Player Discussion Jake DeBrusk VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
IMO, played well against the Panthers. Pretty steady, against Florida, did blocked shot, liked his game 2024 PO

Reactions: fin8

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I was a staunch get rid of Jake supporter but his work in the playoffs gave me pause ...if the price is right keep him ...but he'll get more $$ elsewhere in the open market 100% ...I think he's gone and I'm really not that sad.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
View attachment 873003

View attachment 873004

Jake was in good company in the playoffs. Look at these players above, tied, or below him.

But sure, let's just get rid of a proven playoff performer.
You keep pumping this narrative when you know as well as anyone else that Jake has never been a reliable playoff performer. He was good for these 13 games. And he’s been good at times in the playoffs in the past. But a dozen games is not indicative of his play over his entire career. He’s just as inconsistent in the post-season as he’s been in the regular season.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Was he asked about future yesterday

I don’t really care. In game 6 Debrusk was blocking shots, making plays, and skating with purpose. Geekie was meh and Freddy had the yips and single-handedly killed at least 4 solid scoring chances with terrible passes. Neither of those guys should be in the top 6 on a team with cup hopes. Debrusk is on a different level.
Didn’t he make that pass to send pasta in alone as well

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I just do not see how the Bruin's can afford ,not to make a solid pitch to keep DeBrusk in a Bruin uniform. He is one of there best forwards is still relatively young . IMO equally talented on both the defensive and offensive side of the puck. A team that lacks the forwards required to win is going to let one of there best forwards walk ??? I sure hope not

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Bruins need to prioritize skill at wing this offseason. They have enough penalty killers and don’t need to pay 5/6 million or more for another one.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
Bruins need to prioritize skill at wing this offseason. They have enough penalty killers and don’t need to pay 5/6 million or more for another one.
I am not sure who you are referring to hear ?? Surely not the player who lead the Bruins in Playoff points ???

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Was he asked about future yesterday

Didn’t he make that pass to send pasta in alone as well

He was, predictably, non-committal. I'm 50/50 on Jake. Could see him re-signing or leaving, no real feel for which way it will go. If the price is right, no problems with keeping him around. If it isn't, finding a replacement will be a requirement and not necessarily an easy one in what looks like a fairly lean market.

Reactions: caz16 and Kate08

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

As Jake DeBrusk rumbled into Warrior Arena on Sunday, he acknowledged he had a bit of a funny feeling.
After seven seasons with the Bruins, it occurred to DeBrusk that it could be his last time cleaning out a locker at 90 Guest Street.
“Obviously I think that that’s something that creeps in your mind. It sucks. Not a good feeling to think about,” said DeBrusk, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1.
Though the Bruins’ top postseason point producer (five goals, 11 points) is at a career crossroads, DeBrusk still sees a path to staying put at the only professional address he’s ever known.

“I see a path here. I mean, I think I said it all year. I still have hope and if you told me at the beginning of the year I’d be here without a contract, I probably wouldn’t have believed you,” he said. “But at the same time, I mean I’ve always loved my time here. There’s a lot of great memories even from my rookie season to now, seventh year, I guess, in the playoffs. So, lots of good memories and lots of good things that hit you on the emotional side of things, I guess in the sense of when you’re thinking about, I guess the other side, but sitting here, I haven’t talked to management. I am not exactly sure.

“It still feels fresh that we lost, and I hope, like I said, it works out.”

DeBrusk played through a broken hand suffered in late January and though his offense slipped (19 goals, 40 points) this season, he played a reliable two-way game on both wings, and was one of the club’s top penalty killers.

“So, I felt like I was kind of learning, honestly, a lot this year. I think that the defensive side of the game is something that takes years for guys to master, and I think that I made some positive steps there,” DeBrusk said. “I made some big-time mistakes as well, but you do when you’re trying to get better in that area. And then I think it, for me personally, ended off pretty well in the playoffs.

“I wish I still could have done more, but in saying that I think that I did, I guess what I wanted to do now, looking back.”

DeBrusk said he thought management, the coaching staff, and most importantly his teammates appreciated his efforts this season.

“Obviously that’s who you want as a player is for that in general, but I think it’s more so in your teammates,” he said. “I think that you want your teammates to respect you the most. That’s who you go to battle with every single day obviously, but I think so, yeah. I think that any time someone’s playing through something obviously brings a different level, but I think it was a little crazy at the beginning and then I kind of suited myself, so I stuck with it.”

DeBrusk likely is seeking a multiyear deal in the $6-6.5 million range, while the Bruins are projected to have close to $24 million in salary cap space for next season.

“I haven’t actually talked to management today yet, so I don’t have any necessarily new updates on that side of things, but I think I have a pretty good understanding of what the market is in that sense of the word. It’s not that hard,” he said. “You just got to look at certain guy’s stats and things like that and just go from there. But I understand the range, the cap going up, and everything like that, it obviously will be different, but in saying that, I’m not going to say I’m a know-it-all, obviously there’s logistics and things that are different.”

Winning — not money — is DeBrusk’s top focus when it comes to free agency.

“I’ve got a lot of experience playing games. Obviously was close [to a title] in 2019,” he said. “That’s the biggest thing. I think that’s all I want to do now is to win a Stanley Cup. So that’s the No. 1 priority.”

Also from Globe:

As Sunday dawns, Jake DeBrusk will stand just 42 days from finding out what riches might come his way in free agency, beginning July 1. After yet another streaky regular season (19-21–40), DeBrusk, 27, again became one of the Bruins’ top postseason contributors (5-5–10 prior to Game 6). Someone out there is bound to give him close to what the Blues gave Torey Krug (seven years/$45.5 million) when they filched him away from the Bruins’ backline after the 2019-20 season. The guess, at this hour, is that the Bruins make a big play for pricier forwards (perhaps Elias Lindholm and/or Steven Stamkos) and tell DeBrusk they’ll circle back if the bank hasn’t been drained. Chicago, San Jose, and Anaheim would be among the most likely to make a play for DeBrusk if he hits the open market.

Last edited:

Babajingo

I am not sure who you are referring to hear ?? Surely not the player who lead the Bruins in Playoff points ???
I looked it up. He is ranked 37th in PPG in the playoffs (0.846), right behind Marchand (0.909).
Also, a -5. Marchand was a +3.
Playoffs stats are fickle. small sample set.
Ex: Kreider, Before their last game he was 7 pts in 9 games. then got that hattie and now he is 10 points in 10 games.

He did play the best for the B's. But how much weight does that carry? when their offense was horrible.

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
two goals in game one against the Leafs in a blow out, an EN goal in game one against Florida in a blow out. 5 pointless games against Toronto when they needed to close them out and multiple missed grade A opportunities against Florida in game 4/5/6.

Im not saying dont resign DeBrusk, I'm saying if you sign him dont do it for more than 5 and trade Zacha if you do. Moneys there to get someone more impactful IF you clear that money and Ullmark's. Who knows what will happen, do you want a top line player or another middle six two way forward.

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
I looked it up. He is ranked 37th in PPG in the playoffs (0.846), right behind Marchand (0.909).
Also, a -5. Marchand was a +3.
Playoffs stats are fickle. small sample set.
Ex: Kreider, Before their last game he was 7 pts in 9 games. then got that hattie and now he is 10 points in 10 games.

He did play the best for the B's. But how much weight does that carry? when their offense was horrible.
I think you are arguing my point . A team lacking offense should not be walking away from one of there best offensive players. Who also is very good defensively. Providing his contract demands are reasonable

bme44

Sponsor
Feb 18, 2010
Nova Scotia
two goals in game one against the Leafs in a blow out, an EN goal in game one against Florida in a blow out. 5 pointless games against Toronto when they needed to close them out and multiple missed grade A opportunities against Florida in game 4/5/6.

Im not saying dont resign DeBrusk, I'm saying if you sign him dont do it for more than 5 and trade Zacha if you do. Moneys there to get someone more impactful IF you clear that money and Ullmark's. Who knows what will happen, do you want a top line player or another middle six two way forward.
I simply feel signing one of your best forwards should be a priority provided he has reasonable contract demands

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hard pass on giving 6+ to a guy who shows up when he wants to in the regular season and will pout every time he has a case of the mondays. His playoffs reiterates it's a matter of want to with him

I think as fans we see out own players way too much, and don't watch other players as much. So we have deep convictions on the strength and weaknesses of our guys (even if they were playing with a broken hand).

And too often don't see other guys who may have very similar weaknesses, or other limitations

Reactions: bme44

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Was having a discussion with some buddy's about playoff performers (or lack there of) on the Bruins. I went and looked to see what production has looked like over the last 3 playoffs DeBrusk ranks.....

Shots - 3rd
Goals - 2nd
Assist - 4th
Points - 2nd
Blocks - 7th
Hits - 3rd

His lats 3 playoffs he's played at a 33G/63P pace. If you could get that during the regular season from him.....damn would he be a huge asset.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Was having a discussion with some buddy's about playoff performers (or lack there of) on the Bruins. I went and looked to see what production has looked like over the last 3 playoffs DeBrusk ranks.....

Shots - 3rd
Goals - 2nd
Assist - 4th
Points - 2nd
Blocks - 7th
Hits - 3rd

His lats 3 playoffs he's played at a 33G/63P pace. If you could get that during the regular season from him.....damn would he be a huge asset.
I'd rather a guy show up in the playoffs when it matters.

Sure, I'd also like regular season too. Knowing he had a broken hand this year makes sense for his down year in production. But Jake is a valuable asset. And we would be fools to let a player that we drafted, who wants to stay here, go.

I hope we resign him for a good price.

• Love
Reactions: bme44

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

Sure, I'd also like regular season too. Knowing he had a broken hand this year makes sense for his down year in production. But Jake is a valuable asset. And we would be fools to let a player that we drafted, who wants to stay here, go.

Why can't we have both though? I'm with you, I hope they find a deal to keep him on the team. I just want to see him put it all together for a full season without getting set back by injury. Last year he was trending there until he got hurt.

Reactions: Mione134

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Same, but I think if you ask 10 people what "good price" means you might get 10 different answers.

He might get 4-5 years at 7+ as a free agent. Hard pass for me.

I'm so torn on him and have flip flopped 10x over, cuz he's just so incredibly up and down. There's hardly ever a middle ground with him. Under 6mil, sure. I just don't think it's possible.

EDIT: Even around 6 mil I would hem and haw over it. Honestly, I'd sleep on it at 5.5 This kid drives me nuts

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
The thing with letting DeBrusk walk is, who do they have on the wings that can step up in his spot? DeBrusk has been playing RW out of team necessity, but he's primarily a left winger and outside of Marchand, DeBrusk is the only viable top 6 LW'er in the organization. Unless the plan is to move Zacha to wing and sign a real #1 center, moving on from DeBrusk has the potential of hurting the team if the Bruins can't find a replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad