Player Discussion: Jets sign Eric Comrie to a two-year contract

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Comrie is a bad goalie. Watch him a dozen or so games. If the puck doesn't hit him he's lost. Berdin was superior last year.

Comrie was good in the AHL last year but doesn't look like he is good enough for the NHL albiet it's a small sample.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Not sure why everyone is mad about this - it's a cheap deal to bring back a guy who might turn out to be good
Hopefully no one claims him on waivers

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Comrie was good in the AHL last year but doesn't look like he is good enough for the NHL albiet it's a small sample.
I watched him a tonne. He wasn't really that good. He lost so often. He reminds me of Pavelec not in style but lack of hockey sense. He's a positional goalie who lacks awareness.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I didn't think the draft was next year but the year after?

The draft is in 2021.

And when his contract expires in 2021 he'll still be an RFA which meets the criteria for exposing a goalie.

Doesn't matter much as Berdin will have accrued three pro seasons by that point as well, so both of them will end up exposed if they remain in the organization at that point, so the Jets will be meeting that criteria twice.

Only one of the two needs to remain with the organization that long.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I watched him a tonne. He wasn't really that good. He lost so often. He reminds me of Pavelec not in style but lack of hockey sense. He's a positional goalie who lacks awareness.

Comrie played well, as did all the Moose after Christmas. The team's late season surge was quite similar to the St. Louis Blues, with the Moose also in last place on Christmas.

Comrie was a big part of that going 18-10-1 to finish the season. Was also the AHL Player of the Week in January

Moose’s Comrie named CCM/AHL Player of the Week | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

I'm certainly not blown away by his game, but he is trending in the right direction.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Comrie played well, as did all the Moose after Christmas. The team's late season surge was quite similar to the St. Louis Blues, with the Moose also in last place on Christmas.

Comrie was a big part of that going 18-10-1 to finish the season. Was also the AHL Player of the Week in January

Moose’s Comrie named CCM/AHL Player of the Week | TheAHL.com | The American Hockey League

I'm certainly not blown away by his game, but he is trending in the right direction.

Trending in the right direction, or doing the bare minimum not to make himself a waste of a contract?

I mostly agree with pucka’s assessment. He’s already small for a modern goalie at 6’ish, and on his bad nights he may as well be 5’6”. No positional awareness, routine shots go right through him.

He’s fine as AHL depth, but he’s ceased to remain relevant as a prospect. Standard caveat about goalies being voodoo.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
It’s just 700k and a goalie to expose to Seattle. He’s been a good soldier and a really good player for the Moose even if he doesn’t make it to the NHL. It’s not like the Jets don’t spend money on the Moose as it is. Shaw, Griffith and Letestu all make 300k+.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
And when his contract expires in 2021 he'll still be an RFA which meets the criteria for exposing a goalie.

Doesn't matter much as Berdin will have accrued three pro seasons by that point as well, so both of them will end up exposed if they remain in the organization at that point, so the Jets will be meeting that criteria twice.

Only one of the two needs to remain with the organization that long.

Ah, for some reason I thought he was a UFA after the deal. Good catch and makes sense if that is the plan.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: