South Kildonan
attachment.php

Some mad phtoshop skills....

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Save for an offer sheet it is hard to believe trading the assets it would take would be a good move. Having Subban would be so sweet though...

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
If we added Subban, one of Byfuglien, Bogosian or Subban would be on the 3rd pairing. We are loaded with RH D, both currently on the roster and prospects. Personally if I were going to move the assets (trade and $$$) that we'd have to for Subban, I'd be looking for a solid top 4 LH D or a top 6 forward.

Last edited:

flyingjay

Jun 25, 2012
Winnipeg
I really don't see how the Jets are interested in Subban. And that has nothing to do with Subban the player, or the person.

Would a top 4 of Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, and Subban be absolutely amazing? For sure. But to have that top 4, what do we have to sacrifice? And by sacrifice, I mean both in terms of what we would need to send to Montreal, and secondly, what would we have to sacrifice from a team contract / salary standpoint to make it work?

Would we be sending one of our forwards? If not, a top prospect like Scheifele or Trouba? If it's a forward (Little, Burmistrov, etc), do we have enough forward depth to make it worthwhile? Kane? Why would the Jets trade Kane? We have Bogo and Trouba as young defensive studs and studs in training. Who would we have as a young forward stud if we traded Kane?

And from a cap perspective, how would the cap look in a year or two when all 4 D (Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, Subban) are making 5 million plus? Could we fill out a competitive forward group to go along with that?

That's a reason why I don't see why we would want to deal Trouba. At some point in the next 2-3 years, Bogosian is going to get a raise, but when Trouba joins the team he's going to be on an ELC. That is one thing I think GM's need to manage to make serious cup runs. I think you need to have a few guys either on ELC's or low 2nd contracts that are OUTPLAYING those deals.

Nothing against Subban, I just don't see how it fits organizationally.

Great post IMO. After we re-upped Enstrom in the off season, it firmed up our D for the foreseeable future (assuming we ink Bogo long-term...which we will). I really don't see Subban fitting in contract-wise. At this point, we need to spend our schillings on Wheeler and another top forward.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
I really don't see how the Jets are interested in Subban. And that has nothing to do with Subban the player, or the person.

Would a top 4 of Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, and Subban be absolutely amazing? For sure. But to have that top 4, what do we have to sacrifice? And by sacrifice, I mean both in terms of what we would need to send to Montreal, and secondly, what would we have to sacrifice from a team contract / salary standpoint to make it work?

Would we be sending one of our forwards? If not, a top prospect like Scheifele or Trouba? If it's a forward (Little, Burmistrov, etc), do we have enough forward depth to make it worthwhile? Kane? Why would the Jets trade Kane? We have Bogo and Trouba as young defensive studs and studs in training. Who would we have as a young forward stud if we traded Kane?

And from a cap perspective, how would the cap look in a year or two when all 4 D (Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, Subban) are making 5 million plus? Could we fill out a competitive forward group to go along with that?

That's a reason why I don't see why we would want to deal Trouba. At some point in the next 2-3 years, Bogosian is going to get a raise, but when Trouba joins the team he's going to be on an ELC. That is one thing I think GM's need to manage to make serious cup runs. I think you need to have a few guys either on ELC's or low 2nd contracts that are OUTPLAYING those deals.

Nothing against Subban, I just don't see how it fits organizationally.

Next 2 to 3? Try this offseason. Bogo is an RFA at season end and will be a UFA 2 years after that. I think the Jets will try signing him long term this off-season.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Sara Orlesky just twitted that she had been told that the Jets are not going after Subban.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Next 2 to 3? Try this offseason. Bogo is an RFA at season end and will be a UFA 2 years after that. I think the Jets will try signing him long term this off-season.

True, I was thinking more about a big raise, into the 5 million plus range. Due to the lockout and his injury, I don't think Bogosian has the ability to push for 5 million on his next deal. But if he goes for another bridge contract, I could see it in 2-3 years.

The problem is that Bogo is only 2 years away from UFA status, so I can't see the Jets giving him another bridge deal.

I hope that both sides are able to come to a long term deal this offseason.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
True, I was thinking more about a big raise, into the 5 million plus range. Due to the lockout and his injury, I don't think Bogosian has the ability to push for 5 million on his next deal. But if he goes for another bridge contract, I could see it in 2-3 years.

The problem is that Bogo is only 2 years away from UFA status, so I can't see the Jets giving him another bridge deal.

Yeah unless he agrees to a one year deal. There's no way they sign him to a 2 year deal with risk of losing him to free agent upon its expiration.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Yeah unless he agrees to a one year deal. There's no way they sign him to a 2 year deal with risk of losing him to free agent upon its expiration.

If he misses most of this year, then it may make sense for both camps to do a 1 year deal, to better determine bogo's value. Trouble with bogo is he's starting to really mature into a great young dman, but what is his worth on a 6+ year deal? $4.5 to $5.5 mill/yr? Or is it less? More?

He might not want to limit his future earning power signing for less than market, but the market might not be set for him - until he plays some games.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Highly doubt they'll do that. It'll be a similar deal to Kane's. It'll probably start at around 4 and end at 6 in the final year of the seven years.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

I remain convinced (in my own mind only, nothing to back it up) that the reason Bogo had surgery was at the insistence of management. True North looked at the situation of the lockout and likely determined it to end around when it did and knew that Zach had wrist issues still, though he was going to try and play through them had there been a full season. They did this to help foster their relationship with the guy (hey dude, we'll pay you while on IR - yes, they are obligated to but it remains a goodwill gesture).

I hope and think that will go a long way into the negotiations. My guess is they'll be talking long term and will get a slight discount off market pricing. They'll try and set up the contract so that Bogo comes off the books at a point different from Enstrom and Kaner to allow some leeway to examine their situation in the future. So I'm guessing they'll go six years, about 4.5 million per average. It could get muddy with agents involved talking about potential but here's hoping Bogo sees what the organization has to offer in terms of potential and stability as well.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
If they did a one year deal couldnt Bogosian just go to arbitration and get another one year deal after?

I recall this happening to Weber.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I remain convinced (in my own mind only, nothing to back it up) that the reason Bogo had surgery was at the insistence of management. True North looked at the situation of the lockout and likely determined it to end around when it did and knew that Zach had wrist issues still, though he was going to try and play through them had there been a full season. They did this to help foster their relationship with the guy (hey dude, we'll pay you while on IR - yes, they are obligated to but it remains a goodwill gesture).

I hope and think that will go a long way into the negotiations. My guess is they'll be talking long term and will get a slight discount off market pricing. They'll try and set up the contract so that Bogo comes off the books at a point different from Enstrom and Kaner to allow some leeway to examine their situation in the future. So I'm guessing they'll go six years, about 4.5 million per average. It could get muddy with agents involved talking about potential but here's hoping Bogo sees what the organization has to offer in terms of potential and stability as well.

I hope you're right. I would be giddy with 6 years at 4.5. Heck, Bogosian might be one of the rare guys I would try to get 8 years with (at the right price of course).

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
If they did a one year deal couldnt Bogosian just go to arbitration and get another one year deal after?

I recall this happening to Weber.

Weber did go to arbitration but it wasn't one year from becomign a UFA. It was 2 years from becomign a UFA. This past off-season he signed an offer sheet from Philly rather than going to arbitration.

But the possibility would exist. I think arbitration is solely 1 year deals.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Weber did go to arbitration but it wasn't one year from becomign a UFA. It was 2 years from becomign a UFA. This past off-season he signed an offer sheet from Philly rather than going to arbitration.

But the possibility would exist. I think arbitration is solely 1 year deals.

Arbitration can be given a 2 year deal, but it's rare. Only 2 year deal I can ever remember coming from arbitration was Mike Cammalleri with the Kings. Not sure why that one was 2 years, but it was an arbitration award.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
As I said in the other thread, I wouldn't want to give up what the Habs would want to get Subban. We are talking about a part of our core for a guy who, while is immensely talented, might not fit in with the culture the team is trying to build.

Putting that aside, If the Habs are asking for Bogo, Enstrom, Buff, Trouba, Kane, the answer IMHO is absolutely not. If, however, the package includes Burmistrov, Scheifele, or Little, I would have to consider it depending on the other players/ assets involved. If they wanted Wheeler I would really be on the fence.

I don't want PK Subban if it costs us anything that includes Burmistrov, Scheifele or Little. I don't buy into Subban being anything better an asset than Bogosian and the Jets would be foolish to move Trouba in a deal to acquire him. Who is to say Trouba doesn't develop into one of the best defensive defensemen in the NHL. Burmistrov is carving his niche as a defensive forward with two dimensional potential and Scheifele I feel will be better than Subban when all is said and done. Bryan Little would not be a corner piece in a deal unless Winnipeg is to throw depth prospects around. The truth is the prospects that are almost NHL ready are not in a buy high position.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I hope you're right. I would be giddy with 6 years at 4.5. Heck, Bogosian might be one of the rare guys I would try to get 8 years with (at the right price of course).

I would go 8 yrs too with Bogo, as high as $5 mill/yr cap hit. Might turn out to be a great value contract.

Conflicted Habs fan

"Beauty will save the world" - Dostoyevsky
Sponsor
Nov 23, 2011
Montreal
5 million for two years.
If he plays tomorrow, the Jets are toast. He's going to be hungry for points and the Bleu blanc et Rouge will be pumped

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I would go 8 yrs too with Bogo, as high as $5 mill/yr cap hit. Might turn out to be a great value contract.

To get Bogo until age 31 it will take more than a 5 M cap hit. I can see him signing for 25 M over 5 years as that would make him an UFA at age 28, right in his prime earning years. But I would think Chevy might be reluctant to have Kane and Bogo become UFA at the same time.

IMO the Jets would be best served by signing Bogo to an 8 year contract, but something closer to what he would cost on the open market. Maybe $5.5 M per year might do it.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Impressed by Bergevin getting this great deal for Montreal. However I wonder what affect this is going to have once Subban becomes a UFA, will the bad blood last for that long? Subban is not going to be keen to sign with Montreal after he feels that he was taken advantage of and offered a deal below his market value.

On the positive side, Chevy must jumping up and down, this is a great deal from the standpoint of getting a comparable for contract negotiations with Bogo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad