Confirmed Trade: [CAR/PIT] Jake Guentzel (25% retained), Ty Smith for Michael Bunting, Ville Koivunen, Vasili Ponomarev, Cruz Lucius, 2024 cond. 1st, 2024 cond. 5th

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I very much doubt he's coming back to Pitt. Nothing is changing about the structure for the Pens. Its just going to be throwing the same roster at the wall again this year. And if he's upset at a lack of extension talk, the same GM will be there too.

Both the player (for the prime years of his career) and the Pens (for the years when they fully bottom out) would have to be a little bit insane to want a reunion. Especially if its a 60M, 7+ year one.

I hope he stays in Carolina. Seems like a match made in heaven for a low-key dude, and the production speaks for itself. I love that he's thriving there and has proven the "Heu heu heu, pRoDuCt oF cRoSbY" crowd dead wrong so far.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I dunno if there is any truth to this but Jake should not even be mad, this shits hockey and players get traded all the time, even if they don't wanna go. It's for the benefit of the team as we transition to get younger and he can chase his cups. Pens were not making the playoffs even with Jake, so he needed to go for assets so we don't lose him for nothing.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Some Buffalo fans feel the Sabers are going to dump Skinner. The Ducks and Utah have nice upcoming teams, and have the cap room to sign Guentzel.

Ducks make sense too but I see Buffalo as more alluring.

Utah will be a hard sell to players this summer. Feels so rusheds

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The Ducks GM the past week told the press this week that they are looking in free agency for a top 6 winger (He did say RW) and a top four defenseman.

Ya but I just dont see him going to the ducks. No real reason but just dont think he goes there.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Hey… quick question on that… How?

His contract is buyout proof and he won’t go anywhere else but Toronto who needs him like they need a hole in the head. There’s no world where the Sabres ‘dump’ Skinner and somehow replace him with Guentzel
That's what some Sabers fans said in their comments about Lindy Ruff hired as head coach. Some said that Ruff and Skinner would only last a year, and Skinner would be in his doghouse.
1714095566409.png

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Hey… quick question on that… How?

His contract is buyout proof and he won’t go anywhere else but Toronto who needs him like they need a hole in the head. There’s no world where the Sabres ‘dump’ Skinner and somehow replace him with Guentzel

I think you'd get takers for Skinner retained.

But they could also keep skinner and still afford jake. they have 24mill in cap with little to resign.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think you'd get takers for Skinner retained.

But they could also keep skinner and still afford jake. they have 24mill in cap with little to resign.
Lol… it’s not about who would take him… it’s that he has a no trade clause and only wants to be close to Toronto. Hes not getting traded. Hes been in the league 14 years and this has been beat to death. He wants to be close to home and that’s the most important thing to him.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Nah Buffalo or somone will pay more. I dont think Carolina can afford him.

He should get 9.5 - 10 a year.

Skinner 2.0
Based on what?

Guentzel is a model of consistency, Skinner is as inconsistent as they come.

Guentzel is a playoff beast, Skinner has 0 career playoff points.

They're polar opposites in two of the most important ways to evaluate players.

If Skinner had his career best season every year and not only made the playoffs regularly but improved on his regular season production once he got there, you could say they were comparable.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Based on what?

Guentzel is a model of consistency, Skinner is as inconsistent as they come.

Guentzel is a playoff beast, Skinner has 0 career playoff points.

They're polar opposites in two of the most important ways to evaluate players.

If Skinner had his career best season every year and not only made the playoffs regularly but improved on his regular season production once he got there, you could say they were comparable.

Sorry contract comp not player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad