Confirmed with Link: Jets Recall Nelson Nogier

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
People are really jumping the gun here. He'll be back in the AHL next year and most likely only get called up if there is a similar rash of D injuries to get into the double digits of the depth chart

I agree that we shouldn't get overly enthusiastic with his showing in a few late-season games.

Personally, I still think he's a long-shot and we won't know his potential for another 2-3 years.

But I think that he has a tool-kit that can translate to the NHL if he figures out how to play consistently. As I've said before, the dream is a Josh Manson trajectory, turning into a shut-down D with limited offense at around 23-24 years old.

Sort of like this profile....

View attachment 94553

Ya, I don't see quite the positives some are seeing with Nogier. He doesn't look good to me.
Now, if we're talking relatively speaking, the Jets defense is a dumpload of trash outside of Trouba and Morrissey, so he doesn't look that bad. But as a NHLer, meh.

I think the key is "relatively speaking" and with time. He actually doesn't have to look good on a team that has Mark Stuart he just has to suck less to provide an upgrade.

Our organization trots out bad D men at the best of times and even worse when the **** hits the fan which tends to happen allot in Winnipeg. I am just happy to have a non blue chip D prospect marginally exceeding expectations for once. I am burnt out on our filler prototype of BIG low skilled D men. Perhaps Nogier's hockey IQ will allow him to exceed expectations as time goes on.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I really like how he finds his man in front of the net and stays on him, constantly harassing. Unlike at least one other player on the team, he doesn't just stand there in one spot waiting and then gently wave his stick as someone comes into his area. Nogier pesters and ties up guys. It's good to see.
He's playing like he's trying to make the team, something a few of our veterans could use a little more of.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Ya, I don't see quite the positives some are seeing with Nogier. He doesn't look good to me.
Now, if we're talking relatively speaking, the Jets defense is a dumpload of trash outside of Trouba and Morrissey, so he doesn't look that bad. But as a NHLer, meh.

I think that's the sad state we're in. A guy with really only remote NHL expectations (Nogier), comes in and looks better than 2 guys the Jets have been using as mainstays for years (Stu and Chariot), and better than the other "main" replacement Melchiori.

A pretty sad commentary on the quality of depth defenders the Jets have been using for years, and management's either inability to recognize how terrible they are, or inability to replace.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I think that's the sad state we're in. A guy with really only remote NHL expectations (Nogier), comes in and looks better than 2 guys the Jets have been using as mainstays for years (Stu and Chariot), and better than the other "main" replacement Melchiori.

A pretty sad commentary on the quality of depth defenders the Jets have been using for years, and management's either inability to recognize how terrible they are, or inability to replace.

Character! Character! It's all about Character.
No, how about we make it about both character AND skill. Many players have both. Many players that we could go after to solidify this team have both.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Doesn't seem to be a newer thread — or I just didn't see it. Hopefully this can be merged if that is the case.

Saw that Nogier was called up four times but only appeared in one game with the Jets.

Admittedly, defensemen can take a bit longer to reach the NHL (New Jersey's Dakota Mermis immediately comes to mind).

Any chance that Nogier is re-signed and if so is he at the point of cracking the lineup with the Jets or is his future that of an AHL/occasional call-up at this point?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Doesn't seem to be a newer thread — or I just didn't see it. Hopefully this can be merged if that is the case.

Saw that Nogier was called up four times but only appeared in one game with the Jets.

Admittedly, defensemen can take a bit longer to reach the NHL (New Jersey's Dakota Mermis immediately comes to mind).

Any chance that Nogier is re-signed and if so is he at the point of cracking the lineup with the Jets or is his future that of an AHL/occasional call-up at this point?

I expect he will be offered an AHL contract but he is still an RFA so maybe he gets a 2 way deal. If he couldn't break in to the Jets lineup this year with them as weak as they are/were then I think he is no longer a prospect. Therefore the AHL offer.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB
I expect he will be offered an AHL contract but he is still an RFA so maybe he gets a 2 way deal. If he couldn't break in to the Jets lineup this year with them as weak as they are/were then I think he is no longer a prospect. Therefore the AHL offer.

Why do you think they give him an AHL contract?

Not agreeing or disagreeing. But if they don’t think enough of him to offer an NHL contract and no longer see him as a prospect, they might as well cut bait. Use that AHL contract for an undrafted prospect with some upside.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Why do you think they give him an AHL contract?

Not agreeing or disagreeing. But if they don’t think enough of him to offer an NHL contract and no longer see him as a prospect, they might as well cut bait. Use that AHL contract for an undrafted prospect with some upside.

They might go that way instead. Or they might do both. They usually have a few good AHL, no NHL players on the roster.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I believe he will get 1 more contract for 1 more year on a 2 way contract. He is cheap insurance player who fill in at the 9/10 depth position for defenseman. He should only see the ice if we have 4 regular defence men out.

1 more season is because he will still be classified as a developmental player and not a veteran AHL player. We must dress at least 12-13 developmental skaters each game and 5 or 6 veteran players. A veteran player is a player who has played more than 260 professional games by the time that season starts.

Nogier has played 210 or so pro games.... Once he is classified as a vet...... he will lose his AHL job as there are better options.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad