Post-Game Talk: Jets shut out easily lose 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
If wheeler and Shuffles are suffering from some sort of long covid struggles they need to tell the f***ing staff they can't keep up. I'm pretty tired of hearing how guys are playing hurt. If they are hurt, and they can't perform...why are they on the ice??? And if they are having that sort of issue, what does it say about Maurice that he keeps trotting them out there shift after shift as though they are the solution to every problem??

Wheeler is not wired this way. But I totally agree with you. The problems that Wheeler is facing is likely far more comprehensive than those hitting Shuffles. If there was ever a subset of overt evidence that he is pulling the cart, it may be these few recent games.

Worth posting and thanks for doing so.

I think your first line is accurate in that 55/26 can't hack the pace. Whether it's covid related or not is subject to debate. But I will add this:

While Wheeler has been kind of stinky I have exactly zero problem with his "try". His hands seem to have deserted him, he's clearly not as quick and his shot may be relatively weak at the moment - I'm fine with potentially attributing that to covid. But I will give him credit because while nothing is working for him I still see him busting his ass going up the ice and coming back down. The solution is to give him time, as you suggest, with lesser responsibilities and hopefully he bounces back with some rest. It's a long season. That's on the coaching staff for not recognizing that yes, your athlete says they're fine, but granny jones in the 300s corner seats can see clearly he isn't. You don't have to be mean about it but take the leadership role you're supposed to have seriously as a coach and not coddle the captain.

Scheifele may well be suffering effects of covid as well and to an extent that can be granted as an "excuse". But he has no "try" in his game right now. He's floating and making poor on ice decisions. He wants to score but he's not willing to work for it. He seems to have lost the notion that a team goal is as important as a Scheifele goal. This behavior has been ongoing for a while. I've been complaining for years about his lack of defensive effort relative to a Bryan Little type of center. Where I sit in Canada Life Centre I have a really good view of our defensive end for two periods and over the past several years Scheifele hasn't made it below the goal line more than a handful of times to the point where I actually notice and am pleased when he does. Many may think I'm being hyperbolic but I'm not, he doesn't go there. Contrast that with what Little used to do and all the discussions we had when we used to complain about Little centering Laine. People would complain that Little wouldn't be first down the ice or wouldn't dig in the offensive corners. That was largely because he spent so much time down below the red line doing what a center is supposed to do defensively.

I'm a huge Scheifele fan, have a number of his autographs and really would love to see him become the Ducky of Jets 2.0. But he's off and it's not just Covid related. He's off upstairs, for reasons unknown and probably unknowable to anyone but he's not the same kid that busted his hump to get to where he was. He was a top ten, arguably a top five center in the league only a few years ago. He should be in his prime right now and should be looking at a big payday coming out of his bargain deal (which btw was a fair deal when signed, it was the two years after that it became an underpay). At this point, based on the very small sample size of Dubois' play this year, I'd rather than money was directed at Dubois. Scheifele wears an A, could arguably have been C, but he's currently playing two C level and that needs to change. It's not just this year, it's a very disturbing trend.

I absolutely respect your scientific knowledge but I don't think it quite applies similarly to the two in question.

Thanks for your post, its extremely thoughtful. You are right I think, Scheifele is a different case. And, the more I think about it, the more I sense that Wheels is the one who is mainly affected by what I've tried to identify.

Last edited:

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
Vesalainen has been a real disappointment for me this year so far. I thought this could be his breakout season but there's only been a handful of times that he did something I was impressed with. Big man, good reach and a great shot - at this point it's up to him. I'd put him on a line with 55 and 27 and tell him his job is to drive to the net, with or without the puck. That will open up a lot of space for the other 2

Agree here; he isn't exactly impressing but I think it's easy to be blinded by low TOI and the effect of linemates... so I definitely think we should give Vesa a chance on a good line to show something before writing him off.

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Someone please post the Maurice “I have the most losses ever, I know what I’m doing” meme.

That’s perfect for this game :laugh:

Ask and you shall receive

20211016-234705.jpg

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Remember the 5 game losing streak that Noel had, he was fired. And that was with the shit team that came from Atlanta. Remember the whole 'cupboards were bare, etc' commentary about that lineup? To me it wasnt as bad as some here believed, but it sure as hell was less talented than the current team that has been built up over a decade by Chevy.

So late last season, Maurice's Jets go on a long losing streak. 7 or 8 games? Now early this year we are in the middle of a 4 game losing streak. With a hell of a lot better roster than what Noel had to work with.

Hello, Chevy, Anybody home?

Cant wait for another Maurice interview about how great it is for the team to go on long losing streaks and that the team continues to reap big benefits from them.

Maurice could sell sand to Saudi Arabia.

Fun fact: Saudi Arabia imports sand from Australia because their sand isn't the right kind for construction (or something like that). So that doesn't sound quite as bad as it seems.

Last edited:

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Intensity, this team does not have it, Urgency, this team is lazy, Tenacity, this team casually skates around barely touching anyone. In the last few games we have seen Helle run over with no one dropping the gloves, and a puck shot into the net after the whistle and we get to see a guy who can't fight turtle, well at least he didn't get knocked out. Jets are a soft team to play against, trap them and they have no idea what to do, interfere with them and they have no idea what to do, pressure them in their own zone and they run around like their heads are cut off. I'm not saying that every night needs to be a fight filled event but at least throw a hit once in a while in the offensive zone, keep the other teams D on their toes. The next week of games should be very interesting either they bounce back or they go deeper into the tank.

Agreed. Intensity has been sorely lacking and teams are going to take advantage of this.

If coaching isn't going to help rectify this, players and more importantly leadership has to take ownership.

Maybe Wheeler needs to drop the gloves to get team mates and himself going.

Reactions: bustamente

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
If wheeler and Shuffles are suffering from some sort of long covid struggles they need to tell the f***ing staff they can't keep up. I'm pretty tired of hearing how guys are playing hurt. If they are hurt, and they can't perform...why are they on the ice??? And if they are having that sort of issue, what does it say about Maurice that he keeps trotting them out there shift after shift as though they are the solution to every problem??
Can we stop with the covid excuses.
Maybe its his love life?
Maybe its the vaccine?
The interview I saw with Scheifele said he had no effects just the test came up negative ... he kept on working out no problem. Those are Mark's words.
The problem with him is he is not mentally prepare who knows why ... maybe the fact that PLD is getting all the attention and is the new #1 center has upset him but that's on the coach to get his players game ready.
As for Wheeler he was on the decline before covid ... it happens. Players get older and your body slows down again that's on the coach to realize your 20+ mins player cannot handle big time mins.
I think the team would be okay just as long as they fix the special teams. All the pieces are there for the coach to win ... he just has to figure it all out which pieces fit where.
Make we should all send Paul puzzles for Christmas.:laugh:

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Can we stop with the covid excuses.
Maybe its his love life?
Maybe its the vaccine?
The interview I saw with Scheifele said he had no effects just the test came up negative ... he kept on working out no problem. Those are Mark's words.
The problem with him is he is not mentally prepare who knows why ... maybe the fact that PLD is getting all the attention and is the new #1 center has upset him but that's on the coach to get his players game ready.
As for Wheeler he was on the decline before covid ... it happens. Players get older and your body slows down again that's on the coach to realize your 20+ mins player cannot handle big time mins.
I think the team would be okay just as long as they fix the special teams. All the pieces are there for the coach to win ... he just has to figure it all out which pieces fit where.
Make we should all send Paul puzzles for Christmas.:laugh:

I'll add to this..... if there are lingering covid symptoms, get him in position for him and the team to succeed. It's not rocket science. His excuse last year was injured ribs all season....... then get him off and let him heal. We have pretty good depth as evidenced by our play without 26 and 55 in the lineup. We don't have to allow the team to win or lose based on Wheeler's health..... or anyone's for that matter.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Scheifele looks and plays like a guy that may be looking for a fresh start somewhere else, no effort whatsoever

Both Scheifele and Wheeler have been awful - but so have other players coming back after being out with Covid (protocol). Even a mild case can take a lot out of an athlete.

I don't want to make excuses for those two, but the possibility of lingering Covid effects is real. Maybe send them home for a week or two with instructions to get themselves back into shape. IDK that is the solution, but it might be. Or play them together on the 4th line for 8 min a game for a while until they catch up. Whatever.

KB1971

Dec 15, 2017
The issues with the lackluster effort by Schief is not new, just the results are not there so far. He has been playing this way for a few years but it was masked by getting points.

Reactions: Mooche and surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
2 players who go to the net Stastny and Dubois on the same unit and nobody who goes to the net on another unit ... what's wrong with this picture?:huh:

No triggerman on the second unit to get puck on net.... does Moe even think about what he's doing..... also what good is putting all of our shooters on one unit with no one to get them the puck in prime scoring areas.... Sorry Blake you aren't that guy any longer.

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Jets played a bunch of rookies, who likely get asked for ID to buy liquor, and yet Columbus looked like the better team with the better scoring chances. Jet's fans ( including myself) need to demand a coaching change.

This team (coach) also lost to SJS, a not very good team beginning a rebuild, with 8 players(!!!!!!) and a coach missing, essentially an AHL team.

Reactions: JetsFan815 and GNP

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
What is the definition of INSANITY again??

:deadhorse Not what you think it is. That would be a definition of stupidity. The insane are not necessarily stupid. And Einstein probably never said it. If he did, he was wrong.

:laugh: I hate that saying.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
I don't understand the reasoning of continuing to put Wheeler on PP1, does Maurice not watch film, he handles the puck like a grenade, has a shot that even Timbits players giggle at and falls down for no apparent reason. Time to cut the cord and actually put players on the PP and 2 top lines that will help the team flourish.

None

Feb 22, 2012
No triggerman on the second unit to get puck on net.... does Moe even think about what he's doing..... also what good is putting all of our shooters on one unit with no one to get them the puck in prime scoring areas.... Sorry Blake you aren't that guy any longer.

Not to mention he has an opportunity to put a more skilled RHS on PP2 in Wheeler but elects to go with 5 LHS. I guess Nash's RHS on PP2 really wasn't as necessary as it was made out to be?

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
That slash by Joshua last night that he got fined for today was bush league, I like an aggressive player and Morrissey plays with a little bit of snarl but that was uncalled for, I expect Domi to be a punk and an ass he was born that way

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
:deadhorse Not what you think it is. That would be a definition of stupidity. The insane are not necessarily stupid. And Einstein probably never said it. If he did, he was wrong.

:laugh: I hate that saying.
How about this one then?

"Experience is making the same mistake over and over again, only with greater confidence." I have no idea who said it originally but I read it in Michael Lewis' latest book The Premonition...A Pandemic Story. A good read by the way.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Both Scheifele and Wheeler have been awful - but so have other players coming back after being out with Covid (protocol). Even a mild case can take a lot out of an athlete.

I don't want to make excuses for those two, but the possibility of lingering Covid effects is real. Maybe send them home for a week or two with instructions to get themselves back into shape. IDK that is the solution, but it might be. Or play them together on the 4th line for 8 min a game for a while until they catch up. Whatever.

I vote - play them down in the line up until they are ready to play at the pace required to play top 6 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad