Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Highly doubt he'd sign with the Jets. I think he'd actually end his career before signing with a non playoff or original six team.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
An old, experienced head to bring on the youth would have been nice though. That's why I liked Jokinen so much last year- old heads can teach the younger players so much off the ice. Aflie would have been the same but like you guys said, was never gonna happen!

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Still think it'd be a smart idea to try and trade for Leipsic. Him and Petan won the scoring championship together in 2012-13 during the lockout year, also together took the Winterhawks to the Memorial Cup once as well as the finals. Also Leipsic would be a great fit with the Jets.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Meh. Acquiring players because they were teammates is silly to me. I'm down for it if it's about acquiring more good players, but then I don't care who they target, as long as they are good.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Meh. Acquiring players because they were teammates is silly to me. I'm down for it if it's about acquiring more good players, but then I don't care who they target, as long as they are good.

Agree - 'chemistry' develops between players pretty quickly.

jetkarma*

I don't think the Jets are focusing on ties for chemistry reasons , or on ice cohesion . I do think they take connections into play for an overall cohesion though .

Ties , friendships , team mates , it can help in building loyalty , cementing bonds to a city and franchise . Perhaps add just a bit to making it easier to keep players. Small part of it , but one none the less I think .

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Agree - 'chemistry' develops between players pretty quickly.

No doubt. Anyone who's seen 22 Jump Street knows that :)

Seriously though, I agree. It might be a factor if that player is good and he has chemistry with another player, especially if we found someone like that for Kane, but just for the sake of doesn't really work.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Reimer signs for 2 years at 2.3M per. I would have thought he'd get more in arbitration. Maybe he decided to avoid arbitration in order to allow a trade :naughty:.

If we run with this pie in the sky scenario, I'd be thrilled about a Reimer for Pavs 1 for 1 trade with us eating the cap hit difference for the remainder of Pavs' contract. Allows us to upgrade our goaltending and allows for Reimer (if this scenario is true) to get out of Toronto and onto a team where he'd be the starter.

Sad thing is that I have my doubts whether Chevy would do this if it was offered to him :help:. Obviously I doubt Toronto would do this, but they've done crazier things in the past.

Anyone know what percentage of a salary can be kept in a trade under the new CBA?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Reimer signs for 2 years at 2.3M per. I would have thought he'd get more in arbitration. Maybe he decided to avoid arbitration in order to allow a trade :naughty:.

If we run with this pie in the sky scenario, I'd be thrilled about a Reimer for Pavs 1 for 1 trade with us eating the cap hit difference for the remainder of Pavs' contract. Allows us to upgrade our goaltending and allows for Reimer (if this scenario is true) to get out of Toronto and onto a team where he'd be the starter.

Sad thing is that I have my doubts whether Chevy would do this if it was offered to him :help:. Obviously I doubt Toronto would do this, but they've done crazier things in the past.

Anyone know what percentage of a salary can be kept in a trade under the new CBA?

Maybe if we eat a little more than the difference? Like maybe half of Pavs salary, no wait he goes up each year that wouldn't do it. How about 2 - 2.5 - 3 mil. Cheaper than a buyout and we get Reimer. Toronto saves .5+ mil/yr. Now TO doesn't actually care about such small amounts of money but they would save the cap also. Sigh. Still probably not good enough. Wait, wait, wait .... we could throw in Ellerby. He would be the #4 D in Toronto! How could they refuse?
Only half kidding/sarcastic. Ellerby would actually be #5 or 6.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.

Agreed. I would have been pretty stoked if Pearson fell to us in 12 though

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Why do we want Reimer over any other goalie on the market?

Reimer is horrible. He's worse than Pavelec.
Im just trying to figure out why we want Reimer over Hiller (when he was a FA), Miller, Fleury (if hes truly on the move), Ward (still a good goalie, had a horrendous year though), Anderson, etc, all these goalies who are on the block.

And all I see come up are Reimer trade threads.

Yes, hes the easiest one to acquire, but if you needed a 1st line winger, you wouldn't go after Rene Bourque or Daniel Winnik because "he's the easiest to acquire". If you needed a PMD you wouldn't sign MDZ because "he's the easiest to acquire"

Thats my two cents, please just answer this god-forsaken question.

:rant:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
JMO but I see him as a small upgrade. Played with toronto who faced probably the most shots per game and has had a save % of over .910 the last two seasons. I believe we have a better defencive team than toronto and he could win a few of those tight games where we need that one big save.

unsure if he could play a full season without injury though and highly doubt if we trade for him at all as I cannot see us trading assets for him unless we could unload Pavs in the deal.

jetswin

Jul 24, 2011
Im just trying to figure out why we want Reimer over Hiller (when he was a FA), Miller, Fleury (if hes truly on the move), Ward (still a good goalie, had a horrendous year though), Anderson, etc, all these goalies who are on the block.

Yes, hes the easiest one to acquire, but if you needed a 1st line winger, you wouldn't go after Rene Bourque or Daniel Winnik because "he's the easiest to acquire". If you needed a PMD you wouldn't sign MDZ because "he's the easiest to acquire"

He is from MB which is always good to see. I wish him the best, but I also would rather the Jets looked elsewhere.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Reimer is far from horrible. He is even further from "worse than Pavelec" who really IS horrible.

Pavelec best season ever career = sv% .914
Reimer career avg. = sv% .914

He has played behind a much worse defense than has Pavelec. He took the Leafs to the playoffs. Repeat 3x.

In a perfect world I would take Hiller over Reimer but he isn't available, Reimer probably is. There is also a cost issue. Hiller costs double what Reimer does.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

Three things come to mind, my opinion of course. 1 - Welcome to sports, everyone loves a hometown kid done good, especially a small hometown like the Peg. 2 - Reimer isn't horrible, the Leafs are/were. 3 - I'm not big on him either, but see 1 & 2.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

First of all: Reimer has been better than Pavelec in junior, has been better than Pavelec in the AHL, and has been better than Pavelec in the NHL. He is a clear and significant upgrade over Pavelec, then again, just about any NHL goalie is.

Why Reimer? I think he would've been a solid buy low option for the Jets, especially in the event that they bought Pavelec out and wanted to find a bargain option in goal. Some of those names you mention are either grossly overpriced for what you get (Fleury and Ward), or likely wouldn't sign here (Miller). I like the idea of Hiller or Anderson, the only problem is that their contracts would start stressing the Jets internal budget in the event of a Pavelec CBO.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
First of all: Reimer has been better than Pavelec in junior, has been better than Pavelec in the AHL, and has been better than Pavelec in the NHL. He is a clear and significant upgrade over Pavelec, then again, just about any NHL goalie is.

Why Reimer? I think he would've been a solid buy low option for the Jets, especially in the event that they bought Pavelec out and wanted to find a bargain option in goal. Some of those names you mention are either grossly overpriced for what you get (Fleury and Ward), or likely wouldn't sign here (Miller). I like the idea of Hiller or Anderson, the only problem is that their contracts would start stressing the Jets internal budget in the event of a Pavelec CBO.

Their contracts would start stressing the Jets internal budget with or without a Pavelec buyout.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Their contracts would start stressing the Jets internal budget with or without a Pavelec buyout.

Yep, absolutely true. I'm just going on the assumption that Anderson or Hiller would only be brought in if Pavelec was amnestied, since I doubt management would want $7M+ worth of cap space tied up in goaltending.

MadMen88

Oct 19, 2011
I still believe there is a top 10 NHL goaltender in Ondrej Pavelec. There, I said it. He faces perhaps more pressure game in game out then any other Jet. The team in front of him needs to step up this year and buy into whatever system Maurice implements.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I still believe there is a top 10 NHL goaltender in Ondrej Pavelec. There, I said it. He faces perhaps more pressure game in game out then any other Jet. The team in front of him needs to step up this year and buy into whatever system Maurice implements.

Did he eat Carey Price for dinner or something? :sarcasm:

I would really like to see him turn it around, but I really think that its unlikely to happen. :( Systems don't alter goalies SV% much. They may be able to improve SA with a more fully implemented PoMo system, which would help the GAA, but it doesn't explain how Montoya was able to post much better numbers behind the same team / system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad