Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Purcell, McGinn, Fleischmann, Versteeg, Helm, Brouwer, Vrbata, Hudler, Perron, Parenteau, Weise, Matthias.

All UFAs. And oh the leadership. Versteeg with a ring. Helm. Brouwer had 13 points in 20 playoff games this season. Hudler Lady Byng and literally the only reason why Gaudreau was a Calder finalist :)sarcasm: obviously).

Do you think Stafford returns a first round pick in that market? Moving NHL players for second round picks doesn't make sense right now. What I know is - a) a "20-goal-scorer" was moved for a second and a third, and that's with the benefit of being an RFA - b) watching a Jets team without ****** depth forwards >>> a second round pick in a weak draft. Hm.

I don't think he returns a first round pick. I'm still okay to move him.

If Jets were making a push this season, like they did when they got him in the first place, my opinion would be different.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Not the reasoning. "If Jets were making a push". They damn well should.

Depends what you mean by making a push.
Obviously you always want to be as good as possible... but there's more to it than just be the best for 2016-17.

Every decision impacts both the now and the future, and sometimes there are tradeoffs.

I simply view the time and place the Jets are at that a few months less of Stafford is worth the picks. Picks which could not just be used to draft, but also maybe as assets to garner a player that fits in the Jets "peak competitive window".

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I simply view the time and place the Jets are at that a few months less of Stafford is worth the picks.

Correct. A few months. Deadline.

Please don't gut your depth at the start of the season. 12 months =/= "a few months".

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Depends what you mean by making a push.
Obviously you always want to be as good as possible... but there's more to it than just be the best for 2016-17.

Every decision impacts both the now and the future, and sometimes there are tradeoffs.

I simply view the time and place the Jets are at that a few months less of Stafford is worth the picks. Picks which could not just be used to draft, but also maybe as assets to garner a player that fits in the Jets "peak competitive window".

My feeling is that picks are at their most expensive now, and leading up to the draft. They are cheapest around the trade deadline. From a pure value perspective, I think that trading Stafford at the trade deadline would likely yield a stronger set of assets than at the draft. Either way, he needs to be moved between now and the trade deadline.

The argument against keeping him for most of the season is that there might be opportunity costs in terms of the more rapid development of young players, and they might miss opportunities to make some moves now that will improve the roster sooner.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Lol I went to close the thread... then I realized I can't do that anymore :laugh:

I don't think I want to move Drew Stafford unless we are picking up some veteran help up front.

There's young, and then there is too young. We are teetering on that line up front.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
My feeling is that picks are at their most expensive now, and leading up to the draft. They are cheapest around the trade deadline. From a pure value perspective, I think that trading Stafford at the trade deadline would likely yield a stronger set of assets than at the draft. Either way, he needs to be moved between now and the trade deadline.

The argument against keeping him for most of the season is that there might be opportunity costs in terms of the more rapid development of young players, and they might miss opportunities to make some moves now that will improve the roster sooner.

And of course, a lower role reducing Stafford's potential value.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
And of course, a lower role reducing Stafford's potential value.

I'd trade Stafford now...,,
I'd trade Stafford yesterday.....

Wait..... Maybe Stafford should never have been signed.......

(I've always felt this way a actually)

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I'd trade Stafford now...,,
I'd trade Stafford yesterday.....

Wait..... Maybe Stafford should never have been signed.......

(I've always felt this way a actually)

If the Jets had hung on to their depth, with Stemp and Frolik, plus Stafford, and added Ehlers... it would have been enough to say the Jets were trying to continue the push.

But ya, with the full youth cycle, I'm not certain it was the wisest thing.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Very good debate on the merits of Drew Stafford then and now. all I can say is it beats the hell out of the more obvious low hanging fruit of Thorburn, Pavs, Stu.....feels like even the floor is moving up not that the usual suspects are dead and gone by any means.

I think this will be a very interesting upcoming season.

Questions to be answered

1) goaltending.... does Helly get the job done with Pavs as the Back up or does he falter? This is the wind at the back or end in the face question that really trumps all.

2) how quickly do we transition from our past.... Stu, Thorburn, Pavs, Stafford?

3) what is going to happen with this group of pending UFA's they all need to find new homes and there isn't enough cash to go around. Could be some insane value deals?

4) teams will make moves to get shored up for the expansion draft......where are the deals?

5) which young guns are going to step up....fresh rookies like Connor or Laine? Perhaps someone out of the group who is pressing......Petan, Armia, Morrissey, Dano???

Every year always has so many twists and turns and so many subplots.

Stay tuned this one won't be boring with a flat cap, expansion draft, and oversupplied UFA crop........news news and more news.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
Great list ps241.

No doubt, we as fans are moving from "Yay! We have an NHL team!" to "Holy crap, the Jets might actually be real good real soon". And Chevy has a bunch of aces up his sleeve, should he decide to play them.

1) goaltending.... does Helly get the job done with Pavs as the Back up or does he falter? This is the wind at the back or end in the face question that really trumps all.

I'm very optimistic on Helly. He seems so cool and collected. And he has such positionally sound technique. I'm no goaltending expert, but he seems less susceptible to the sort of meteoric rise and fall that Hutch went through.

2) how quickly do we transition from our past.... Stu, Thorburn, Pavs, Stafford?

Less optimistic this happens immediately.

It's a tug-of-war between being sure TNSE will recognize they now have much superior options, vs. being confounded they've held on to some of these players for so long already.

3) what is going to happen with this group of pending UFA's they all need to find new homes and there isn't enough cash to go around. Could be some insane value deals?

It's a weird place to be in. We almost have too much talent already - they're just young and need time to develop. But those insane value deals will be hard to pass up.

Add onto this the cap crunch many teams are facing. The wheeling and dealing has already started there with the Bickell Teravainen deal. Maybe we take on a cap dump in exchange for future picks. Even then, we have to find room on the roster for whoever we take. I guess we could take on a highly overpaid bottom 6 guy (along with some major sweeteners), and send back one of our many super cheap bottom 6 guys of comparable talent.

4) teams will make moves to get shored up for the expansion draft......where are the deals?

This will take some more shrewd maneuvering. Unlike with the UFAs and stagnating cap, the Jets don't have any obvious tactical advantage here over the other teams.

5) which young guns are going to step up....fresh rookies like Connor or Laine? Perhaps someone out of the group who is pressing......Petan, Armia, Morrissey, Dano???

Well, Laine plays like a combination of Ovechkin, Chuck Norris, Godzilla, and Meat Loaf, so he's sure to be pretty awesome. ;)

What's really cool though is we don't need to place all our hopes on a few promising greenhorns. We have a giant herd of promising greenhorns. Some of them are bound to impress, and that's all we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad