Confirmed with Link: Jets Hire Rick Bowness as the next head coach, Arniel Associate, Assistants Brad Lauer, Marty Johnston

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Wonder if Chipman said this to Bowness?

Those who wonder why Cheveldayoff didn’t fire Maurice, I don’t think he had the authority is my opinion

Partial excerpt from athletic article from October 2021

Paul Maurice’s longevity in Winnipeg is not a coincidence. It is the realization of Mark Chipman’s cultural vision for his club — one that he expressed to Maurice soon after Winnipeg hired him in 2014.

“The day he first got here, I obviously welcomed him,” Mark Chipman told The Athletic by telephone in early October. “But I made a point of telling him that I expected he would be here for a long time.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Those who wonder why Cheveldayoff didn’t fire Maurice, I don’t think he had the authority is my opinion

Paul Maurice’s longevity in Winnipeg is not a coincidence. It is the realization of Mark Chipman’s cultural vision for his club — one that he expressed to Maurice soon after Winnipeg hired him in 2014.

“The day he first got here, I obviously welcomed him,” Mark Chipman told The Athletic by telephone in early October. “But I made a point of telling him that I expected he would be here for a long time.
Yep, he was here for a long time, not a good time. :nod:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010

eh, i mean are you gonna tell a new hire: hey ya i dont expect you to be here long? :laugh:

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
eh, i mean are you gonna tell a new hire: hey ya i dont expect you to be here long? :laugh:
No of course not.... Chipman made a point of telling him he WOULD be here a long time.
Unpack that statement....Chipman had his mind made up & doubled down on extension 2021 even though the signs were there he was no longer effective.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Whether Chipman directly intervened or not it was his loyalty principal that dictated how things were to unfold with Maurice. Him also stating his views on coaches and shelf lives earlier last season further cements what his principles are and those trickle down and impact how the org is run.

As I've said earlier I hope he's learned that at the end of the day results, and the view of your team matter. Your principles can't get in the way of the end goal and they did here. Chipman is a smart guy so I expect he took a lot away from this. 5ou have already seen some changes there. If loyalty was still the overriding principle then there is no way the Jets strip the captaincy from the longest serving member of the team.

All organizations make mistakes, I'm also of the view that the smart on3s learn and adapt when they make them.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yes - Mau is an orator, not a communicator. He's inspirational, but as I've said before, he isn't a strategic thinker. He coached on gut instinct, but people with his cognitive function stack struggle to explain their decisions in a clear way.

It struck me way back when Petan was bouncing between the AHL & the Jets - "I wasn't told what to work on or what I could do to earn a spot" - but I'm kind of surprised at how extreme this apparently was for even Scheifele. That means that multiple coaches (ie assistants, too) have failed us.

Haven't had time to watch enough of Bowness' interviews to evaluate his personality yet (I've been very busy all summer, including moving) - and had zero energy for the Jets' drama, but hopefully I'll be able get back into it in October/November.

I am optimistic - because we can't get much worse... Right, guys? 😏

I do think that having a totally fresh slate means everyone has incentive (and finally a realistic chance) to impress the new coaches. Can't rest on past laurels...

I gave up on listening to Maurice years ago when I discovered that he spoke for effect rather than communication. But he was a good talker, so everyone assumed he was a good communicator, me included. I just thought he lied to the fans. Now, more and more, it appears he did not communicate well with players either.

Poor Petan. He should have just read this forum to find out what he needed to work on. :laugh:

This gives more cause for optimism. The worse the previous regime was, the more potential for improvement there is.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah, I think Maurice was very well liked and respected by the media. I blame Cheveldayoff for this mess as Maurice should have been fired last offseason.

I still 'like' and respect Maurice myself. He is a likeable guy and seems like a decent human being. His coaching, not so much. I blame Cheveldayoff for this mess as Maurice should have been fired 3 off-seasons ago.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Did Freison get in trouble for posing this question to Bowness?
How about posing the same question to Schiefele? Wheeler? Is it really that hard?

There are different ways reporters can ask questions.
I think a straightforward, honest, tough question shouldn't usually get a reporter in trouble. A beligerent or manipulative question, or one phrased to back the interviewee into a corner just might. Could all be the same question. As in: Please answer yes or no. Have you stopped beating your wife?

Reactions: Jetsfan79

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No of course not.... Chipman made a point of telling him he WOULD be here a long time.
Unpack that statement....Chipman had his mind made up & doubled down on extension 2021 even though the signs were there he was no longer effective.

What did Chipman mean by a long time? 3 years? 5? Or 9?

5 years would have been a long time by the standard for NHL coaches - and that would have been about enough for me.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Perhaps this should be turned to alll purpose coaching thread?

Hope everything is ok with Bowness. He's one of the oldest coaches in the league and covid seems to hit the elderly quite hard.

I also hope he's OK and takes the rest he needs this time to fully recover.

Arniel has done a good job imo and I am fine with him running the bench for the next while. While he wasn't my first choice I thought his one foray to being an NHL head coach wasn't a fair representation of his ability to coach in the league.

Reactions: hn777 and RabidOne

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Perhaps this should be turned to alll purpose coaching thread?

Hope everything is ok with Bowness. He's one of the oldest coaches in the league and covid seems to hit the elderly quite hard.

No sickly senior coach Bowness, no Dutchman:(..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad