McKenzie: Jets likely pursuing Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
No it is pretty much lateral. Connor is younger and will be cheaper and scored more goals as a rookie than Stone ever has.

Stone is far superior. Thanks for coming out though! I don't even want Connor. I want to keep Stone no matter how unlikely that is.

Reactions: SensFactor

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Stone is far superior. Thanks for coming out though! I don't even want Connor. I want to keep Stone no matter how unlikely that is.
Cool. You keep working at that, because you have no chance at Connor.

You would hope Stone would be better being 4 years older, but it still doesn't change the fact that as a rookie, Connor scored more goals than Stone ever has. Far superior. Lol

Reactions: Fairview

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Did Chevy tell the boys not to hit Stone tonight?
I thought it was interesting that they focused on Stone for half the National anthem. I thought the look on his face was interesting, too. I read it as "guess I'm not going to play here during the playoffs." Not more than 3 games anyway.

I feel pretty strongly that the odds of a Stone to Winnipeg trade have taken a nosedive with this not having been done before the game tonight. If it does happen, I think it's much closer to the deadline and one side's backup plan has disappeared or someone's decided to come off their valuation.

Reactions: robertocarlos

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Dorion and the Sens are leaking rumours to the media constantly. The Jets should focus on other options and wait for Dorion to circle back around when he's ready to deal without the drama. Let Dorion find out what other teams are offering and see if Chevy wants to top it.

Reactions: Stej and Flair Hay

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

You would hope Stone would be better being 4 years older, but it still doesn't change the fact that as a rookie, Connor scored more goals than Stone ever has. Far superior. Lol
We aren't getting Connor back in this trade, Winnipeg isn't giving him up in the middle of the season. Any sens fans who thinks otherwise is out to lunch.

But this would be far from lateral Stone is a significant upgrade right now. Could it be lateral when connor hits this prime? Maybe, but still probably not.

Stone is one of the best two way wingers in the league. Using goals as the only metric is pretty stupid. Connor has basically matched Patrice Bergeron's career high, but him in his prime would be lateral too right?

Reactions: RWatson29

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Goals are everything? Being older equals better? Stone is the best 2 way winger in the league. You know why he's so elite? His IQ. He anticipates plays before they happen. That's why he always leads the league in takeaways. When you combine someone that smart, with that work ethic, leadership, desire to win, defensive ability and you add all that to the skill that he has, you get a pretty special hockey player. If Stone was a Jet and Connor was a Sen, you'd be singing a different tune.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Goals are everything? Being older equals better? Stone is the best 2 way winger in the league. You know why he's so elite? His IQ. He anticipates plays before they happen. That's why he always leads the league in takeaways. When you combine someone that smart, with that work ethic, leadership, desire to win, defensive ability and you add all that to the skill that he has, you get a pretty special hockey player. If Stone was a Jet and Connor was a Sen, you'd be singing a different tune.

You make some valid points, but a contending team wants to add Stone to their existing roster, without subtracting such a key contributor as Connor. The point of the deadline is to absolutely load up to be near unstoppable. Losing Connor defeats the whole purpose of acquiring Stone in the first place, no matter how good Stone is.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
You make some valid points, but a contending team wants to add Stone to their existing roster, without subtracting such a key contributor as Connor. The point of the deadline is to absolutely load up to be near unstoppable. Losing Connor defeats the whole purpose of acquiring Stone in the first place, no matter how good Stone is.

I'm not suggesting at all that Conner should be in the deal.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Dorion and the Sens are leaking rumours to the media constantly. The Jets should focus on other options and wait for Dorion to circle back around when he's ready to deal without the drama. Let Dorion find out what other teams are offering and see if Chevy wants to top it.

Panarin not withstanding, there are no other comparable options to Stone.....

Reactions: topshelf15

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Panarin not withstanding, there are no other comparable options to Stone.....
I agree, but the price will still be determined by the bidders. The winning bid just has to be a bit better than the next best. The market is going to dictate the value, as it always does. Right now, buyers can see a diversity of options at various price points so they can hold firm on the prices they are willing to pay.

Reactions: Snowman

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
My goodness, in the pages of this thread Stone has gone from being a great player, to elite, to one of the best two way wingers in the game, to THE best two way winger in the game.

By the trade deadline he should be generational.

Stej

Jul 28, 2006
The Kirk
At this point I kind of hope Vegas blows their brains out to get Stone and then he signs in Winnipeg in the offseason. Kind of a reverse Stastny if you will.

Jets pick up Staal as a pure rental from Minny for a fraction of the price and circle back in the summer.

And, yes, I know that Stone signing with the Jets in July would be far from a sure thing. Somehow life will go on even if he doesn’t end up with the Jets. Chevy has so many options moving forward and lots of moving pieces to play with.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Winnipeg probably scared off Stone this past week with their poor play.

If he signs in Ottawa, you're welcome!

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
At this point I kind of hope Vegas blows their brains out to get Stone and then he signs in Winnipeg in the offseason. Kind of a reverse Stastny if you will.

Jets pick up Staal as a pure rental from Minny for a fraction of the price and circle back in the summer.

Yes please! On all fronts.

The only thing I would have to add is that Vegas loses in the 3rd round and Jets to to SC finals ;)

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Lol, if Stone is re-signed we are almost definitely getting Connor back.

Connor+Niku+1st(conditional)+Comrie+Appleton/Lemieux

For Duchene and signed Stone

Connor+Niku for signed Stone

1st(Peg makes Western conference finals or becomes a 2nd)+appleton/Lemieux+comrie for Duchene

There's no way you're getting a premium 22 year old RFA 30 goal scorer back no matter who your trade partner is, extension in place or not. If you're expecting that you're going to be very disappointed.

That being said, there has to be some sort of compensation for Stone extending with the Jets but I assure you it's not a Connor level guy. They would sooner just keep Connor than trade for Stone at all if that were the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snowman

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
So some sort of combo of 1st, 2nd, niku, petan, Appleton, Lemieux, vesalainen?? Any other obvious players we are missing ??

Jets are comfortable down the middle? Prefer to go stone/winger route?

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
I watched the game last night to see what Niku was like given all the hype around him being a piece in a Stone trade. Not what I expected. Looked like a timid version of Max LaJoie. I didn't see much interesting, but it's one game and I'm not a pro scout.

Tanev and Lemieux both looked like role players I'd want on my team.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I watched the game last night to see what Niku was like given all the hype around him being a piece in a Stone trade. Not what I expected. Looked like a timid version of Max LaJoie. I didn't see much interesting, but it's one game and I'm not a pro scout.

Tanev and Lemieux both looked like role players I'd want on my team.

Tanev should in no way be included in a deal the guy is older and UFA. If we want a guy like him, with the cap space/salary commitments that we'll have, we'll be able to sign him in FA or someone similar.

Agreed on Niku though, I think he'll be good but that was an ordinary game for him, his skating is weird isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad