Rumor: Jets interested in Subban?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
^ Name me 5 that are better. Hint: Bogosian is not one of them.

I don't hate Kane. If you did any research, you'd know that I have been a VERY vocal supporter of Kane for a very long time. I still support him, but Subban is MUCH more useful to this team than Kane is.

We don't need Kane. We need a guy like Subban: one of the league's best young players.

I would definitely take Bogo over PK. But, to each his own.

Karlsson
Weber (or is he too old for you?)
Pietrangelo
Letang
Doughty
Edler

I'd even add J Schultz to a 'better that PK' list.

IMO, if acquiring PK would cost ANY of Kane, Bogo or Trouba, i'd pass.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
I would definitely take Bogo over PK. But, to each his own.

Karlsson
Weber (or is he too old for you?)
Pietrangelo
Letang
Doughty
Edler

I'd even add J Schultz to a 'better that PK' list.

IMO, if acquiring PK would cost ANY of Kane, Bogo or Trouba, i'd pass.

OEL is easily one of thee best young defenseman in the league. Easily better than PK.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
OEL is easily one of thee best young defenseman in the league. Easily better than PK.

Agreed. Missed him.

Was just thinking of guys off the top of my head.

I'd add Gudbranson to a list of young dmen i would want before PK, too. Not saying he's better at this point, just i would want him on the Jets before PK.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
(...)

We don't need Kane. We need a guy like Subban: one of the league's best young players.

I would agree that:
Subban is a phenomenal young talent.
Subban is currently better than Bogosian (but it's helluva lot closer than MTL fans like to think and I'm hoping post-surgery will be even closer or better).
Everyone has opinions... including yourself.

But, I would disagree with other points and say:
We do need Kane... He's the only guy we can throw on a #1 line and it be a "true" above-average #1 line... Ladd, Jokinen and Little are more high-end 2nd liners... Wheeler can be a piece but won't carry the line.
I hate one-dimensional; it's a terrible phrase. Kane has strengths and weaknesses like every other frigin NHLer out there... including Subban. You play players in the right situations and manners to their strengths and you have no problem.
Subban for Kane to me is a lateral movement for the Jets due to just pushing our needs/strengths from one position to another.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
^You think Kane is worth more than Yakupov?!?! :biglaugh:

There isn't a single player in the Jets system that is worth Yakupov.

If Chevy offered Kane for Yak, straight up, to Steve T... you think the Oil wouldn't think long and hard about that?

Within three years, either of Kane, Bogo and Trouba might be more valuable players and the Oilers would love to move Yak, for any of them. You don't know.

My comment was, a Subban for Yak deal (with other parts) may make more sense than a PK trade to the Jets. Yak can play with Gally and the Oilers get another NHL dman, which they have few of. Makes more sense than trading PK to the Jets where adding a $4-5 million dman, with Trouba in the wings, makes little sense, imo. Why tie up $23+ million of your cap on a few dmen?

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
If Chevy offered Kane for Yak, straight up, to Steve T... you think the Oil wouldn't think long and hard about that?

Within three years, either of Kane, Bogo and Trouba might be more valuable players and the Oilers would love to move Yak, for any of them. You don't know.

My comment was, a Subban for Yak deal (with other parts) may make more sense than a PK trade to the Jets. Yak can play with Gally and the Oilers get another NHL dman, which they have few of. Makes more sense than trading PK to the Jets where adding a $4-5 million dman, with Trouba in the wings, makes little sense, imo. Why tie up $23+ million of your cap on a few dmen?

The Oil are skilled, but small and weak up front. You think they wouldn't love a power forward like Kane?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
The Oil are skilled, but small and weak up front. You think they wouldn't love a power forward like Kane?

I agree. I'm saying they would love to get Kane, even if Yak went the other way. I don't think the Jets would make that move though.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
I agree. I'm saying they would love to get Kane, even if Yak went the other way. I don't think the Jets would make that move though.

I was agreeing with you in your argument. I can really see the Oil making a move of Hall or Eberle to gain some speed and strength up front.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I was agreeing with you in your argument. I can really see the Oil making a move of Hall or Eberle to gain some speed and strength up front.

I agree. That team is so soft that Mikael Backlund of all people was crashing the net and pushing them around the other day :laugh:

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I really don't get why the Jets would be interested in Subban. Right shooting defense is our area of least need. We have the unique and lovable offensive machine in Buff, a fan fovorite and budding star in Bogo, and arguably the best d-man prospect in hockey with Trouba.

If Chevy wants to make a splash and obtain an impact player wouldn't it make much more sense to actually get one at a position of need?

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I really don't see how the Jets are interested in Subban. And that has nothing to do with Subban the player, or the person.

Would a top 4 of Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, and Subban be absolutely amazing? For sure. But to have that top 4, what do we have to sacrifice? And by sacrifice, I mean both in terms of what we would need to send to Montreal, and secondly, what would we have to sacrifice from a team contract / salary standpoint to make it work?

Would we be sending one of our forwards? If not, a top prospect like Scheifele or Trouba? If it's a forward (Little, Burmistrov, etc), do we have enough forward depth to make it worthwhile? Kane? Why would the Jets trade Kane? We have Bogo and Trouba as young defensive studs and studs in training. Who would we have as a young forward stud if we traded Kane?

And from a cap perspective, how would the cap look in a year or two when all 4 D (Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, Subban) are making 5 million plus? Could we fill out a competitive forward group to go along with that?

That's a reason why I don't see why we would want to deal Trouba. At some point in the next 2-3 years, Bogosian is going to get a raise, but when Trouba joins the team he's going to be on an ELC. That is one thing I think GM's need to manage to make serious cup runs. I think you need to have a few guys either on ELC's or low 2nd contracts that are OUTPLAYING those deals.

Nothing against Subban, I just don't see how it fits organizationally.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
PK is the #1 D in Mtl and he would be on a number of other teams. He would probably be a #1 Phi, Det, Tor, NYI, Car, Cgy, Tampa, NJ, Col, Dal, Edm, Fla and maybe SJ or Min. He would be a #1B in a couple other spots.

PK is a fabulous player, but he would be an oddly placed 3/4 here. If he was a left D, he and Bogo would be an amazing pair, but I can't see the Jets giving up what it takes to get him, especially when when a number of teams would use and value him as a #1.

bain19

Mar 1, 2012
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    197.9 KB · Views: 98

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
pk is worth more then you want to offer.no way the habs deal him for quantity. Kane, Bogo, Scheifele, Trouba, 1st are pieces that you will have to offer to get him....

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
pk is worth more then you want to offer.no way the habs deal him for quantity. Kane, Bogo, Scheifele, Trouba, 1st are pieces that you will have to offer to get him....

Offer sheet. Mid 1st round pick, mid third round pick. That's it.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Offer sheet. Mid 1st round pick, mid third round pick. That's it.

I can't imagine the habs not matcing. I don't mind acquiring Subban under this scenario (offer sheet), but not by giving up a young piece that you've drafted, like Kane, Bogo or Trouba.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I really don't see how the Jets are interested in Subban. And that has nothing to do with Subban the player, or the person.

Would a top 4 of Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, and Subban be absolutely amazing? For sure. But to have that top 4, what do we have to sacrifice? And by sacrifice, I mean both in terms of what we would need to send to Montreal, and secondly, what would we have to sacrifice from a team contract / salary standpoint to make it work?

Would we be sending one of our forwards? If not, a top prospect like Scheifele or Trouba? If it's a forward (Little, Burmistrov, etc), do we have enough forward depth to make it worthwhile? Kane? Why would the Jets trade Kane? We have Bogo and Trouba as young defensive studs and studs in training. Who would we have as a young forward stud if we traded Kane?

And from a cap perspective, how would the cap look in a year or two when all 4 D (Enstrom, Buff, Bogo, Subban) are making 5 million plus? Could we fill out a competitive forward group to go along with that?

That's a reason why I don't see why we would want to deal Trouba. At some point in the next 2-3 years, Bogosian is going to get a raise, but when Trouba joins the team he's going to be on an ELC. That is one thing I think GM's need to manage to make serious cup runs. I think you need to have a few guys either on ELC's or low 2nd contracts that are OUTPLAYING those deals.

Nothing against Subban, I just don't see how it fits organizationally.

Have to agree with all of this. No knock on Subban at all, he's a tremendous talent and would help the Jets. But the cost would be too damaging initially in the forwards/picks it would remove from the team and going forward in terms of the cost against the cap. We just couldn't afford to keep our top four D.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I think P.K. is a good young player with nice potential. I just don't see us having a need for him to fill. Whatever it takes to get him would CREATE a team need. Ultimately acquiring him would make us worse overall IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad