Confirmed with Link: Jets star Slapped with B.C. Suit (Kane)

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Ah the Americanization of Canadian legal proceedings. A law firm that specializes in personal injury. Great, I wonder if they advertize on late night tv?

Some BC firms do advertise on late night TV. Just pvr global Vancouver.around 12 our time

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
The fact that "loser pays" tends to discourage the most frivolous suits.

Agreed, I was reading on the Court of the Queen's Bench website a case that went to trial where the plaintiff tried to argue that MPI should cover his deductible because, as the plaintiff claimed, the tree branch that fell on his car constituted "Wildlife".

Needless to say, when you're "loosely" quoting Wikipedia in a Court of Law, you're probably not making a solid case.

The judge slapped him with a $100 penalty, plus court fees.

You can't really stop idiots from wasting everyone's time, but at least we in Canada have the good sense to punish them for being so dumb.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
19638_479878705507_3911217_n.jpg

Picture of the "victim."

Oh jeeze, Russian hoody and what appears to be either a St.Louis or Philadelphia cap

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Guilty or not... right or wrong... some of it his fault or some of it not....regardless.. Kane has been a distraction. Just needs to learn to keep his name out of the paper for non-hockey things... unless its for something positive.

Same happened to Lucic, but nobody in his fanbase is calling him a distraction. This situation could happen to anybody, there are always idiots in night clubs/bars looking for fights. It just happens that Kane is a "celebrity" so it gets media coverage. Doesn't mean that he can't go out and have fun like everybody else.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I'm pretty sure Kane is the guy telling the truth here.

Point number one, Kane admits to punching the guy out, the other dude claims he was just standing there innocently when Kane came and kicked his ass. As a father of three and the son of a police officer of 35 years...and most importantly...an avid fan of crime shows, the person that is claiming no wrong doing...is usually the guilty one.

Point number two. In the province of BC, the police cannot decide to not lay charges. They have to lay charges, and the Crown Prosecutor has to decide whether or not to purse legal action. I know this because I got into a scrap outside the Carlton club in Victoria, and this is what I was told. The fact that the guy had no marks or anything on his face, which is considered evidence, tells me that the Crown thought he was full of crap and decided not go forward. i have a hard time believing that Kane somehow managed to give him all that trauma, yet not leave enough marks for the authorities to take it seriously.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I'm just curious when that picture of him in the Russia jacket was taken. He certainly isn't looking all that distraught at that moment.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Same happened to Lucic, but nobody in his fanbase is calling him a distraction. This situation could happen to anybody, there are always idiots in night clubs/bars looking for fights. It just happens that Kane is a "celebrity" so it gets media coverage. Doesn't mean that he can't go out and have fun like everybody else.

This is so true. In fact in my younger and much more stupid days I once got into the sauce and started mouthing off to Chris Walby of all people in a bar. What an idiot I was. Of course Walby ignored me and I lived as a result but I wouldn't have blamed him for doing something because I was being such a jerk. Some people see a professional athlete with a reputation for toughness and want to prove something so they act up. In my case I stupidly chose an ex offensive lineman from the CFL and luckily for me he at that stage of life was more mature than Kane and showed remarkable restraint. From Kane's version of events it sounds like he gave this guy plenty of chance to walk away but the ******* persisted.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I'm pretty sure Kane is the guy telling the truth here.

Point number one, Kane admits to punching the guy out, the other dude claims he was just standing there innocently when Kane came and kicked his ass. As a father of three and the son of a police officer of 35 years...and most importantly...an avid fan of crime shows, the person that is claiming no wrong doing...is usually the guilty one.

:laugh:

Point number two. In the province of BC, the police cannot decide to not lay charges. They have to lay charges, and the Crown Prosecutor has to decide whether or not to purse legal action. I know this because I got into a scrap outside the Carlton club in Victoria, and this is what I was told. The fact that the guy had no marks or anything on his face, which is considered evidence, tells me that the Crown thought he was full of crap and decided not go forward. i have a hard time believing that Kane somehow managed to give him all that trauma, yet not leave enough marks for the authorities to take it seriously.

You've got it half right, but unfortunatly half wrong as well.

In BC (and only in BC, Manitoba is different) the police do not lay charges at all. They can decide to recommend charges to the Crown (a system called charge approval), or of course they can decide not to recommend any charges. The Crown then decides whether to follow the recommendation or not.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
:laugh:

You've got it half right, but unfortunatly half wrong as well.

In BC (and only in BC, Manitoba is different) the police do not lay charges at all. They can decide to recommend charges to the Crown (a system called charge approval), or of course they can decide not to recommend any charges. The Crown then decides whether to follow the recommendation or not.

Ah ok. that makes sense. i'll believe you because you happen to be the lawyer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad