Speculation: Jets General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 15-16 Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
Thank you Somebody Important. Thirty teams will lose a player. We are one of them. We are in a far better position than almost every other team in the league. If we lose our 15th to 20th best potential player (given that we probably have more exempt prospects) we are in a net win position.

It seems to me that there are more important issues than this. I have my ideas as to what they are, but I would like to hear from others.

The amount of worry on this subject is overdone.

This exactly! We have incredible depth, and young depth. We can afford to lose a player more than most teams because we have excellent young players to fill those spots.
As CalgaryJetsFan said, it's a net win for us competitively!

Georgetown Al*

Georgetown Al
Oct 6, 2015
This exactly! We have incredible depth, and young depth. We can afford to lose a player more than most teams because we have excellent young players to fill those spots.
As CalgaryJetsFan said, it's a net win for us competitively!

Its a Process :sarcasm: and our Jets have with some luck are able to save the best another reason to be always a draft and develop team.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A top 9 that includes.... Laine, Wheeler, Ehlers, Connor, Perreault and Dano as wingers is pretty solid to very good, IMO.

A 4th line that has Petan, Lemieux, Armia, Lipon and Kosmachuk vying for time could work too.

Still don't see how Stafford fits in. A team needing to get to the cap floor may give a 3rd+ to get him.

I agree about Stafford but not fitting our lineup doesn't mean he is a bad player. There will be a team that wan'ts a RW who can score 20+ goals. I don't think there is a team that wants to overpay a player just to meet the floor. Carolina didn't take Bickell to meet the floor. They took him to get TT. A 3rd might be all we can get. Because he is only under contract for 1 more year and because he is a good but flawed player.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I was trying to figure out Stafford a d for him to be on the roster Connor must start in the ahl, one of thorburn and pekuso can't be here and one of armia or Dano must be K. The fourth line and literally no player that wasn't on this roster can be added (no UFAs no Lipon/Lemieix/Petan/Kosmo/Tanev. Etc)

It's just so crowded with him

We seem to be pretty well unanimous on Stafford. So what are the chances that Chevy can't see it?

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
As much as I would like to see him dealt at the draft...it would be silly to do so. They have no idea how close Laine and Connor are to being big league ready...well some idea...but they won't know for sure until training camp and the preseason.

They probably see Stafford as a stop gap, albeit a **** one, but a stop gap none the less, until the kids are ready.

They may be ready now(in fact they probably are), but my point is that we don't know that. And Chevy is nothing if not cautious.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I agree about Stafford but not fitting our lineup doesn't mean he is a bad player. There will be a team that wan'ts a RW who can score 20+ goals. I don't think there is a team that wants to overpay a player just to meet the floor. Carolina didn't take Bickell to meet the floor. They took him to get TT. A 3rd might be all we can get. Because he is only under contract for 1 more year and because he is a good but flawed player.

Thinking a team that isn't up against the cap may want Stafford and able to take on his $4.3 mill cap hit. Would take a team with cap space and a need for a winger, but they may give up a pick. Hurricanes, Islanders, Nashville or Florida come to mind.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Wonder if Jordan and Marc Staal are moved this summer.

Carolina seems to be adding younger players and may want to move on from Jordan's long term deal. Rangers are reported to be considering many different moves, including buying out Marc's contract. May not make sense to try to acquire both because of their pricey deals, but I would definitely be interested in one of the two, if they were available.

Pair Marc with Trouba for an improved shut down pairing? Or have Jordan centering Laine and Connor?

Gain a better LH dman, or maybe add a big Center that can go up against other big Centers in the West.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
As much as I would like to see him dealt at the draft...it would be silly to do so. They have no idea how close Laine and Connor are to being big league ready...well some idea...but they won't know for sure until training camp and the preseason.

They probably see Stafford as a stop gap, albeit a **** one, but a stop gap none the less, until the kids are ready.

They may be ready now(in fact they probably are), but my point is that we don't know that. And Chevy is nothing if not cautious.

Trade Stafford at the draft and sign a good bottom-6 veteran player in free agency. The Jets can even save some money doing that and get a player to expose in the expansion. Time to move on from Stafford

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Trade Stafford at the draft and sign a good bottom-6 veteran player in free agency. The Jets can even save some money doing that and get a player to expose in the expansion. Time to move on from Stafford
Helm would be a much better depth forward than Stafford IMO.

Stempniak would be a better fit too.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
That is one hell of a storm.

image.jpg

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

Honestly look at our prospect/cusp players.right now and add em up.

If a single one of those players takes a step and is ready this season then your covered.

If not one of Petan, Dano, Armia, Connor, De Leo, Lemieix, (last two being long shots) can be a better player then Stafford this year then we've got bigger problems then this season.

That is some really bad "luck" bases on all of the aforementioned players development curves thus far.

If that happens, the lack of Stafford is the least of our worries, because were clearly ****ing something up in the development side.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
One game? Have you forgotten how many games that Perre-Burmi-Dano line was, and how effective they were?
(better shot and expected goal differential than Ehlers-Scheif-Wheeler although with easier mins)

I said it was one of few.

And ya, that line was good, and my point was that Dano's influence on that line was minimal, from what I watched.

Like I said, I would be willing to sit down and take a handful of his games played with us last season, and watch each shift and analyse each shot produced.

From what I saw last season, those shots that line was producing had little to do with Dano's input.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Honestly look at our prospect/cusp players.right now and add em up.

If a single one of those players takes a step and is ready this season then your covered.

If not one of Petan, Dano, Armia, Connor, De Leo, Lemieix, (last two being long shots) can be a better player then Stafford this year then we've got bigger problems then this season.

That is some really bad "luck" bases on all of the aforementioned players development curves thus far.

If that happens, the lack of Stafford is the least of our worries, because were clearly ****ing something up in the development side.

I am not disagreeing with you. I totally get everything that you are saying and I have been Stafford biggest critic since day one..even saying that he should have been dealt last deadline.

I'm just saying the way that I believe the Jets view the Stafford situation.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Trade Stafford and sign no one.

Helm would be a much better depth forward than Stafford IMO.

Stempniak would be a better fit too.

Yes, either would be a better fit than Stafford but so would the players we already have. If we sign a UFA he displaces somebody. Who? What do we do with him?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Again, somewhere between 100 and 115 percent, certainly.

I am not disagreeing with you. I totally get everything that you are saying and I have been Stafford biggest critic since day one..even saying that he should have been dealt last deadline.

I'm just saying the way that I believe the Jets view the Stafford situation.

If you are playing devil's advocate you should say so. :) We need a DA emoji.

That would be truly excessive caution from an NHL GM.

The skepticism toward Jets management around here is getting pretty high. Maurice can't identify who are the best players to get the most minutes and Chevy can't figure out how to get the best players onto the 23 man roster. Neither is about acquisitions. They are just about the players we have under contract. The skepticism appears to be about trusting the judgement of the decision makers.

The funny thing is that in my occasional wanderings to other boards I see similar doubts raised about the managements of the most successful teams in the league. :laugh:

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
Not sure how the Jets view the Stafford situation, I would think he was signed to a 2 year deal originally to bridge the gap until Connor at the time was ready but something unexpected happened and they won the 2nd overall pick in the lottery, guaranteeing themselves yet another winger (laine or puljujarvi).

It's interesting if you look at our roster, i'm not sure stafford fits in anywhere, he's not a top line player, not sure he's even a top 6 with the young talent coming up, altho knowing maurice he's probably slotted as the second line RW, Lowry and Stafford looked brutal last year so he's not really an option for 3rd line and definitely not a 4th line option either.. . where does he fit? He doesn't and i think it's very likely that they will trade him at the draft, i think they might trade a few players at the draft actually, no big names or anything but guys like Stafford,Burmi,Peluso,Postma,Chiarot, guys of that nature could very well be on the move.

Not sure what keeping stafford around does exactly besides block players who have a future here. Stafford doesn't, he was signed to a 2 year deal for a reason, he's not expansion fodder, he's nothing really, he serves no purpose, much like Pavelec actually, originally i thought, hey stafford pavelec, these guys are perfect to have for the expansion draft but the rules changed and these guys don't really count, so right now, I'm trying to figure out what purpose they serve and i can't really think of anything.

Pavelec? I mean, couldn't you just sign a backup goalie to a 2 year deal instead? Stafford? Wheeler,Ehlers,Connor,Perreault as wingers i don't see a fit, i know everyone loves to put Perreault at center but he more than likely will be playing wing... wheres stafford fit? Dano? Armia? I mean, stafford just doesn't fit anymore.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
We finally have something that resembles depth and you want to give it away?

Uhhhhhh .... nooooo.

I didn't say give away. I said trade. Stafford is not our depth. Oh wait, I see. This is about composition. I will rephrase. Trade Stafford and sign no UFA. Better? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad