Confirmed with Link: Jets star Slapped with B.C. Suit (Kane)

MrGrinch

Jul 27, 2011

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I'm having a difficult time imagining Kane just randomly jumping someone on the street :laugh:

Besides, if Kane really wanted to jump him I doubt the police wouldn't be able to find enough evidence to place charges. This is the guy who knocked out Matt Cooke in a single punch.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Googled the "victim" and I guess that is how they do things in Moscow. In Canada......not so much.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The Free Press has learned Vancouver police previously investigated Makievsky's version of events and ultimately took no action against Kane, who was born in B.C. and spends much of his off-season there.

"We did investigate allegations of an assault on that day and at that location, but given the circumstances of the incident there were no arrests made and there was insufficient evidence to support or recommend any criminal charges," Const. Brian Montague told the Free Press on Wednesday. "From our perspective, the matter is considered closed."

He'll get his day in court, obviously, but it sounds like a frivolous private suit to me. :(

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
"The assault and battery upon the complainant by the defendant was unprovoked and premeditated," the lawsuit reads. "The conduct of the defendant was callous, disgraceful, outrageous, extreme, malicious, offensive, reprehensible and represented a marked departure from ordinary standards of reasonable behaviour."

That sounds exactly like Jackie, the lawyer from Seinfeld.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
He'll get his day in court, obviously, but it sounds like a frivolous private suit to me. :(

He may not even get a day in court. If I were the judge, I'd laugh and toss the suit out. When the police department doesn't find enough evidence to file charges, it usually means a civil suit will get tossed as well. Depending on the jury if it even gets to court. The fact that this is in the Supreme Court of BC means that he's already exhausted almost all he can in BC. I highly doubt Kane will even see court. He can counter sue for defamation of character or another similar counter.

This isn't merica people. :shakehead

Derfel*

The guy is clearly hoping Kane will settle out of court. There was indeed a fight of sorts, and the guy might be thinking Kane will throw him some cash to end it quickly. I hope Kane doesn't do anything of the sort.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
The guy is clearly hoping Kane will settle out of court. There was indeed a fight of sorts, and the guy might be thinking Kane will throw him some cash to end it quickly. I hope Kane doesn't do anything of the sort.

Me too. Best thing to do IMO is to counter sue.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Does this mean that Kane's name is gonna pop up even more on the trade boards, and people are gonna use this as a reason for why:
1. He wants out of Winnipeg
2. He has pretty much no value?

Who am I kidding, of course it does.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Does this mean that Kane's name is gonna pop up even more on the trade boards, and people are gonna use this as a reason for why:
1. He wants out of Winnipeg
2. He has pretty much no value?

Who am I kidding, of course it does.

Of course it does, because potato.

I hate this kind of stuff - hopefully, Kane countersues rather than just 'giving in'.

Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/jets-star-slapped-with-bc-suit-253687451.html

If the police say they investigated and found no issue, then I believe them. To me this guy lost all credibility when he said "he suffered emotional injuries... including injuries to his feelings, dignity, pride and self-respect in all aspects of his personal and vocational pursuits." Sounds like he's trying to make a few dollars through the courts or in a settlement.

That is just intentional tort language, grounds to stop a trespass against ones body.

I'm having a difficult time imagining Kane just randomly jumping someone on the street :laugh:

Besides, if Kane really wanted to jump him I doubt the police wouldn't be able to find enough evidence to place charges. This is the guy who knocked out Matt Cooke in a single punch.

This is assault, all that is needed is a threat of harm that is comprehended. Physical force would be battery.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
That is just intentional tort language, grounds to stop a trespass against ones body.

This is assault, all that is needed is a threat of harm that is comprehended. Physical force would be battery.

The man claimed that Kane jumped him in the article, that was the exact phrase he used.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad