 vs Dallas: WPG 3, DAL 2 (OT)
Nov 21 @ Dallas: DAL 5, WPG 3

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The currently in vogue expression home and home is a personal pet peeve. It should still be called a home and away. We're talking about our team. The Jets will play one game at home and another game on the road against Dallas. How would you describe it if the Jets had two straight games at home against a team? Would that be a home and another home? A home and home again? No, those would sound silly. That's what home and home should be used for. This is a home and away series. On this matter, my mind is made up. :nod:

Reactions: jefferoni

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
The currently in vogue expression home and home is a personal pet peeve. It should still be called a home and away. We're talking about our team. The Jets will play one game at home and another game on the road against Dallas. How would you describe it if the Jets had two straight games at home against a team? Would that be a home and another home? A home and home again? No, those would sound silly. That's what home and home should be used for. This is a home and away series. On this matter, my mind is made up. :nod:
Feel free to discuss your personal pet peeve with either Merriam or Webster... ;)
Definition of HOME-AND-HOME

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
This , i would like a sweep of H&H

To show the Dallas pretenders who's still the boss.

They can win all the paper rock scissors all they want......

Reactions: Jets 31

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Jets - Stars games are always fun to watch. It would be fun if Scheifele laid out Benn in the final minutes and then went on to score the game winner. Too bad that it’s as unlikely as Laine opting to shoot instead of passing in the slot nowadays :laugh:

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Pfft. I refuse to have my language use dictated by trend-enslaved Americans. I grew up with the expression home and away. If it was good enough for us back then, it's good enough for us now.

Since you've already shown ("my mind is made up", "I refuse to have") that you're incapable of receiving any input which disrupts your pre-established limitations, I assume it's a waste of time to suggest you look up the phrase in the three leading dictionaries published in England.

You know, where English originated.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I'm predicting we lose both of these.

Now watch as we win both :nod: :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Since you've already shown ("my mind is made up", "I refuse to have") that you're incapable of receiving any input which disrupts your pre-established limitations, I assume it's a waste of time to suggest you look up the phrase in the three leading dictionaries published in England.

You know, where English originated.

You said one thing that was correct. I shall not kowtow to the wishes of trend-enslaved Brits either. You know, instead of these appeals to authority, why not try coming up with a cogent counter-argument to my line of reasoning? To wit, we are discussing the Jets, and the Jets are playing one game at home and one game away against Dallas. Ergo, ipso facto, it is as it has always been, a home and away series from the perspective of the Jets and their fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad