Post-Game Talk: Jets flush 2 points lose 3 -1

Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
think the biggest issue on this team is lack of 2c, we need either perfetti or vilardi to take that spot or we have to make a trade

Well that would require the coach to actually live with the adjustment period. He seemed unwilling to with Perfetti. We shall see if he's more patient with Vilardi.

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
I've read through this entire board (seriously, do YOU get any real work done on a Friday afternoon?) and I'm left shaking my head.

There was lots of slightly funny/slightly nasty talk today about a big article in the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/11/30/women-brain-menstrual-cycle-changes/ but hardly worth reading) on how our menstrual cycle affects the way we think and act.

After reading this board, I think there should be a study about how 2 or 3 losses in a row affect the way men think and write about their teams. The comments, mostly directed at the coaching but the usual unrealistic shade thrown on various players, are far out of all proportion to the way the team played and the success we enjoy.

I looked at the standings this afternoon and we are still in 3rd place. The three teams that were chasing us over a week ago are all still below us in the standings. We're only five points out of first place. And I think that makes me a lot happier than many of the folks who vent in here. They need to lighten up. I've heard a couple of aspirins help sometimes.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
We have a case study under Bones from last year in Ehlers. He was injured in game 3 and missed until January 6. In his first game back he played roughly 18 minutes. So no easing him back in after being out a good month longer then Gabe.
Was he wearing a brace?
Was it a similar injury?
Are all injuries the same?
Do players always come back to the line they played on or do they sometimes work their way back into the big minutes?

Is this really a case study or your opinion?

We can all speculate but doesn't this really come down to case by case circumstances, the Dr's and training staff,
and maybe not Bones and his opinion of how many minutes a player can play coming back from various injuries.
I honestly don't think I have the expertise to make that call - do you?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I've read through this entire board (seriously, do YOU get any real work done on a Friday afternoon?) and I'm left shaking my head.

There was lots of slightly funny/slightly nasty talk today about a big article in the Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/11/30/women-brain-menstrual-cycle-changes/ but hardly worth reading) on how our menstrual cycle affects the way we think and act.

After reading this board, I think there should be a study about how 2 or 3 losses in a row affect the way men think and write about their teams. The comments, mostly directed at the coaching but the usual unrealistic shade thrown on various players, are far out of all proportion to the way the team played and the success we enjoy.

I looked at the standings this afternoon and we are still in 3rd place. The three teams that were chasing us over a week ago are all still below us in the standings. We're only five points out of first place. And I think that makes me a lot happier than many of the folks who vent in here. They need to lighten up. I've heard a couple of aspirins help sometimes.

2 or 3 losses? Try one bad period (no pun intended).

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Was he wearing a brace?
Was it a similar injury?
Do players always come back to the line they played on or do they sometimes work their way back into the big minutes?

We can all speculate but doesn't this really come down to case by case circumstances, the Dr's and training staff,
and maybe not Bones and his opinion of how many minutes a player can play coming back from various injuries.

We aren't going to agree on this. As far as I'm concerned a Dr. Shouldn't be clearing a player unless he's fit to play is regular shift. My belief is that since he was cleared he should be able to go right back to the role he left.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We aren't going to agree on this. As far as I'm concerned a Dr. Shouldn't be clearing a player unless he's fit to play is regular shift. My belief is that since he was cleared he should be able to go right back to the role he left.
I think there is a difference between being medically cleared to return to game action after an injury and having the game conditioning required to immediately resume your previous role on the team prior to the injury.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
that's why you're posting on the internet, and the players/drs/coaches make decisions. stop being so ignorant.

Was he wearing a brace?
Was it a similar injury?

exactly, well said. no one here has had their eyes on the injury. the coaches/players/drs know their possible limitations not bunch of posters on the internet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabe Kupari

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Excited to see Chisholm tomorrow. He had an awful first two games with the Moose but settled in and was the best defenseman for the final 4 games.
It will be interesting to see how he looks. It has been a long time since I have seen him play. Good luck to the guy, it is an important day in his career.

Reactions: Jets 31

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
He's wearing a brace. That means he's not 100% healthy. He should be on the 4th line.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Vilardi will get healthy and hopefully return to centre the 2nd line with Perfetti and Ehlers. SCE did not work for the most part and maybe SCN would be a better first line.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Yes, but we should be more patient and tolerant.

We all have bad periods from time to time.
Not me. I'm great always.
We aren't going to agree on this. As far as I'm concerned a Dr. Shouldn't be clearing a player unless he's fit to play is regular shift. My belief is that since he was cleared he should be able to go right back to the role he left
I hear what you're saying but I think you're being a little too rigid here. He had a leg injury, his cardio could have taken a hit. It's entirely possible to not be 100% but to also be able to play without risking further injury. At that point it's a decision of what helps you win more, an 80% Vilardi or a 100% Gus or Fjallby? Nothing wrong with easing a player back in and letting them figure out where they're at.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Not me. I'm great always.

I hear what you're saying but I think you're being a little too rigid here. He had a leg injury, his cardio could have taken a hit. It's entirely possible to not be 100% but to also be able to play without risking further injury. At that point it's a decision of what helps you win more, an 80% Vilardi or a 100% Gus or Fjallby? Nothing wrong with easing a player back in and letting them figure out where they're at.

You guys are correct, nothing wrong with easing a player back. I guess I just wish it was applied more uniformly.

It's been a tough week and I've been too rigid and have been venting.

Sorry about all that!

Last edited:

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I guess I'm annoyed that we had years of Wheeler being deployed optimally at times while he was clearly injured and actively hurting the team. No one seemed to care if it was a top player thrust right back into a top spot without "needing to be slow played". No one would call for Scheifele to be eased back in. I just don't get why everyone is running to the defense of the coach when I suggest similar treatment to what our top players get for a key player for the team moving forward.

Anyhow I'm done with this topic.
Yeah that's fair, I'm more on your side than you think and the last person that would argue that Wheeler didn't get long enough of a leash. I just don't connect that with this. I have no issue with giving a player a diminished role to see where they're at and how effective they can be in their state and to work some of their timing back. For a recent example elsewhere Hischier started on the 4th line just a few games ago when he came back from injury, and they were much more desperate to turn things around when he came back.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah that's fair, I'm more on your side than you think and the last person that would argue that Wheeler didn't get long enough of a leash. I just don't connect that with this. I have no issue with giving a player a diminished role to see where they're at and how effective they can be in their state and to work some of their timing back. For a recent example elsewhere Hischier started on the 4th line just a few games ago when he came back from injury, and they were much more desperate to turn things around when he came back.

I changed my post. It's been a rough week and I used this forum as an outlet for some pent up frustration. You guys make good points about easing players in.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I changed my post. It's been a rough week and I used this forum as an outlet for some pent up frustration. You guys make good points about easing players in.
Big of you, sorry I didn't see the whole exchange and might have jumped in at a weird time without enough information, I was just responding to the snippet that I saw. Sorry about your week and I hope things start to look up. God knows I've come on here to argue sometimes when I was feeling frustrated.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
You guys are correct, nothing wrong with easing a player back. I guess I just wish it was applied more uniformly.

It's been a tough week and I've been too rigid and have been venting.

Sorry about all that!
Appropriate rehab would depend on the specific injury. I don't think you can read anything into different players being reintroduced to the lineup differently.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I knew you knew that - figured there must be something eating you - all is good, hope you sorted it out.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Maybe Vilardi is not yet in game shape to play heavy minutes. Maybe Bones has seen something concerning in practice regarding how the brace is affecting Vilardi and wanted to evaluate further under game conditions. There could be valid reasons for easing him in, and you can't say with certainty that KFC or Scheif would be treated any differently.
Yeah it's not like an ubi where you can likely just jump right back in. The knee is a critically important joint for getting around the ice and it's subject to a lot of stress.

Add that to the fact that he hadn't even played 2 full games before being out over 2 months.

You have to take your time, build strength without reagrivating it.

Not to mention Vilardi said he didn't feel great with the brace, which I understand. When you hurt your knee, it takes some time to trust it again.

I've had acl, mcl, meniscus injuries on both knees. You're always concerned that it's going to twist the wrong way when your coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad