Salary Cap: Jets Organizational Chart

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
IMO Atropov isn't nearly as slow as everyone thinks. His skating style makes him appear slower than he actually is. Lemiuex was the same way (not that Antopov is anywhere near as good as Lemiuex) in that his stride made him seem slower than he was.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
One thing I've seen Nik doing that really pleases me is that he's really using his body out there. He's been doing the dirty work and I've seen him getting in the goalies face while the opposition teams clamoring for goalie interference numerous times on plays he has made. He is also often positioned quite well on most plays and very few times will you see him make a poor defensive play.

His speed is also often attacked without understanding the stride. He's what? 6'5" - 6'6"? He is by no means fast, but anyone that big will always look slower than they are due to their long strides. Think Blake Wheeler (who is admittedly faster than Nik) when out on his own he can look quite slow due to the lumbering stride, but you have to watch him side-by-side with other players. The guy isn't as slow as some would think. Add to the fact that he's playing centre and has to natural "fall back" on certain plays to sustain a defensive position and you can see how his speed issues can be overblown.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
One thing I've seen Nik doing that really pleases me is that he's really using his body out their. He's been doing the dirty work and I've seen him getting in the goalies face and the opposition teams clamoring for goalie interference numerous times on plays he has made. He is also often positioned quite well on most plays and very few times will you see him make a poor defensive play.

His speed is also often attacked without understanding the stride. He's what? 6'5" - 6'6"? He is by no means fast, but anyone that big will always look slower than they are due to their long strides. Think Blake Wheeler (who is admittedly faster than Nik) when out on his own he can look quite slow due to the lumbering stride, but you have to watch him side-by-side with other players. The guy isn't as slow as some would think. Add to the fact that he's playing centre and has to natural "fall back" on certain plays to sustain a defensive position and you can see how his speed issues can be overblown.

One thing that made me smile is during the Carolina game someone came after the puck and he basically threw the guy to the ice, and then another guy came to answer and he swatted him down too. Antro is a beast. I have no issue with his effort.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Updated post deadline...we certainly are going to be loaded for the 2013 draft, assuming we don't sign Leveille (a safe bet) we are going to have 6 picks in the top 90.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Updated post deadline...we certainly are going to be loaded for the 2013 draft, assuming we don't sign Leveille (a safe bet) we are going to have 6 picks in the top 90.

That is really impressive. Have you heard how that class is going to be?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
That is really impressive. Have you heard how that class is going to be?

Hearing good things, but honestly I am getting a little jaded about the "hearing good things" about a draft class two or more years away thing. I always hear good things about far away draft classes. Hard to say really.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Finally got one of my "future projects" up and running. Took longer that I though. Still missing the info on some RFA's from the summer, but I am tired right now to start looking for it.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Do you have a link or any info on the release of Jesse Martin? I know that based on his age and everything he should be a UFA but I noticed the other day that he's still listed as in the system on the Jets site.

Could his injury status have prevented his rights from expiring?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Do you have a link or any info on the release of Jesse Martin? I know that based on his age and everything he should be a UFA but I noticed the other day that he's still listed as in the system on the Jets site.

Could his injury status have prevented his rights from expiring?

I actually do not have a link. Based on my understanding of the prospect rules, both Jesse Martin and John Albert should be UFA's. Both are currently listed on the Jets site as "In the system". It's weird. As far as I can tell they are UFA's, much like G Alex Kangas is (who is playing in the Central Hockey League).

I do not know if his injury situation could be affecting it. Did not even know about his injury situation, far as I can tell he is not playing this year (is he hurt all year?) I can see he only played 8 games last year.

YWG

Jun 1, 2011
I actually do not have a link. Based on my understanding of the prospect rules, both Jesse Martin and John Albert should be UFA's. Both are currently listed on the Jets site as "In the system". It's weird. As far as I can tell they are UFA's, much like G Alex Kangas is (who is playing in the Central Hockey League).

I do not know if his injury situation could be affecting it. Did not even know about his injury situation, far as I can tell he is not playing this year (is he hurt all year?) I can see he only played 8 games last year.

Here is the hit from last year. He suffered 3 fractures to his C-2. I'm pretty sure this ended his career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBp10hz6rzw

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Updated with Melchiori and O'Neill contracts. Melchiori's will not start until next season, whereas O'Neill's starts immediately. Leaves only D Kendall McFaull, D Sebastien Owuya and LW Daultan Leveille as unsigned prospects for this summer. McFaull is the only one with even an outside chance of being signed, IMO.

jetkarma*

Thought I'd bump this thread, since I want to get some discussion going about the state of this roster, and some of the moves that should be made going forward. This is my vision for a 3 year plan for the Jets, with the purpose of becoming a consistent playoff team.

Before I get started, a couple of things:

1) I've listed players on the depth chart where I believe their upside or talent level dictates they should be ON A STANLEY CUP CONTENDING TEAM. Obviously this is a totally subjective exercise, but if nothing else, hopefully it can stimulate some discussion.

2) Players are put in bold, italicized, or normal font. This corresponds as:

Bold: Player whose age/upside/contract dictates they should be part of the Jets longterm plan, as in 2013-14 and beyond.

Normal: Player whose age/upside/contract dictates they should be potentially considered part of the Jets longterm plan, but could also be offloaded in the short term (ie. prior to 2013-14).

Italicized: Player whose age/upside/contract dictates they likely won't be part of the Jets longterm plan, and will most likely be off the roster prior to 2013-14.

Forwards

Kane - x - x
Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Miettinen - Antropov - Wellwood/Burmistrov
Glass - Slater - Thorburn

Cormier
Stapleton
Fehr
Klingberg
Scheifele

Top 6: Yep, there's some holes here. You can argue all you like that this is overly critical, but my assumption is this; if the Jets are going to be a Stanley Cup contender, guys like Ladd, Little and Wheeler have to be considered 2nd line talents. Of course it's always subject to change, but none has showed enough consistency to be considered a bona fide first-liner.

Kane, despite his inconsistent play and often maddening inability to utilize teammates, should be slotted in the first line. The upside is there, no question, and I'd be willing to bet that he'll eventually reach it. So, what's missing from making this a true first line?

-A rangy, cerebral playmaker. Hey, that sounds like Scheifele! I hope he meets that expectation, I really do. Because if not, I just don't like the Jets chances of going to war with Little as their first liner. I just don't. He'd be ideally suited for the 2nd line role on a cup contending team, which is the premise I'm operating from

-A glass-eating, shift-disturbing, 30-30 type of guy. Think Milan Lucic. I believe the only way the Jets can become SC contenders is by infusing their top 6 with guys who are big, tough and compete. Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, those are all good starts. But they need that one extra piece that fits that role, which I just don't feel is Burmistrov (more on that later).

Bottom 6: This looks alot better. Starting with the third line, I believe Miettinen, Antropov and Wellwood are solidly 3rd line guys on a contending team. Down the road, I would expect Klingberg, Cormier and a UFA RW would replace them, as none of the 3 is likely to figure in long-term. 4th line, much the same, though I see them as a bit more entrenched. The only reason why I haven't bolded Glass and Slater is that I have no idea whether they want to test the UFA waters. Nevertheless, Chevy should do everything in his power to get them inked.

Now you're probably asking, where's Burmistrov? Simply put, he's the wildcard in this equation. I just don't know where he fits at this point. But once again, operating under the premise that we want to be a SC contending team in 3 years time, I just can't justify placing him in our top 6. If he develops to that level, great. But as it stands, he would be a great 3rd liner, and that's not supposed to be any kind of knock

Depth: Pretty straightforward. Cormier and Klingberg should comprise our future 3rd line. Scheifele will hopefully evolve into a 25-50 type of 1st line C one day, but that's a big question mark. Fehr and Stapleton are dime a dozen players. I just don't see them figuring in long term.

Summary:

Assets:

-solid depth, with players who slot nicely into the 3rd and 4th line roles
-secondary scorers aplenty
-Evander Kane as a longterm building block up front
-Burmistrov

Liabilities:

-Banking heavily that Scheifele will become a true first line C, and not another complementary type
-3rd line showing its age, Cormier and Klingberg may or may not pan out in that role
-Need a true scoring RW with size, so that Wheeler can be utilized in a complementary role

Future outlook:

-since it's highly unlikely the Jets will dip into the UFA pool for that coveted 1st line C or RW, I believe they need to strongly consider trading one of their defensive assets for some forward help.

-UFA period this summer and next summer should be to replenish team with 3rd liners for likely loss of Miettinen, Antropov, and Wellwood. Possibly even a 4th liner if one of Glass or Slater can't be resigned.

-Much of the latter point will be dictated by how ready Cormier and Klingberg are by next season.

Nice write up and analysis .

A couple points , Wheeler has taken another step up , even the last stretch when he hasn't scored imo. He creates virtually every shift , and his intensity , his compete level has as well. He could be a first line RW , and with the type of C you describe , he as well as Kane would greatly benefit from that. If he isn't a first line RW , he certainly is a great 2nd line RW imo.

You haven't included Teligin , and while we know he is likely a year or so away , what he has done the last 3 months have to make you serioulsy consider that he may be a significant component for this team. If his scoring continues he could be a second line winger , but could easily develop to a very good 3rd liner. Big , elite speed , can score ... nice assets and he is someone I want to watch very closely at camp this fall.

Tim Stapleton is a guy I had little regard for at the start of the year to be very direct. However he has gotten better and is a real nice "extra" guy. He has been good on the point and I would look to bring him back at a fair contract.

I think the bottom forwards need some work but we do have some possibilities , more grit , some nastyness would be nice.

A very solid , shut down , physical Dman would also be a big improvement.

Personally I think Chevy has a clear idea of whom he may trade for a similarly valued player , albeit a different type of player now that a full season has passed. Making the team over slightly , and that would be one step in the process.

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Updated with Melchiori and O'Neill contracts. Melchiori's will not start until next season, whereas O'Neill's starts immediately. Leaves only D Kendall McFaull, D Sebastien Owuya and LW Daultan Leveille as unsigned prospects for this summer. McFaull is the only one with even an outside chance of being signed, IMO.

O'Neill's on an ATO with the IceCaps so his contract slides as well does it not? Or is that why it's a 2 year, because this is technically the first year of the NHL contract?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Upon further research this morning, I found out that Swedish prospects for the past 2 years are once again subject to the 2 year rule as a transfer agreement is in place. Somehow this escaped my notice :facepalm: Stupid me.

As such, C Nicklas Lasu has been removed from the Jets protected list. He was 2008 pick. Also, it means that G Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel was added to the list of prospects needing to be signed by June 1, 2012. Interesting to see what they do with him, he had a solid season as a backup in the SEL with Farjestad.

O'Neill's on an ATO with the IceCaps so his contract slides as well does it not? Or is that why it's a 2 year, because this is technically the first year of the NHL contract?

O'Neill signed an NHL contract from what I can tell. With his age, his ELC would be a 2 year contract. This article suggests that the contract starts this year. It would make more sense to have signed O'Neill to an ATO to end the year and start the ELC in the off-season, but since O'Neill could have become an UFA on August 15th, burning a year off the ELC might have been incentive to sign with the Jets.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/26/sports/maines-oneill-signs-contract-with-nhls-winnipeg-jets/

Also, (and I know this is an extreme technicality but I'll say it anyways :laugh:) Melchiori's contract does not slide, it cannot as he is above 19 years old. The contract does not take effect until next season. Scheifele/Telegin's contract's "slid" since they coulda been this year, but as 18/19 year old's that played less that 10 games, they slid. Melchiori's simply starts next year.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Upon further research this morning, I found out that Swedish prospects for the past 2 years are once again subject to the 2 year rule as a transfer agreement is in place. Somehow this escaped my notice :facepalm: Stupid me.

As such, C Nicklas Lasu has been removed from the Jets protected list. He was 2008 pick. Also, it means that G Fredrik Pettersson-Wenztel was added to the list of prospects needing to be signed by June 1, 2012. Interesting to see what they do with him, he had a solid season as a backup in the SEL with Farjestad.

O'Neill signed an NHL contract from what I can tell. With his age, his ELC would be a 2 year contract. This article suggests that the contract starts this year. It would make more sense to have signed O'Neill to an ATO to end the year and start the ELC in the off-season, but since O'Neill could have become an UFA on August 15th, burning a year off the ELC might have been incentive to sign with the Jets.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/03/26/sports/maines-oneill-signs-contract-with-nhls-winnipeg-jets/

Also, (and I know this is an extreme technicality but I'll say it anyways :laugh:) Melchiori's contract does not slide, it cannot as he is above 19 years old. The contract does not take effect until next season. Scheifele/Telegin's contract's "slid" since they coulda been this year, but as 18/19 year old's that played less that 10 games, they slid. Melchiori's simply starts next year.

we signed telegin? I didn't know that...

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg

The IceCaps site has them signing O'Neill to an ATO, not that I have any idea what bearing this has on his current NHL contract and when it begins. It wouldn't be necessary for the AHL team to make the signing if he was already under NHL contract right?

I'm farily confused about this at this point. :laugh:

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
The IceCaps site has them signing O'Neill to an ATO, not that I have any idea what bearing this has on his current NHL contract and when it begins. It wouldn't be necessary for the AHL team to make the signing if he was already under NHL contract right?

Me too, i read all this stuff once and thought I got it. Then saw the articles about the ATO, came back to these posts, and i'm still lost.

If he signed an NHL ELC, he shouldn't need an ATO with st johns. I'm guessing the ELC must then not kick in until next year...otherwise that doesn't make any sense at all, he'd essentially be on two contracts with the same organization...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

Based on the Jets site press release saying that he has signed both a NHL contract and ATO with the IceCaps, it is fairly clear that the NHL deal starts July 1, 2012 so I have given O'Neill his "*" beside his contract in the table indicating it will not start until next year. :nod:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Just thought I'd add my own flavour to Hank's post. This is partially looking at the same stuff (contracts, TNSE habbits, etc) but I kicked out a few due to those who get a tad older before their contracts expire... Also, there is a tad of my own subjective tastes and hopes :P

My predictions for three years down the road:
Forwards
Kane – Schiefele – Wheeler
Ladd – Little – Machacek
Klinberg – Burmistrov – Wellwood
Glass – Slater – Thorburn
Possibly:
Cormier
Maxwell
Telegin
Fehr

Defence
Enstrom – Bogosian
Redmond – Byfuglien
Stuart – Postma
Possibly:
Jones
Flood
Clitsome
Melchiori
Yuen

I kept Fehr, Jones, Flood and Clitsome even though they all had rough seasons (some more than others) because they all have possible excuses for their weaknesses so that it really depends on how they pull off next year...

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Finally something to update. It has been confirmed that G Fredrik Pettersson-Wentzel, D Sebastien Owuya and D Kendall McFaull will not be be signed by June 1, 12 so all 3 will re-enter the draft this season. If they go undrafted, they will UFA's.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00