Post-Game Talk: Jets lose crucial game 3-1

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
When the team purposely ignores the top country for hockey talent (as per distribution of scouts), then it proves you statement correct. The team has floated on their reputation for drafting well the first few seasons for years now, their drafting in recent years (last draft too early to tell) has kinda stunk.
So how to you figure the Jets ignore Canada? Over the last 5 drafts the Jets have drafted 9 Canadians, 5 Americans, 5 Swedes, 4 Finns, 2 Russians and 1 player from Belarus. And our only top 10 pick in the span was a Canadian. And please share how each one of the Jets 20 amateur and pro scouts are distributed.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
When the team purposely ignores the top country for hockey talent (as per distribution of scouts), then it proves you statement correct. The team has floated on their reputation for drafting well the first few seasons for years now, their drafting in recent years (last draft too early to tell) has kinda stunk.

The US is rapidly catching up, if not already caught up, to Canada. The NCAA is a superior development program to the CHL, in my opinion.

I'm looking at the past few drafts and I can't see anyone from Canada that I would've picked over the player the Jets picked, at least in the first couple of rounds.

The implication that you have to be Canadian to have the right attitude is also pretty false.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
The US is rapidly catching up, if not already caught up, to Canada. The NCAA is a superior development program to the CHL, in my opinion.

I'm looking at the past few drafts and I can't see anyone from Canada that I would've picked over the player the Jets picked, at least in the first couple of rounds.

The implication that you have to be Canadian to have the right attitude is also pretty false.
Yup US has been killing it the past few years. This was something I looked at early July 2022 so pretty sure it has that draft included as well

The Jets just need to get better at drafting all around.

Since 2019 there've been 125 first rd picks

18 selections came from USNTDP teams. 23 overall from the USHL from what I am seeing (OHL for comparison has 19, WHL has 24, Q has 13). Another 4 from the big 10 as well.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yup US has been killing it the past few years. This was something I looked at early July 2022 so pretty sure it has that draft included as well

Yeah I really like the US development path. The NTDP is a great place to build skills and the NCAA produces some excellent pros. The Don Cherry "Canada is best!" attitude would only hold back the drafting on this team.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah I really like the US development path. The NTDP is a great place to build skills and the NCAA produces some excellent pros. The Don Cherry "Canada is best!" attitude would only hold back the drafting on this team.
Yeah over the years the next Canadian picked in the 1st really doesn't put us in a much better position imo. Even the last Canadian they selected in 2020 they might have been better or at least a similar spot with the next non-canadian in Lundell. But in the rounds after the 1st this team needs to improve drastically.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad