OT: Jets Lounge: post-Jedi edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Making my second attempt to watch a super bowl.

Pros:
I can actually understand how downs and yards work.
Eagles running play.

Cons:
Oh mmmyyy gooosh the whole process is still so boring. Why do they have this much time to sit and talk on the sidelines?
Edit: like, the the ad break between 3rd and 4th felt shorter than some stoppages in play

Last edited:
Reactions: DarthMonty

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg
Making my second attempt to watch a super bowl.

Pros:
I can actually understand how downs and yards work.
Eagles running play.

Cons:
Oh mmmyyy gooosh the whole process is still so boring. Why do they have this much time to sit and talk on the sidelines?
Edit: like, the the ad break between 3rd and 4th felt shorter than some stoppages in play

For a long time I've maintained that the NFL is a terrible sport/game. However, inexplicably I have been watching it for years.

- Rules difficult to understand. At a glance I couldn't tell you what an illegal formation is, or what eligible receivers are, etc. Also confusing what is interference, what is not. Sometimes confusing what constitutes a completed pass, what constitutes a touchdown, or a 'runner'. Heck sometimes the players and refs don't even know the rules. What they do know is subject to heavy interpretation. Then you have historically terrible overtime rules that involve a coin toss for possession.

- No flow to the game/too many stoppages. We have a game here that is technically 60 minutes. But it actually lasts 3 hours because of all the stoppages. In in that 3 hours, you only get about 12 minutes of time where the ball is actually in motion on the field. There have been many games that I watched where literally no 'play' happened for 10 - 20 minutes. Time-out, commercial break, injury, timeout, commercial break. That is silly. On Sunday you kinda need to flip back and forth between 2-3 games because sometimes just nothing is happening.

- Plays being negated/called back frequently. When the action finally does resume, you often get plays called back due to penalties. The ball moves backwards, the play didn't happen, and time ticks off. What other sport does that? Hockey might have the occasional overturned goal. But plays being negated, big chunks of time that 'never happened', happens several times every single football game.

- Frequency of injury. Crazy, more than any other sport. Again, this disrupts the flow of play and is just bad for the players.

- Overhead and technology required to create the game/game experience. The QB and a defensive player have headsets in the helmets so the coach can relay plays to them. The 1st down line is projected into the broadcast so fans can understand where the ball needs to advance to. A competent broadcast team required to make each play comprehensible. Replay cameras, video reviews etc. Of course in the old days they didn't have any of this, but today it's pretty much needed to make the game digestible by the average fan. I'd argue no other field (or ice) sport requires this much clutter.

The NFL is a terrible game. And it's also a fantastic product. It's expertly presented and marketed. And you do see flashes of athletic brilliance, because these players are really freaks. But if it wasn't for fantasy football, and Sunday drinking, and a super-slick presentation I'm not sure where it would be. Great past-time. As an actual game it kinda sucks IMHO.

Reactions: GJF

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For a long time I've maintained that the NFL is a terrible sport/game. However, inexplicably I have been watching it for years.

- Rules difficult to understand. At a glance I couldn't tell you what an illegal formation is, or what eligible receivers are, etc. Also confusing what is interference, what is not. Sometimes confusing what constitutes a completed pass, what constitutes a touchdown, or a 'runner'. Heck sometimes the players and refs don't even know the rules. What they do know is subject to heavy interpretation. Then you have historically terrible overtime rules that involve a coin toss for possession.

- No flow to the game/too many stoppages. We have a game here that is technically 60 minutes. But it actually lasts 3 hours because of all the stoppages. In in that 3 hours, you only get about 12 minutes of time where the ball is actually in motion on the field. There have been many games that I watched where literally no 'play' happened for 10 - 20 minutes. Time-out, commercial break, injury, timeout, commercial break. That is silly. On Sunday you kinda need to flip back and forth between 2-3 games because sometimes just nothing is happening.

- Plays being negated/called back frequently. When the action finally does resume, you often get plays called back due to penalties. The ball moves backwards, the play didn't happen, and time ticks off. What other sport does that? Hockey might have the occasional overturned goal. But plays being negated, big chunks of time that 'never happened', happens several times every single football game.

- Frequency of injury. Crazy, more than any other sport. Again, this disrupts the flow of play and is just bad for the players.

- Overhead and technology required to create the game/game experience. The QB and a defensive player have headsets in the helmets so the coach can relay plays to them. The 1st down line is projected into the broadcast so fans can understand where the ball needs to advance to. A competent broadcast team required to make each play comprehensible. Replay cameras, video reviews etc. Of course in the old days they didn't have any of this, but today it's pretty much needed to make the game digestible by the average fan. I'd argue no other field (or ice) sport requires this much clutter.

The NFL is a terrible game. And it's also a fantastic product. It's expertly presented and marketed. And you do see flashes of athletic brilliance, because these players are really freaks. But if it wasn't for fantasy football, and Sunday drinking, and a super-slick presentation I'm not sure where it would be. Great past-time. As an actual game it kinda sucks IMHO.

Now take Baseball and I think there are less than 5 minutes of actual action. These are not sports to watch if you like flow :laugh:! I have always got a kick out of this quote:

“Football combines two of the worst things in American life. It is violence punctuated by committee meetings.”

George F. Will

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
@ps241 @Turbofan

NFL lovers, get into Rugby League. Same concept of limited tackles (downs) to score, but play is more continuous, and the tries (touchdowns) are exhilarating. And only as long as a soccer game.
35A53A2400000578-0-image-a-4_1466837475460.jpg

Baseball players watch cricket. A T20 game might last 3hrs but in that time you’ll see the ball played 240 times. The one day format you’ll see 600 times.

Last edited:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
18 minutes of 'ball in play' time for an average baseball game apparently (according to Google). While the average NFL game has 100 commercials and 11 minutes of 'ball in play'. That's just terribad game structure and design. From a pure game design perspective, that is. From a money-making perspective, I guess it doesn't matter. Package up anything well enough and it will catch on.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
@ps241 @Turbofan

NFL lovers, get into Rugby League. Same concept of limited tackles (downs) to score, but play is more continuous, and the tries (touchdowns) are exhilarating. And only as long as a soccer game.
35A53A2400000578-0-image-a-4_1466837475460.jpg

Baseball players watch cricket. A T20 game might last 3hrs but in that time you’ll see the ball played 240 times. The one day format you’ll see 600 times.

I actually found Rugby 7's wildly entertaining during the Olympics. I could watch that.

Hockey I find almost perfect. :)

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
18 minutes of 'ball in play' time for an average baseball game apparently (according to Google). While the average NFL game has 100 commercials and 11 minutes of 'ball in play'. That's just terribad game structure and design. From a pure game design perspective, that is. From a money-making perspective, I guess it doesn't matter. Package up anything well enough and it will catch on.
I've always viewed both football (moreso NFL than CFL) and baseball as convenient excuses to do mass marketing while being exciting in very short bursts. Both are ideal for television with long gaps in play for commercials. In person both have ample time to get more concessions down your gullet and get back and forth from the bathroom in ample time to likely not miss much of anything. The sports themselves seem almost secondary. But they do have the merit of social outings of grand proportions. If you go to a hockey game with someone you're not overly fond of you can just watch the game and little conversation is required. Not so at a baseball or football game. The single most boring experience of my life was a baseball game in the old metrodome sitting out in left field. And I was with three other people I genuinely liked. There is, surprisingly, a limit to the amount of beer and peanuts one can consume in an afternoon. But I did get to see Kirby play. :nod:

Reactions: ps241

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I actually found Rugby 7's wildly entertaining during the Olympics. I could watch that.

Hockey I find almost perfect. :)

7s is excellent. I haven’t watched for a few years though.

I wasn’t used to commercials during play so even getting used to the NHL was hard.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've always viewed both football (moreso NFL than CFL) and baseball as convenient excuses to do mass marketing while being exciting in very short bursts. Both are ideal for television with long gaps in play for commercials. In person both have ample time to get more concessions down your gullet and get back and forth from the bathroom in ample time to likely not miss much of anything. The sports themselves seem almost secondary. But they do have the merit of social outings of grand proportions. If you go to a hockey game with someone you're not overly fond of you can just watch the game and little conversation is required. Not so at a baseball or football game. The single most boring experience of my life was a baseball game in the old metrodome sitting out in left field. And I was with three other people I genuinely liked. There is, surprisingly, a limit to the amount of beer and peanuts one can consume in an afternoon. But I did get to see Kirby play. :nod:

Yea North American sports are pretty crass when you come down to it. Even Basketball is a f***ing joke in North America the way we grind it to a halt late and totally overcoach it. The last minute takes forever. Are the players really that stupid that they have to stop and talk about it that much. That is a sport where they insert the NHL shoot out in every close game. At the end of the day the fans of the game probably like it that way but it turned me off the sport.

I went to a game at Yankee stadium this fall with my wife and I remember catching myself thinking I can’t believe this many people come out to watch nothing happen? That being said it was a nothing game and the game is very dramatic in the playoffs on tv.

I remember when I first started watching English football and thinking thank god we didn’t get our hands in it first or we would have ruined it. The first time I went and watched it live I was shocked by how quick it goes.... they kept the play going and only stopped for half time and injuries. How the hell do you sling soap and cars with that format?

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sports in North America are designed specifically to increase the advertising opportunities to their maximum exposure.

On average, it took a record 3 hours, 5 minutes and 11 seconds to complete a baseball game in MLB last season. Back in the 1920s it averaged as low as 1:25 and as high as 1:53. Up until 1947 games were still under 2 hours then they went up to 2:30 from 1947 until 1990, when they started to hit 3 hours. The reason for the slight increase the last few seasons is because of the "review" calls.

Baseball is one of those things you just have to love to be able to watch it. Just some free advise.. keep score. Seriously... get a score card, some pencils, and keep score down to the balls and strikes. You will find the game far less "boring".

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I remember when I first started watching English football and thinking thank god we didn’t get our hands in it first or we would have ruined it. The first time I went and watched it live I was shocked by how quick it goes.... they kept the play going and only stopped for half time and injuries. How the hell do you sling soap and cars with that format?

I love how fast the games are, but you do have to remember, the entire game is one big advertisement. The players wear ads, the sidelines have the ad boards, the refs even wear ads. Maybe this is the way to go. Flood the playing facility and the players with ads, but cut out the commercial stoppages.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the slow pace of the two traditionally big US spectator sports is/was part of the attraction. You can go to a baseball game, chat with your friends, order some beer and food, wander around a bit - you only have to pay attention occasionally for short spurts. Football is similar - lots of downtime between plays for socializing...you can devote your attention to the field for a few seconds out of every minute or so. With soccer especially, and also hockey and basketball the action runs almost continuously (except for the last few minutes of a basketball game where time itself hits the brakes and a minute becomes an hour). It's quite different than the football/baseball experience. I don't know if I have a point here...Americans like to shoot the bull and socialize more at sporting events?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Yea North American sports are pretty crass when you come down to it. Even Basketball is a ****ing joke in North America the way we grind it to a halt late and totally overcoach it. The last minute takes forever. Are the players really that stupid that they have to stop and talk about it that much.

In Rugby the coaches aren’t even on the sidelines with the players. They’re up in a press box. They do have headset communication for substitution and general tactics but the game really is directed by the players.

Playing continuously would also lead to a completely different kind of fitness required of the players. Endurance vs sheer explosive power. I’d like to watch more American football cause the sport does seem pretty interesting... I’m guessing you have to look to college or even high school ball to lose a lot of the ad breaks though?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
I think the slow pace of the two traditionally big US spectator sports is/was part of the attraction. You can go to a baseball game, chat with your friends, order some beer and food, wander around a bit - you only have to pay attention occasionally for short spurts.

But why would you pay for the privilege to do that? I dunno, I feel like if I go to a live sports event I’d want to be more occupied by the sport or I wouldn’t feel like I was getting my money’s worth.

Having said that we have terrible problems with toilet and concession lines at rugby games here because no one wants to go during play. The Jets game I went to felt like a nice balance. Just enough ad breaks to get up and pee and chat to the person with me, but still plenty of hockey.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Baseball is one of those things you just have to love to be able to watch it. Just some free advise.. keep score. Seriously... get a score card, some pencils, and keep score down to the balls and strikes. You will find the game far less "boring".

Yeah, I remember 3 hour meetings being so much better when I had to take minutes. :sarcasm:

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Well its military night in Winnipeg so....

challenges.jpg

Go Jets Go

297.png

What you shouldn't take away from the Tide Pod challenge: Idiots doing idiot things for attention. That's been a thing for forever.

What you should take away from the Tide Pod challenge: The way the current generation jokes with and deals with mental illness and suicide.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
297.png

What you shouldn't take away from the Tide Pod challenge: Idiots doing idiot things for attention. That's been a thing for forever.

What you should take away from the Tide Pod challenge: The way the current generation jokes with and deals with mental illness and suicide.

Well this old man's twin sister committed suicide so I wasn't trying to be funny I was actually being serious if kids today want to eat a Tide Pod well guess what when I grew up we didn't have the internet to lookup if what we were about to do was dangerous but kids do have access and still they do stupid dangerous things due to peer pressure or whatever it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad