Post-Game Talk: Jets hit break on a good note!

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
now that Hendricks has helped our dressing room, with his positive attitude and work ethic(sarc) lets send him down to help the Moose team. Don't want him going down by himself so Petan can go with him.

Lipon had 2 goals last night bring him up and play him with Copp and Lemeuix.

Petan has potential but is not ready or his game does not fit the NHL game.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Great discussions.
For me I’d like the mindset to be a restart coming out of the break .
If we can dismiss coaching and effort levels so far , we certainly need to apply this to Mason as well.
Still think in spite of this uneven start that this team has the horses to go far.
The next few games actually are a real test of this teams determination.
No gimmie’s here.
I really hope our D plays more consistently and that Mason can get a few W’s and Helle can keep winning.
No sense in complaining about the first 7
Let’s move on and hopefully get this teams identity figured out .
GJG

supersonic jet

Jun 22, 2014
Winnipeg
now that Hendricks has helped our dressing room, with his positive attitude and work ethic(sarc) lets send him down to help the Moose team. Don't want him going down by himself so Petan can go with him.

I am having flashbacks to Derf and Pavs

After 2 games playing for vastly superior defensively Rangers(cough) Pavs is sporting a .860 save % and a GA 3.76

Reactions: ps241 and Eyeseeing

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Great discussions.
For me I’d like the mindset to be a restart coming out of the break .
If we can dismiss coaching and effort levels so far , we certainly need to apply this to Mason as well.
Still think in spite of this uneven start that this team has the horses to go far.
The next few games actually are a real test of this teams determination.
No gimmie’s here.
I really hope our D plays more consistently and that Mason can get a few W’s and Helle can keep winning.
No sense in complaining about the first 7
Let’s move on and hopefully get this teams identity figured out .
GJG
Sounds pretty optimistic to me :) Good post. And agreed the next stretch won't be easy and now would be the ideal time to bring it to the next level.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Sounds pretty optimistic to me :) Good post. And agreed the next stretch won't be easy and now would be the ideal time to bring it to the next level.
Thanks KB
The games have had several different feels to them......
Hard to put into words

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Seems to be a few on here that support petan - I have no idea why. Putting him on the top line doesn't make any sense unless the idea is to put a poor or struggling player on each line to even things out.
Petan's a bust and it's not the coaches fault - he just doesn't get it done.

It worked for s brief moment with copp on the first line last year

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
After 2 games playing for vastly superior defensively Rangers(cough) Pavs is sporting a .860 save % and a GA 3.76

I like the humour!

I am torn on the one hand Pavs seems like a good guy and I want the best for him. On the other hand if he continues to fail and flounder like he did here for the vast majority of his career maybe our org and "veteranists" like Beyak can wake the f*** up and learn a lesson.

*veteranist is an old school person who doesn't care about skill only about tenure. So a "veteran Starter" like Pavs was always a great thing in Dennis's mind even though Pavs Sucked.

Pavs was a key cog in rebuilding our talent base though so I should be a bit more grateful.

Reactions: Evil Little

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

Both the team and players have been clear hendricks was always going to be on 4th line. But the person that might find himself going down with petan is copp. When we are all healthy it looks like maurice will run mathias hendricks and tanev and not copp on 4th line. It seems he trusts tanev more then copp and he acctually is playing better right now. If they run 8 dmen then dano is the only guy that would have to clear waivers and they might elect to keep him up. If they dont move dano or send poolman down i can see copp being sent down.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What do you guys think of signing Jerome Iginla ?? ( 3-rd line)

I was very impressed with the Leafs signing Patrick Marleau - they have some good talent management keeping their eyes open to give the Leafs an "edge." Marleau still brings decent speed, veteran presence, and can score, and is scoring.( I'm impressed)

I hear Iginla still wants to play, was a former 50 goal scorer. He's a gritty tough player, and people say he's a little slow now. If the Jet's signed him for a good price, and played him on the 3-rd line, with fast players, he would score quite a few goals. This is what the Jet's need, and that's scoring on the 3-rd line.

What do you guys think of this ???

Bring him in after the Olympics of we're in the playoff hunt

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
What do you guys think of signing Jerome Iginla ?? ( 3-rd line)

I was very impressed with the Leafs signing Patrick Marleau - they have some good talent management keeping their eyes open to give the Leafs an "edge." Marleau still brings decent speed, veteran presence, and can score, and is scoring.( I'm impressed)

I hear Iginla still wants to play, was a former 50 goal scorer. He's a gritty tough player, and people say he's a little slow now. If the Jet's signed him for a good price, and played him on the 3-rd line, with fast players, he would score quite a few goals. This is what the Jet's need, and that's scoring on the 3-rd line.

What do you guys think of this ???

Point totals of last 4 seasons (most recent first):
Iginla 27, 47, 59, 61
Marleau 46, 48, 57, 70

Iginla is 40 and it seems apparent he's no Jagr or Selänne in that respect. I know point totals is just one part of the picture, but to my eye Marleau has been a lot better past couple seasons (though admittedly I didn't see much of Iginla 2015-2016) and he is couple years younger which means a lot when you're around 40. There's just no way around aging. Every once in a while there are people like Jagr or Selänne who defy all odds, but that's rare. When Selänne was 40 he was over PPG and still playing arguably some of the best hockey of his career, only compromise being he had to sacrifice some muscle/strength to lose weight and be able to retain his speed. Not that he ever was a power forward, but in his peak he was still pretty strong, while by 40 he was pretty easy to push over. Iginla however hasn't been playing anywhere close to his peak level these past few years and I don't see how he'd suddenly find a second wind at his age. I just don't quite see what Iginla would bring to the team, while Marleau I think still would be a player who could help Jets have depth in the top-3 lines.

With the current roster Top-9 could be something like
Laine - Scheifele - Copp/Armia
Ehlers - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Lowry - Perreault

I can't see a player in that I'd push aside for Iginla. If you switched Ehlers with Connor, then the 3rd line would be stronger with slight less stacking of the top-6. What I like about the lines I presented is having Scheif & Laine together for ultimate offensive threat and then you can have a 3rd player who is more of a worker and doesn't have to be top skilled offensively. For the one game Copp was in that role it looked good, but I think Armia could be the best fit for that role the Jets have. He has decent offensive potential and last season he looked awesome on PK, corner battles etc. 2nd line I don't think much needs to be said of, and you could probably roll the 2 lines as 1a / 1b or switch whoever gets more minutes depending on the game/opposition. The 3rd line in that configuration I hope would still be able to provide a lot more offence than currently, while still not be a liability defensively. Then on a tight spot you could always completely stack the first line depending on who looks hot on a given night, so you could have Laine/Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler/Perreault for example. Or more defensive if that's what is needed.

IMO Jets have very good wingers, if looking for a veteran forward, a solid two-way center would be the ticket for stronger top-9. I don't have anything against Lowry, he seems OK as a 3rd center and with Connor & Perreault maybe the offence would be there.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Got to say that Enstrom had a good game , and I'm not a real fan of his but hopefully he plays like this more often . Last season we played way to many games without much of a break to start the year and this year it's the exact opposite , happy medium maybe NHL schedule maker . I cannot believe how many games that the Jets come out flat in the 2nd periods , just like last year , Maurice has to get this fixed fast . Go JETS Go .

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Did you not read the first part of his reply? King literally said I think we can play much better. And I agree, although it is nice being 4-3.

Yes, I read that. I agree. That's the problem. We could have played much better and didn't. That is disturbing unless it is just a blip on the radar. If it is that then coming through 3-3 mitigated the damage. Onward and upward. OTOH if those first 6 games were any indication of how we are going to play going forward we are in big trouble.

Every body else seems happy to just put that stretch behind us. We won our last game and looked better doing it. Amazing how 1 win changes the outlook. I will go along with the crowd and hope we never see another stretch like that again. Right now we are in good shape and have this break to work on the weaknesses and get healthy again. I will try to be more positive. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eyeseeing

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yes, I read that. I agree. That's the problem. We could have played much better and didn't. That is disturbing unless it is just a blip on the radar. If it is that then coming through 3-3 mitigated the damage. Inward and upward. OTOH if those first 6 games were any indication of how we are going to play going forward we are in big trouble.

Every body else seems happy to just put that stretch behind us. We won our last game and looked better doing it. Amazing how 1 win changes the outlook. I will go along with the crowd and hope we never see another stretch like that again. Right now we are in good shape and have this break to work on the weaknesses and get healthy again. I will try to be more positive. :)

What's not disturbing is it really hasn't cost us much in the standings and there does appear to be improvements. The trend is in the right direction

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I like the humour!

I am torn on the one hand Pavs seems like a good guy and I want the best for him. On the other hand if he continues to fail and flounder like he did here for the vast majority of his career maybe our org and "veteranists" like Beyak can wake the **** up and learn a lesson.

*veteranist is an old school person who doesn't care about skill only about tenure. So a "veteran Starter" like Pavs was always a great thing in Dennis's mind even though Pavs Sucked.

Pavs was a key cog in rebuilding our talent base though so I should be a bit more grateful.
No they make animal noises without moving their lips

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

It is nothing like Derf and Pavs. Pav had plenty of opportunity and then some. Just a totally different situation and discussion.

That said I like Lipon on the 4th line better than Petan. Petan still has a lot of potential. Leave him in the A for a while, playing on a wing. Don't bring him back until he is ready.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Both the team and players have been clear hendricks was always going to be on 4th line. But the person that might find himself going down with petan is copp. When we are all healthy it looks like maurice will run mathias hendricks and tanev and not copp on 4th line. It seems he trusts tanev more then copp and he acctually is playing better right now. If they run 8 dmen then dano is the only guy that would have to clear waivers and they might elect to keep him up. If they dont move dano or send poolman down i can see copp being sent down.

Copp requires waivers - and I doubt he clears. Copp has not been at his best so far this year but he is a lot better than Tanev. Tanev would clear waivers, no problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad