News Article: Jets exploring trade market for Wheeler

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
I wonder if a 3 way trade is the only way to move Wheeler. I think it's possible to get Jonathan Toews to play a season here, and the Jets can afford his full Cap Hit if they move Wheeler, but there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Wheeler is agreeing to go to Chicago.

You know Wheeler would jump at the chance to play for Maurice again, but the biggest obstacle for Florida is Cap space. If they want to dump Hornqvist he has a NTC, and I doubt he'd waive it to come to Winnipeg to get bought out at 67% of his salary over 2 years. That's quite the pay cut, that can be avoided by just saying no.

But now I wonder if the Hawks are in full tank mode for Bedard, and finally cleaning out every single element that links them to Kyle Beach. Would Hornqvist agree to spend a year there, get paid to go on injured reserve sporatically? I'd say that's possible. It's also possible that Chicago is not on his no trade list.

What if the Jets traded Wheeler to the Hawks, who in turn eat 50% of his salary for 2 years. Maybe that takes a 2nd round pick out of us, which we don't have, but could acquire, or a prospect.

To get Wheeler at 50%, Panthers could give up Hornqvist and a 2nd, and a prospect to the Hawks. And they have some breathing room Cap wise.

Maybe add a part here and there, but is that a potential way to go for the Jets? I'd say the Hawks need to at least get what they feel is market value out of Toews in the deal.

If the team bombs, well Johnny Toews will still have trade value, but I feel like beyond Maurice a leadership change could change the whole dynamic of this team. We need to improve on the PK, and that's definitely an area Toews would address.

Replacing Wheeler on PP1 would be an opportunity for Ehlers or Perfetti that would have seemed impossible under the old regime.
I would rather have Wheeler than Toews.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
If Toews from anywhere else other than winnipeg no one would be posting about him.
Who has 3 Stanley Cup rings on this team? You don't think a kid like Perfetti who is probably going to get forced into the centre role after Scheifele and Dubois are traded, would learn something from Toews. Last year was a dud for him, but he still wasn't -17, dragging our best shooter down. I'll take a 50-60 pt centre who can kill penalties any day over a PP winger who has lost a step. Plus if you look at the Cap, you get Toews for one year, no way you re-sign him for anything close to what Wheeler is set to make next year, if you go down that road, so the money evens out in the end. I'd love to see Toews finish his career as a Jet.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Who has 3 Stanley Cup rings on this team? You don't think a kid like Perfetti who is probably going to get forced into the centre role after Scheifele and Dubois are traded, would learn something from Toews. Last year was a dud for him, but he still wasn't -17, dragging our best shooter down. I'll take a 50-60 pt centre who can kill penalties any day over a PP winger who has lost a step. Plus if you look at the Cap, you get Toews for one year, no way you re-sign him for anything close to what Wheeler is set to make next year, if you go down that road, so the money evens out in the end. I'd love to see Toews finish his career as a Jet.

Yeah I'm more on board the Toews train as he'd most certainly help our coaches out with his presence in the room. We could then run a true New age top 9.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If the young players and fans thought Wheeler was too intense and mean, then there’s no way Toews would work here.

Toews nickname is Chicago is Captain Serious. He's more of a no bullshit kind of guy. Wheeler is a bit more in your face with how passionate he is. Toews seems to be a bit more focus on the game and win kind of leader.

I think they take a similar approach to the game in that they want their guys to take training and games seriously. But I think Toews is a bit less intense about it.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
For all we know, Dubois was singing “Aloutte” before and after every game and saying how much he wanted to play for Montreal these past two years. Easy to blame the locker room on Wheeler but none of us really knows what’s going on there.

Heck, we don’t know if Stas was dogging Dubois or Schiefelle.

Moving out Wheeler will make us a worse team unless Jets management feels he is a major cause of team dissension. Even so, as we know, this is not an easy contract to move out.

Reactions: RabidOne

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yes bc those 3 cups do what for us in 2023. Those 3 cups with Duncan Keith got what in Edmonton? This isn't prime Toews, not close.
Youre projecting him with 50-60 pts he didn't even score 40 with top 6 mins and linemates. He isn't better than either pld or scheifele at this point of their careers, so doubtful he's in the top 6 as a c. So who is he playing with to achieve that high of pts total? Reminder: pld scored 61 with KC primarily.
On top of that wheeler for Toews does what for Chicago's rebuild? It doesn't fit their strategy at all. Imo they keep Toews and move him at the tdl for picks and prospects to help their rebuild to a contender of his choosing.
I wouldn't mind Toews but for the cost of wheeler don't think so, and even at 50% retained its an overpay for his production and the 6m in cap space we have. If we're in the PO mix inquire at the tdl.

Reactions: hn777

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Yes bc those 3 cups do what for us in 2023. Those 3 cups with Duncan Keith got what in Edmonton? This isn't prime Toews, not close.
Youre projecting him with 50-60 pts he didn't even score 40 with top 6 mins and linemates. He isn't better than either pld or scheifele at this point of their careers, so doubtful he's in the top 6 as a c. So who is he playing with to achieve that high of pts total? Reminder: pld scored 61 with KC primarily.
On top of that wheeler for Toews does what for Chicago's rebuild? It doesn't fit their strategy at all. Imo they keep Toews and move him at the tdl for picks and prospects to help their rebuild to a contender of his choosing.
I wouldn't mind Toews but for the cost of wheeler don't think so, and even at 50% retained its an overpay for his production and the 6m in cap space we have. If we're in the PO mix inquire at the tdl.
Or maybe with visionary forward thinking, Chi mgmt could foresee Wheels bringing in a new, different perspective experienced leadership, in an aged player who still puts up 60++ pts and can still drive play every 3rd or 4th shift. If Wheels fizzles, send him packing with a mid-tier prospect/ 3rd liner for something else come the trade deadline. Wheeler doesn't have the past history hold on this franchise that JT represents and would be less intimidating on newer younger players the B-hawks are riddled with.
I should give them a call and push for this, no?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Over for
I would rather have Wheeler than Toews.
Over for a backyard Bbq? Maybe. But the Jets need new influence and experience input and type of mentoring to the core-in-waiting. Toews would be a prime replacement type with the ability to win key faceoffs and not be a negative on offensive play driving and finishing that adam lowry presents whenever moved up to attempt to control kry faceoffs, play starts in critical games. New coaching would utilize JT more effectively, without the previous propensity to rely on Scheif's in the faceoff circle, all the time/ every time/ every where proving to have not worked out positively, too often. The shakeup must happenn with either: Wheels being dealt, or Scheifele moved on. Statsny is not returning this time around to push for better team play along the bench. JT has always been known as a respectful, communicative, approachable leader to younger players over the years in Chicago.
For this team to really move forward and turn a corner in key areas, this is my suggestion.
Maybe quietly Chevy has looked into this scenario but has been shutdown by Chi mgmt? And/or Wheels wants nothing 6o do with Chicago B-H's?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Or maybe with visionary forward thinking, Chi mgmt could foresee Wheels bringing in a new, different perspective experienced leadership, in an aged player who still puts up 60++ pts and can still drive play every 3rd or 4th shift. If Wheels fizzles, send him packing with a mid-tier prospect/ 3rd liner for something else come the trade deadline. Wheeler doesn't have the past history hold on this franchise that JT represents and would be less intimidating on newer younger players the B-hawks are riddled with.

There is zero chance Wheeler is waiving to go to a team in a total rebuild for the next two seasons. The JT for Wheeler or Wheeler to Chicago is the craziest story arc we have going this off season :laugh:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Think that's a bit of a stretch personally. At the end of the day, Toews controls where he goes with a full NMC. I think given his legendary status in Chicago this season will basically serve a fairwell tour for him prior to choosing which contender he choses to go to at the TDL. if you really want him, Hope that Chevy has built a good enough team that has us as one of his choices.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Wrong. Toews is a winner. Wheeler's won squat.
Your logic doesn’t even make sense here.

Just because Toewswon cups doesn’t mean he isn’t intense and mean, his nickname is captain serious for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
For all we know, Dubois was singing “Aloutte” before and after every game and saying how much he wanted to play for Montreal these past two years. Easy to blame the locker room on Wheeler but none of us really knows what’s going on there.

Heck, we don’t know if Stas was dogging Dubois or Schiefelle.

Moving out Wheeler will make us a worse team unless Jets management feels he is a major cause of team dissension. Even so, as we know, this is not an easy contract to move out.
I would say this on if it’s Scheifele or Dubois..

Darren Dreger is the mouth piece of Chevy, easily has the best tapped in sources to True North.

The trade narratives for Scheifele came up and Darren Dreger was the one saying “He can’t see Scheifele being in camp”(I’m paraphrasing but he cited it a few times). It seemed inevitable that 55 was out.

Then, Dubois pulling this stuff changed the narrative and it’s been “55 is excited to be here and is all in.”

To me, they knew exactly who the issue was but the Dubois side of things really derailed their plans for a culture shift.

Could it be both 55 and 80? Maybe… but the bigger issue was likely 55.

That’s my two cents on it but it’s likely only worth one ;)

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
I would say this on if it’s Scheifele or Dubois..

Darren Dreger is the mouth piece of Chevy, easily has the best tapped in sources to True North.

The trade narratives for Scheifele came up and Darren Dreger was the one saying “He can’t see Scheifele being in camp”(I’m paraphrasing but he cited it a few times). It seemed inevitable that 55 was out.

Then, Dubois pulling this stuff changed the narrative and it’s been “55 is excited to be here and is all in.”

To me, they knew exactly who the issue was but the Dubois side of things really derailed their plans for a culture shift.

Could it be both 55 and 80? Maybe… but the bigger issue was likely 55.

That’s my two cents on it but it’s likely only worth one ;)
More like 55 and 26.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Your logic doesn’t even make sense here.

Just because Toewswon cups doesn’t mean he isn’t intense and mean, his nickname is captain serious for a reason.
Yup, Wheeler at 27 was Toews at 17 lol

Wheeler has been a fine leader and captain I think. Just not the right fit any more. Both sides know it. I imagine he comes back without the letter and probably has a good year.

Reactions: Jet and surixon

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets won't survive 2 more years of this. There will be under 12k fans at some games.
I think if they went hard into a rebuild the fans would support it.

It's the same team, that missed the playoffs, coming back, with multiple players who seem like they dont want to be here any more, that has everyone up in arms I think.

It will pass if the team plays better than expected.

But I think we all know the very likely scenario is we end up with 8th or 9th pick in the draft, pick a stud, move on from whoever doesnt sign long term (of 55, 37, 80).

Reactions: ERYX

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd bet the farm that there were zero offers for Wheeler.
Yeah the Jets seem to be very... patient with getting value for Wheeler. Their asking price seemed delusional given the cap climate this off season. Holding on to him was probably the best move. If there was interest pre free agency and they didnt just give him away for free they messed up imo. Impossible to know for sure.

Maybe things are different closer to the deadline. Or more likely, he and the team patch things up and he plays out his deal here

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
There is zero chance Wheeler is waiving to go to a team in a total rebuild for the next two seasons. The JT for Wheeler or Wheeler to Chicago is the craziest story arc we have going this off season :laugh:
You got it! Crazy is as crazy does!

Yup, Wheeler at 27 was Toews at 17 lol

Wheeler has been a fine leader and captain I think. Just not the right fit any more. Both sides know it. I imagine he comes back without the letter and probably has a good year.
Would be, will be nice outcome if...not too likely. If not dealt, he is still wearing the "C" until he tears it off his jersey and throws in the Kane-stall shower! Yucka, yucka.

Reactions: Zippity

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad