McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
That proposal was never for a rental. It's right there in the original post and the multiple subsequent follow ups that it is a proposal based around a signed Mark Stone.

I see.
Ok well your proposing something that essentially NEVER happens (sign and trade).
Still seems crazy.
That would be 3 straight years of no 1st round pick for the Jets.
Not a smart way to manage a team in today's NHL.
Especially when you consider how good the Jets have been at drafting in the 1st round.

I'm pretty sure I'd support what ever move Chevy makes here.
The Jets staff has way more info and insight then us yahoo fans.
We all just hope for the cheapest deal or biggest return depending on what side of the fence we are on.

Reactions: larmex99

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Follow the context of the thread. The individual I responded to in this message from 4 days ago had asked what had happened to the alleged interest in Duchene.

PS If you were to go backwards to 12 hours prior to the Stastny trade being announced there was chat either on the main boards or on St. Louis of Stastny being moved. It was one of the last things I had read before falling asleep that night.

Chevy & the Jets organization may be tight lipped, but that doesn't mean the organizations he speaks with act in the same manner.

That's likely true I just meant the actual TV media had no idea.
Stastny was on none of their "trade board" segments and there were no rumors linked to the Jets through them.
Seeing it posted on HF is sort of like throwing s%&t at a wall... eventually something will stick.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
That's likely the case, but I don't think you should be talking in absolutes. Anything could happen, including a sign and trade. Dorion is a bad GM, but he's been involved in a couple sign and trades already in his short tenure as GM where you can't completely rule it out as a possible scenario.
Not a sign and trade, but something like Turris or the Hanifin/Lindholm trade.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I watched the game last night to see what Niku was like given all the hype around him being a piece in a Stone trade. Not what I expected. Looked like a timid version of Max LaJoie. I didn't see much interesting, but it's one game and I'm not a pro scout.

Tanev and Lemieux both looked like role players I'd want on my team.

Agreed. Niku is going to be a top four one day, but he isnt an NHL regular on a contender yet. Skill wise hes already there, just lacks the experience. He is still a 2015 7th round pick.

Tanev and Lemieux will never be high skill guys, but they are perfect cheap role players that are still getting better.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I watched the game last night to see what Niku was like given all the hype around him being a piece in a Stone trade. Not what I expected. Looked like a timid version of Max LaJoie. I didn't see much interesting, but it's one game and I'm not a pro scout.

Agreed. Niku is going to be a top four one day, but he isnt an NHL regular on a contender yet. Skill wise hes already there, just lacks the experience. He is still a 2015 7th round pick.

Tanev and Lemieux will never be high skill guys, but they are perfect cheap role players that are still getting better.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
I'm not suggesting at all that Conner should be in the deal.
That was the entire idea of the series of posts you were replying to. A Sens fan suggested trading Connor for Stone. To which Jets fans replied, no deal as it is a lateral move in that case. You took exception to Jets fans saying it was a lateral move in that case.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
That was the entire idea of the series of posts you were replying to. A Sens fan suggested trading Connor for Stone. To which Jets fans replied, no deal as it is a lateral move in that case. You took exception to Jets fans saying it was a lateral move in that case.

I don't think it's a lateral move at all. Stone is much better and a signed Stone is worth considerably more than Connor, that was my point. I was never advocating the Jets trade him for Stone now when they are trying to win a Cup.

Reactions: SensFactor

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I don't think it's a lateral move at all. Stone is much better and a signed Stone is worth considerably more than Connor, that was my point. I was never advocating the Jets trade him for Stone now when they are trying to win a Cup.

I don't think you are 100% accounting for the age difference and contract differences.
Connor is still RFA for 4 years, Stone is not.
Connor scored more goals last year then Stone had in his longer career.

Stone's worth more in the moment but that may not be the case in a couple of years.
Stone value decreases before Connor hits his peak.

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
6M $ a season for Ehlers is a LOT too much !

What are you talking about?
Ehlers is a first line winger.
Many of those guys are getting paid more and with the next couple of years signings we will see a huge jump in those salaries.

Ehlers makes Scheif and Wheeler better when he plays with them.
He's one of the fastest guys in the NHL and one of the best at carrying the puck and making moves at top speed.
He can score.
He's elite at zone exits and zone entries.

A 30 - 40 goal scorer with game breaking speed who is only 23.
Ya what an over paid bum.

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

It's too bad Scheif lost that last faceoff when Niku was on the ice with them.
We never got the puck back before the Sens goal.
Watching Niku with the puck in 3 on 3 was fricking electric the last time he did it.
He's crazy fast and reminds me a bit of Ehlers in how he can fly with the puck.

Check out the last Jets vs Knights game.
Niku looks tremendous in that game.

Reactions: Neiler

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca

Niku has only played a handful of games with the Jets. Most of his games have been similar but he has shown flashes of being very good. He needs a bit more experience to get his confidence up.

Reactions: Flair Hay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad