Post-Game Talk: Jets do enough to lose 4-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
It's likely because the second unit doesn't really have a set game plan and are therefore more creative and take what is given.

Whereas it is clear as day what the first unit is trying to do. They are trying to open seam passes to Conner and everyone knows it. Instead of adapting and taking what's given they keep trying to force one or two plays.
Scheif won't shoot - no idea why he is not leaning into a few from that spot.
I don't think the plan is to feed KC - looks more to me like Scheif is not willing to provide the same option from the left side - I don't think anyone is telling him not to shoot.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The thing is blaming Stanley is pointless. He is not the best option. Heinola or Samberg should be in for him. I just think blaming him for being what he is a 6th D for our defensive woes is ridiculous. Every team has 1 mediocre D and 5 really good ones. Avs complain about Johnson non-stop. If you bother resigning him for league minimuim is not the issue. Morrissey has been great. It's the other 4 that have to be better. Is it systems is it usage I don't know.

Reactions: LowLefty

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Scheif won't shoot - no idea why he is not leaning into a few from that spot.
I don't think the plan is to feed KC - looks more to me like Scheif is not willing to provide the same option from the left side - I don't think anyone is telling him not to shoot.

Who knows, to me he just isn't a good QB. He is largely stationary and doesn't walk in and shoot to keep teams honest.

Reactions: ecolad

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The thing is blaming Stanley is pointless. He is not the best option. Heinola or Samberg should be in for him. I just think blaming him for being what he is a 6th D for our defensive woes is ridiculous. Every team has 1 mediocre D and 5 really good ones. Avs complain about Johnson non-stop. If you bother resigning him for league minimuim is not the issue. Morrissey has been great. It's the other 4 that have to be better. Is it systems is it usage I don't know.

According to the Athletic's model, which I like and has been I think the best projection model in the past few years, only 2 defencemen on the Jets are above what could best be described as replacement level. Morrissey is at top pair numbers and Schmidt is at top 4 numbers. Everyone else is at a slightly negative value, with Dillon and Stanley being the lowest but still technically NHL level d-men.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Who knows, to me he just isn't a good QB. He is largely stationary and doesn't walk in and shoot to keep teams honest.
Exactly. Don't know how our coach's ever conceived of moving Scheif from the bumper position on the PP to the Half wall, expecting him to QB the PP? He is not adept at contolling pressure, shows litle skill in drawing defenders out of position to open passing lanes, and shows little tendency to create space for himself and actually be a scoring threat himself. I am beyond frustrated watching him drift back further and further to the boards and deep corner, with no options but to play catch with Wheeler behind the net, or, similarly play catch with Morrissey.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

No one is blaming him directly for the Jets defensive woes, or at least if they are, they're wrong.

But he's certainly an example of how size doesn't mean you can defend the front of the net or in the dzone, which has been a big topic for the past few years on here.

But really, a new (experienced and good) coach and Huddy fired into the sun could help that along the way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Exactly. Don't know how our coach's ever conceived of moving Scheif from the bumper position on the PP to the Half wall, expecting him to QB the PP? He is not adept at contolling pressure, shows litle skill in drawing defenders out of position to open passing lanes, and shows little tendency to create space for himself and actually be a scoring threat himself. I am beyond frustrated watching him drift back further and further to the boards and deep corner, with no options but to play catch with Wheeler behind the net, or, similarly play catch with Morrissey.

Yup him playing as he is puts everyone else on the pp in a less then ideal spot. He gets it to JoMo and JoMo has no lane to shoot and can either pass it back or move it to Conner. Wheeler is also usually covered and then try to force passes through players to Conner.

The 1st unit works much better when it is working through Connor on the left.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
No one is blaming him directly for the Jets defensive woes, or at least if they are, they're wrong.

But he's certainly an example of how size doesn't mean you can defend the front of the net or in the dzone, which has been a big topic for the past few years on here.

But really, a new (experienced and good) coach and Huddy fired into the sun could help that along the way.
With the depth we have Stanley shouldn't be playing and it's silly to try and get a broken down junker to try and be a bmw when you have a bmw in your garage but it's pretty silly to blame the junker for being a junker.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
You have to wonder what is said in the locker room during the first intermission... year after year

Does Wheeler just not know how to motivate? This is two coaches now - actually three - that can't get this 'core' (even though the core is almost gone) to show up for the second period...
When your leader, Wheeler, doesn't lead what can we expect?
The guy stays on the ice for the full 2:00 PP despite doing nothing, takes lazy penalties, is pissy when talking to the media, doesn't come through in the clutch, doesn't hit, etc.

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Would be interesting to see how many times Wheeler and Scheif have had media availability after a loss this season - maybe its just a false impression but I can't recall all that many times
Ya, I've rarely heard 55 speaking, and when he does its not impressive to say the least.
26 a little more, but not impressive either.
44 impressive IMO.
Lack of leadership on and off the ice from 26 and 55 has been a major factor this season.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
When your leader, Wheeler, doesn't lead what can we expect?
The guy stays on the ice for the full 2:00 PP despite doing nothing, takes lazy penalties, is pissy when talking to the media, doesn't come through in the clutch, doesn't hit, etc.

I think his attitude to the media is probably well received in the room.

Reactions: gojetsgo

None

Feb 22, 2012
I think his attitude to the media is probably well received in the room.

Seems that way given what we heard behind the scenes after the Scott Billeck/Hellebuyck drama. I think the media's given some professional courtesy but beyond that I don't think the Jets leaders view the local media/beat reporters favourably.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I used the official NHL play by play tracker to get 18. The Bruins had like the last 4 shots of the 1st and the 1st 14 of the 2nd. The Jets had 1 shot after the Wheeler penalty, with 3:48 to go in the 1st, then their next shot was with 7:24 when Wheeler had that mini-breakaway from just inside the blue line.

I might have miscounted. I was just watching it on the shot clock. 23 or 18, either way it was effing awful.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
And yet he had the Jets best defensive season by xGA according to the post I quoted :dunno:

His offense dried up because he was playing 4 minutes less a game and basically no PP time. It was almost entirely usage related.

Yup. it was his offence. But that was the point of sitting him for that game. Jets were struggling to score so they were trying anything to try to get some scoring. Enstrom out, Kulikov in. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, but it was an attempt to get some scoring going.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
OK he can defend - he just chooses not to (TY) - why do you suppose that is?
Off year? What does that mean? How can a player play 60+ games and still be "off"?
Are we blaming Dillon? So we have another $6M defender who needs to be sheltered?

If he can defend, it's about time he started doing it - no excuses, we need the "contract year" Pionk back or this will go down as a massive overpayment.

It's funny how we had the same supposed garbage D systems LY and yet this guy had no trouble tracking forwards and stopping them in their tracks - but now he can't (or won't) - but it's the same system. Or is it Dillons fault. I'm going with a lack of money motivation over Dillon dragging this guy down.

I don't have a certain explanation. I am not blaming Dillon. I am blaming a mismatch between him and Dillon. No more Dillon's fault than Pionk's. But Pionk seemed much better in his short stint with Samberg, a rookie.

I agree, we need Pionk to get back to the way he was last year.

Reactions: LowLefty

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Size and skill - did you miss the part where I stated they are going to give him more time before they throw in the towel?
Stan as a player today, is not good enough - he needs to be better.
Does he have more to offer or has he hit his peak? Not worth debating TBH because the Jets appear to be giving him a little more rope in order to find out.

But Jets D problems are still not about size. And Stan has had a couple of pretty good games lately. I'll take good AND big evertday. But I think it is sometimes harder for the really big guys to also be skilled. Their size is a two sided coin. They have more strength, more reach and less agility and speed.

In the end, I don't care how big or small they are. I care about how effective they are. Net.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yup. it was his offence. But that was the point of sitting him for that game. Jets were struggling to score so they were trying anything to try to get some scoring. Enstrom out, Kulikov in. I'm not saying it was the right thing to do, but it was an attempt to get some scoring going.

I think it's part of a larger problem with the team's coaches (and maybe management) over the years that they've struggled to identify what contributions the team needs from their defensemen to be successful overall.

Reactions: Mbraunm and surixon

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
iirc Enstrom-Buff were one of the best pairs in the entire league that year defensively.

By my recollection, he had fallen off pretty badly. Someone else already pointed out that it was really his offence that disappeared and that may be what is colouring my memory of it. He also may have fallen off defensively through the season. Not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad