Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation 14-15 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Where have you been? He went after Stasny for one. Didn't want to come here yada .... yada .... yada. That was verified by his agent. Perhaps others but we know how secretive Chevy is about these things ....

Didn't he also say something along the lines that the Jets made a very attractive but they were not in the final consideration.

IMO picking up Perreault for #3 C was a nice upgrade over Olli or possibly O'Dell. I don't know if a team like the Jets can ring much more from FA, where a lot of mid range players get way more $ and term then a team would like to give.

Making a trade however is a different matter.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Didn't he also say something along the lines that the Jets made a very attractive but they were not in the final consideration.

IMO picking up Perreault for #3 C was a nice upgrade over Olli or possibly O'Dell. I don't know if a team like the Jets can ring much more from FA, where a lot of mid range players get way more $ and term then a team would like to give.

Making a trade however is a different matter.

I really don't blame Chevy for his FA signing record. I do believe many offers came back with the "Sorry, don't want to come to Winnipeg right now" remark. Considering this he did a good job signing Jokinen and Perreault. There is only so much you can do to attract a player, even with overpaying a little.

This will and can only change if this franchise works well over the next couple of years, keeps adding for a deeper system and starts to be a good looking playoff team with potential. Look at Minnesota for example, they had a hard time attracting free agents but once they made the step to a playoff team with ambitions, they started to successfully sign FAs. And with all respect, I doubt Minneapolis is on the list of the more attractive NHL cities. Similar to Winnipeg.

EnglishJet

Jul 18, 2014
Nova Scotia
I find Kane a difficult one. On the one hand there is something about him I don't like, and I think that if someone wants to leave you shouldn't keep them. They are bad for moral and you don't get the best out of them. On the other hand he has such a bright future and I'd hate to see that future be with someone else.

He's so young, already has so many goals, his contract isn't up for a while and he isn't kicking up a huge fuss to leave- I think we hold all the cards and should trade if the trade offer is too good to turn down. I'll get over/learn to live with my personal dislike of him!

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Booth signed with Maple Leafs. So who do we have left to target?

Penner's still available I think. Also Winnik. Is Alfredsson retiring or what's going on there? Also, possibly the 3rd best TJ in the league (Galiardi).

Del Zotto is still unsigned. And I don't hate Raphael Diaz. But I don't think the Jets are looking to add D.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
ROR signed for 2 yrs @ $6 mill aav. UFA in 2 yrs.

Pretty difficult to move him, as it looks like he going to test the market.

peg

Jul 8, 2010
Scott Brown ‏@BrownScottTN 3m
#NHLJets agree to terms with Ben Chiarot on a one-year, two way contract.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
@BrownScottTN: #NHLJets agree to terms with Ben Chiarot on a one-year, two way contract.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Anybody remember Chevy saying he's still looking for another top-6 forward after the Perreault signing?

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Anybody remember Chevy saying he's still looking for another top-6 forward after the Perreault signing?

He better hurry...

I hope they sign Del Zotto even though I know they are not going. at worst he's an improvement over our bottom pairing and at best he can still be a great 3-4 that he was touted to be

trebendan

Aug 13, 2010
Sadly, you are likely right.

Yes, it's possible that you're correct. However, after Frolik is signed (assuming they get him signed), I think the Jets only have about 40 or 41 contracts, which seems a bit low to me. There are probably 3 or 4 2-way contracts that the Jets want to get some UFA's signed to (example - maybe someone like Drayson Bowman). They still might be trying for something a bit bigger though, to get to their internal cap # of about $65M (IIRC). Seems like a trade would be the only way now to get to that internal cap, since there's not much left in UFA. Or maybe the Jets will just say "forget it, let's just go with $62M or $63M".

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
Yes, it's possible that you're correct. However, after Frolik is signed (assuming they get him signed), I think the Jets only have about 40 or 41 contracts, which seems a bit low to me. There are probably 3 or 4 2-way contracts that the Jets want to get some UFA's signed to (example - maybe someone like Drayson Bowman). They still might be trying for something a bit bigger though, to get to their internal cap # of about $65M (IIRC). Seems like a trade would be the only way now to get to that internal cap, since there's not much left in UFA. Or maybe the Jets will just say "forget it, let's just go with $62M or $63M".

May as well just say forget it and go with 62 or 63. It would match the ownership and management's effort they have made, to make this a competitive team. I am sure Ladd, Wheeler, Little, Buff and Enstrom are just ecstatic to go into yet another season of prime years, knowing they are an incredible long shot just to get a playoff spot.

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
Saving that internal cap space for when Chicago or another cap-stricken team calls looking to dump another frolik off to us for a 3rd and 5th round pick. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad